Assange to go!

Soldato
Do all people in the UK who have jumped bail get treated this way?

I believe he's been in a high security prison for some time now, is that to protect him or to ensure he does not do a runner again?

The amount of UK taxpayers wasted on this person is ridiculous.

Soldato
From what I can remember I thought he was being accused of a crime in Sweden that wasn't a crime here?
No, he was accused of a crime in Sweden, that is also a crime here, and also a crime in his home country of Australia (albeit the names for said crime may differ between nations). It was however not considered a crime in the head of Jullian Assange, and that's not even a joke, his original defence before he made up the "USA out ta get me" nonsense (which turned out to be a self fulfilling prophesy due to the election of Trump lol) was essentially "yeah I did it, but I don't consider it wrong".

Commissario

I believe he's been in a high security prison for some time now, is that to protect him or to ensure he does not do a runner again?

I suspect that if you're a high flight risk and have jumped bail previoulsy, then yes you would be held in prison until everything was sorted.

Given he's hidden himself away in a foreign embassy claiming asylum for years, and has some very wealthy friends who own or have access to things like private aircraft and boats, then I suspect there isn't anyone in the UK justice system classed as at a higher flight risk.

As for money wasted on him, that's not the government's fault, they have a duty to enforce the law without fear or favour, and when you have someone show such contempt of it, and break the terms of his bail as Assange did, then you don't really have much choice but to keep going after him until he's been dealt with fully by the courts otherwise you're telling people that all they have to do to avoid the legal consequences of their actions is to stay hidden or out of reach of the law for a few years*.

Fortunately there aren't many cases where a bail jumper costs the government anything like as much money.

*Ronnie Biggs for example was "on the run" for over 30 years, and when did finally see the long arm of the law again he had to finish his original sentence.

Caporegime

He's a particularly egregious case, since he went to avoid justice in an embassy for years, rather than simply hiding at his nans or simply being too disordered to actually turn up like most bail cases. I'm pretty sure, however, that anyone who had skipped bail who be remanded on custody rather than permitted bail if they were subject to extradition proceedings. Not many people are subject to extradition proceedings.

The amount of state money spent is high, yes, but what's the alternative here? Assange is subject to the rule of law like everyone else, he was subject to an arrest warrant and had skipped bail. Is the UK supposed to simply shrug their shoulders and go "oh well, I guess we'll just ignore the law then" because it's expensive? That seems like a terrible idea to me.

Soldato
The amount of state money spent is high, yes, but what's the alternative here? Assange is subject to the rule of law like everyone else, he was subject to an arrest warrant and had skipped bail. Is the UK supposed to simply shrug their shoulders and go "oh well, I guess we'll just ignore the law then" because it's expensive? That seems like a terrible idea to me.

No, they could have had very low key surveillance and catch him leaving the embassy (as no visible police presence) or track him and arrest him trying the leave the country. There are many more financially efficient ways this could have been handled. It seems to be an irresponsible use of taxpayers money based on a name.

Caporegime
No, they could have had very low key surveillance and catch him leaving the embassy (as no visible police presence) or track him and arrest him trying the leave the country. There are many more financially efficient ways this could have been handled.

I'm going to go right ahead and assume the officers involved had a better idea what level of involvement was necessary than you or I. Remember, as well, that it was neither known nor expected that Assange would spend so long hiding from rape charges at the start of this affair.

Commissario
I'm going to go right ahead and assume the officers involved had a better idea what level of involvement was necessary than you or I. Remember, as well, that it was neither known nor expected that Assange would spend so long hiding from rape charges at the start of this affair.
Also I'd like to know how they could do it "low key" and keep the surveillance up to the same level, without it costing more.

IIRC they usually had one or two officers in uniform stood there, which is about the cheapest way to do it, they could scarcely park up a "BT" or "Interflora" van outside the embassy for months at a time.

Soldato
No, he was accused of a crime in Sweden, that is also a crime here, and also a crime in his home country of Australia (albeit the names for said crime may differ between nations). It was however not considered a crime in the head of Jullian Assange, and that's not even a joke, his original defence before he made up the "USA out ta get me" nonsense (which turned out to be a self fulfilling prophesy due to the election of Trump lol) was essentially "yeah I did it, but I don't consider it wrong".

As far as I know its not an offence in this country to lie that you wore a condom when you didnt. Maybe you can point me to the UK law if I'm wrong in that?

Soldato
As far as I know its not an offence in this country to lie that you wore a condom when you didnt. Maybe you can point me to the UK law if I'm wrong in that?

Sounds like some form of sexual assault just above slapping someones ass in a bar, and way below what most people would consider an assault. You'd probably just get a slap on the wrists unless you were maliciously spreading something.

Caporegime

That's not what he did. He removed it during sex without the knowledge of the woman. That's rape under UK law - as it should be! There was one chap who has been jailed for 12 years, although that case seems more complicated than just taking it off.

Associate
Never thought I would hear so many excuses for rape. I appreciate some people see this man as a hero for exposing mucky dealings by Governments. But it cannot be used as an excuse to face criminal sexual assault charges.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I found a good, old article on the allegations and charges which details opinions of all involved. There's enough to form your own opinion.

Last edited:
Soldato
In this country it's called "Rape" ;)

Allegedly.

There are some very strange things about the case in that if Miss A had been raped then why would she the next day be still working as Assanges press secretary? Also the Miss W person who complained, Miss A knew her, even had invited her to a conference which Assanges was speaking at. Miss W was allegedly assaulted a few days after the Miss A incident, yet why didn't Miss A say anything to Miss W, when she knew she and Assange would be sleeping together?

It seems to be an unusual situation from the very few facts we know of the case. What is clear though is Assange was never charged, and he has many powerful enemies.

Never thought I would hear so many excuses for rape.

Allegedly.

Back
Top Bottom