• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2016's $170~ GPUs vs. 2019's $170~ GPUs, RX 470 vs. RX 5500 XT & 1650 Super

Soldato
Thanks for video link. Zero surprise tbh. We have had poor improvements for money spent for some time now unfortunately. Hoping now AMD has seemingly got efficiency under control with RDNA that we will see some proper gains and value soon from both companies.

Edit: I laughed. I laughed at the 5500 xt and 1650 super "they suck" comment.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
It's indicative of the whole GPU market as well. This is why people (including myself) moan about the state of the market and the cost of GPU's for the performance they offer. It's frankly terrible it took nearly 3 years for the same price point to get meager gains in performance.

On the plus side, it saves me money, because I now have to leave longer between upgrades in the same price bracket to get the same performance uplift I did in the past. So the tech companies are now actually seeing less of my money than they did before, because I won't increase my budget to the next price tier of GPU just to see the same increase as I used to get for staying in the same price tier.

Caporegime
Thanks for video link. Zero surprise tbh. We have had poor improvements for money spent for some time now unfortunately. Hoping now AMD has seemingly got efficiency under control with RDNA that we will see some proper gains and value soon from both companies.

Edit: I laughed. I laughed at the 5500 xt and 1650 super "they suck" comment.

They haven't though have they? AMD's parts are tiny thanks to 7nm but their performance per watt relative to that is poor.

The first example that comes to mind is the 5700XT compared to the 2070 Super, the 2070 Super users slightly more power at about double the size.

Soldato
They haven't though have they? AMD's parts are tiny thanks to 7nm but their performance per watt relative to that is poor.

The first example that comes to mind is the 5700XT compared to the 2070 Super, the 2070 Super users slightly more power at about double the size.

I was really referring to RDNA2, and and what they -rumours- seem to be achieving with it. RDNA and power use have dropped a fair amount though. Now they just need to scale their designs.

I am just gonna wait it out for an RT card now from either company and get a cheapo stand in.

Absolutely agreed btw. Compared to Nvidia efficiency is way off.

Associate
And the saddest thing is nvidia's card prices & stock price goes up & up despite offering garbage the last few years. Rewarded for bringing about the worse couple of years in modern memory for gpus. AMD are pretty much just as bad. Its been dire the last 3 years or so. I use to like upgrading gpu's yearly but they needed improvements and at a justified cost.

I was late to the party getting a GTX980ti and that was still like 3 years ago and i still cannot see any justifiable upgrade path for the money they want. Its been 4.5 years since it was released and really what do I or others get? If the RTX2080 Super could be had for £400 fair enough but £600+, especially not when you could have had a GTX1080ti several years back for similar money. And a proper upgrade is over £1,000. Joke price. I guess the saving grace is that apart from an epenis boost there isn't a real need to upgrade so ill hold on to my cash and i wish more people did the same.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
£570 1080ti (09/2017) - best value upgrade in a while
and before that...£400 7990 (10/2013)

aaah...those were the days...

Soldato
Still got my Titan XP. Paid £625 in June 2017. I have another rig with a 2070 Super in. First GPU I had bought in over a year and replaced the Vega 64 I picked up in November 2018 that I paid £230 for.

I thought the Super was a decent price. Not fantastic, but good enough to warrant a purchase. Wish I could say the same for RT....

Associate
£570 1080ti (09/2017) - best value upgrade in a while
and before that...£400 7990 (10/2013)

aaah...those were the days...

Yep, I remember getting one of my favourite cards, the GTX8800 for like £440 on Day one and it was a beast. Now they want £1,000+ for that sort of an improvement.

Getting a 4870x2 for sub £400 (2 cards in 1)!!! Its a pity that sli/crossfire had problems.

Soldato
Am so pleased as it would cost a fortune these days for an SLI setup :eek:

My last SLI setup was two GTX 780ti which only cost about £700 total for both the gpu's now it costs around 1k for just one gpu

True, but on the flip-side you can get a single card (5700) stronger than those 2 for £250, even assuming >80% scaling & available in every game.

Soldato
There has been an overwhelming lack of progress at all price points for the last 5 years really. The increasing cost of development, and production will take a part of this blame but a lack of competition will always cause stagnation.

Soldato
There has been an overwhelming lack of progress at all price points for the last 5 years really. The increasing cost of development, and production will take a part of this blame but a lack of competition will always cause stagnation.
I wonder how much it is due to no competition

As look at how the price of mobile phones have gone up to crazy prices of £1200+ for the top end ones and there loads of competition

Soldato

As look at how the price of mobile phones have gone up to crazy prices of £1200+ for the top end ones and there loads of competition

Development cost is skyrocketing too. The money being pumped into these 7/5/3nm fabs will have to come from somewhere and that means increased wafer cost which wil only get worse.

Associate

Funny thing about those £1000+ phones it that you can get a Chinese phone from a company like Xiaomi which will have similar specs for £300~.

Wish I could buy a Chinese GPU with 2080+ performance for £300 :D

Soldato
Funny thing about those £1000+ phones it that you can get a Chinese phone from a company like Xiaomi which will have similar specs for £300~.

Wish I could buy a Chinese GPU with 2080+ performance for £300 :D

Only problem with Chinese phones, many lack security updates or when a new major Android version is released. They require you to buy a new phone of a similar spec instead updating the software current one.

Lets hope the Intel GPU's can shake up the market even more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom