Computer won't boot to bios. Mobo failure?

Associate
Hi all, a bit at my wits end with this. Specs:

MSI B450M GAMING PLUS AM4 DDR4 mATX Motherboard
Ryzen 5 2600 AM4 Processor
Sapphire Pulse Vega 56
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200 2400MHz
WD Green SSD 240GB 2.5 7mm SATA Gen 3
WD Blue 1TB 3.5" SATA Desktop Hard Drive
Corsair TX550M 550W 80 Plus Gold Power Supply

I carried out a couple of upgrades over christmas, I changed the stock wraith CPU cooler to a Noctua cooler, I also changed the PSU to an EVGA 850w G3 80 plus Gold, this was at the same time. I had a bit of trouble getting the cooler backplate on and it fell down the back of my motherboard a couple times.

When I turned it on it would only boot to bios and would not detect either of the SATA drives, tried CMOS reset with no luck. I do not have another PC to test the drives on. It would also show only half my RAM on the bios, following the CMOS reset it briefly showed the full 16GB, then back to 8GB.

Now the computer will not even boot to bios, nothing. It was in perfect working order before I changed the cooler and PSU. I tried changing back to the old psu, change sata power leads etc.

Should I try replacing the motherboard?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Try reseating the cooler and see if this makes a difference.

Also did you remove the CPU when you swapped coolers? If so check for any bent pins.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Try reseating the cooler and see if this makes a difference.

Also did you remove the CPU when you swapped coolers? If so check for any bent pins.

No I didnt remove the cpu, but I did clean off the old thermal paste from the top before applying the new paste that came with the noctua. However when it would boot to bios (but not detecting any SATA) it would show the Ryzen CPU in bios. I will try that when I get home thank you.

Associate
OP
Will not boot to bios?
Meaning blank screen?
Or no power/sign of life at all?
Try removing bios battery for 10 minutes

Yeah no signal detected. It would boot to bios before, but not detect any SATA and only showed half my RAM. I tried reseating the RAM sticks and now just get no signal detected on my monitor.

Associate
Did you use the SATA power cables from the Corsair PSU on the EVGA PSU? I didn't check the cable pinouts, but general rule of thumb is to only use the cables that came with the PSU.

Try taking the components out of the case and booting up with only essential components (i.e. no drives connected) to see if you can get to BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom