New essential Android apps thread

V_R

V_R

Soldato
The dev going back on their word basically. Turns out 'Lifetime' actually means 6 or 8 years.

But as mrk said, Androids built in 'Find my Device' is all most folks need.

Associate
I got the free lifetime version years ago during a sale or something but that expired about a year or two later with an email from the dev saying obviously they can't run a business like that. At the time I had a rooted Nexus 4 and it made sense to have it installed but I think by the time it expired I was on a non rooted Samsung and didn't see the need to buy it.

It was a good app but I do think it's time has passed unless you've got a pixel phone where you can get use of all the features more easily

I liked the idea of the app should my phone be stolen. But its never happened and all these years I've never directly used the app ever. Guess it wasn't needed after all other than peace of mind knowing I can remotely wipe the app, get photos of the person who stole the phone etc.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
If you are on Samsung, you have a few more options like tracking its location over time etc too.

Cheers @mrk not really bothered with it for the last 3 generations as I've always had Cerberus setup but I've enabled everything to try it.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
I got the free lifetime version years ago during a sale or something but that expired about a year or two later with an email from the dev saying obviously they can't run a business like that. At the time I had a rooted Nexus 4 and it made sense to have it installed but I think by the time it expired I was on a non rooted Samsung and didn't see the need to buy it.

It was a good app but I do think it's time has passed unless you've got a pixel phone where you can get use of all the features more easily

Same here my S8 and S10e never needed rooting so most of the functions were redundant anyway so not gonna miss much

Soldato
Has anyone else noticed you don't seem to get a notification any more when you update an app or you install a new app from the Play store? I'm noticing this on both my OP7TP on A10 and S5e on A9. I had the issue in early December but it only affected updated apps and was fixed a short while after, then the issue recently came back again, this time also affecting newly installed apps.

EDIT: Oh, seems it really is broken again: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...ations-no-longer-showing-up-for-updated-apps/

yep same doesn't show when i download an app now. is frustrating as i click download, leave it to do it's thing and with the intention of the phone reminding me to now use this new app as it's in the notifications as a new app, but as it's no longer there it's easy to forget about it

Soldato
There's been an update: https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...ions-no-longer-showing-up-for-updated-apps/#3

Following our most recent update, a Google spokesperson reached out to provide further clarification on this developing story. As it turns out, absent Play Store notifications for updated apps is an intended feature, not a bug.

Well that's frustrating. Sometimes when I notice an app updates I usually check it to see what new features it has and/or if it fixed a bug I noticed previously. And as above, it's a nice way of knowing when a new app has finished installing, especially if it's a large app.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend me a good shift work app? I currently use Shift Work Schedule, and it's perfect for showing my shifts and alarming me when I'm going to work, but I'd like a little extra if possible :-

Add holidays (with a counter of possible?)
Add overtime
Add shift swaps

Thanks in advance.

Associate
There's a setting in the Windows app for phone screen sharing:

N18MFIf.jpg
ks2tyoH.jpg
Only supports the below phones;

Currently the feature is only available on the following Android phones in select markets running Android 7.0 or greater:
  • Samsung Galaxy Note10
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
  • Samsung Galaxy Fold
  • Samsung Galaxy S10
  • Samsung Galaxy S10+
  • Samsung Galaxy S10e
  • Samsung Galaxy A30s
  • Samsung Galaxy A50s
  • Samsung Galaxy A90 5G
Currently the feature is only available on the following Android phones in select markets running Android 7.0 or greater:

• Samsung Galaxy Note10
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
  • Samsung Galaxy Fold
  • Samsung Galaxy S10
  • Samsung Galaxy S10+
  • Samsung Galaxy S10e
  • Samsung Galaxy A30s
  • Samsung Galaxy A50s
  • Samsung Galaxy A90 5G

Back
Top Bottom