*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
I have 2 x UAP-AC-LR units looking to get another to cover my garden but are the Nano HD units better for the money?

The HD and SHD have the best range if any UniFi units but if you’re happy with the AC performance of your existing LR’s then they’re much cheaper, and the HD units definitely aren’t worth the price premium.

If it’s for outside then the AP-AC-Mesh is the best option.

Soldato
Did you set it up in the phone app or PC software?

If so that is the controller, you just don’t get all the benefits of using if it’s not running 24/7 but it will ‘just work’.

Soldato
Haven't set anything up at the moment. I just have an unused AP and am debating using that along with my homehub. I did reset the AP and then connect it to my switch and it powers on etc but not sure it's doing much!

Other options would be to use the homehub for the 5ghz and then use the AP-Pro for the 2.4ghz band. But not sure that's possible.

Soldato
Out of interest, if i'm using an AP-Pro connected to a BT Homehub to increase range.

Do i need to configure the AP in a controller or should it just "work"?

To answer your question explicitly, no, it won’t ‘just work’.

It must be set up through a controller.

As has been stated by several posters, you can now download the UniFi app to your smartphone and configure the Access Point from there. You will need to register for a Ubiquiti user name and also be aware that if you change smartphone you may have to factory reset their access point and start again, as, as has been mentioned, the phone becomes the controller and the Access Point is locked to the controller.

Caporegime
Any one here have a UDM? I have an AP-LR and whilst it's many times better than my SH, there are still outer parts of the house that are a bit flaky. I fancied getting fully onboard with the Unifi ecosystem and to learn more about networking (another AP, possibly a USG and definitely a switch). However have just come across the UDM which seems to do everything.

Yes, but for the money you are wasting on meshing you could pay someone to run a cable. It would be at least 4 times as fast and completely consistent. Even indoor radio systems are subject to atmospheric effects/solar activity and are less consistent as a result.

Combing through the thread and just seen this which has made me ponder. Apart from the back kitchen* the WiFi in the house is pretty good. The easiest upgrade would be to simply add another AP in the kitchen to cover that and the garden. However I would like to hard wire my computer upstairs as whilst it manages to stream just fine from the HTPC downstairs, it can struggle at high bit rate 1080p and it's not even worth trying 4K :p. The house is rented though so the wiring/trunking solution needs to be easy and easy to remove (back of living room, across the ceiling, a very short distance across the hallway ceiling, through the banisters and then under our bedroom door - the room is basically directly above). My DIY skills are pretty shoddy but I can learn. I would also like to hard wire the HTPC which sits right next to the AP-LR.

*I wonder if my wife's S10e has a weaker radio than my older Note 9 as her WiFi is a lot more flaky than mine in the kitchen.

Last edited:
Soldato
If your rented the simplest solution would be to get another AP and set it up in mesh mode, sure it will not get full throughput but it will be fast enough for projecting your (assuming) FTTC out to the garden. Just make sure you site the second so in a strong signal area and not on the edge of the first APs range or the throughout will be really poor.

While I agree cables are the best solution, visible cables, particularly across things like ceilings will be ugly, seriously ugly. With the mesh you don’t have to worry about making changes to a property that isn’t yours.

I’d suggest getting a nanoHD and placing that as your core AP and putting the slower LR out on the mesh.

Edit: the nanoHD has a better 4x4 antena so it will not only give you more range than your current ap, it will have more throughout than the 2x2 antenna on your current AP. If you go down the mesh route it will do a better job as the primary ap as it will need to use WiFi as the backhaul and therefore you are better off using the fastest AP as the primary AP to avoid bottlenecks.

Last edited:
Associate
The dream machine interests me, seems it's a nano hd plus a router basically.
Seems ideal.

The UDM is an all in one solution, WiFi access point, 4 port switch (no POE ports), router and Unifi controller in a small box. I have had mine since November and it has perfomed very well, I am currently running a custom beta firmware as the current UDM firmware 1.5.5 doesn't support wireless uplinks.
A new UDM SE model is going to be released soon, this I understand has an LCD/OLED screen and may have POE ports.

Soldato
The UDM is an all in one solution, WiFi access point, 4 port switch (no POE ports), router and Unifi controller in a small box. I have had mine since November and it has perfomed very well, I am currently running a custom beta firmware as the current UDM firmware 1.5.5 doesn't support wireless uplinks.
A new UDM SE model is going to be released soon, this I understand has an LCD/OLED screen and may have POE ports.

The much discussed ‘black’ UDM isn’t even in the Early Access store yet. So any features it may or may not have are guessed at from FCC filings and from looking at an accidentally released picture of what might have been an Alien prototype. Outside of the Alpha programme participants, no-one really knows what’s coming through. The UDM was in the EA store for 7 months before it launched, so ‘soon’ may be a bit elastic.

And given the UDM is the thick end of £300 then a UDM with PoE is going to be another £100 at least, so it’s not going to be cheap.

Soldato
Any one here have a UDM? I have an AP-LR and whilst it's many times better than my SH, there are still outer parts of the house that are a bit flaky. I fancied getting fully onboard with the Unifi ecosystem and to learn more about networking (another AP, possibly a USG and definitely a switch). However have just come across the UDM which seems to do everything.

Combing through the thread and just seen this which has made me ponder. Apart from the back kitchen* the WiFi in the house is pretty good. The easiest upgrade would be to simply add another AP in the kitchen to cover that and the garden. However I would like to hard wire my computer upstairs as whilst it manages to stream just fine from the HTPC downstairs, it can struggle at high bit rate 1080p and it's not even worth trying 4K :p. The house is rented though so the wiring/trunking solution needs to be easy and easy to remove (back of living room, across the ceiling, a very short distance across the hallway ceiling, through the banisters and then under our bedroom door - the room is basically directly above). My DIY skills are pretty shoddy but I can learn. I would also like to hard wire the HTPC which sits right next to the AP-LR.

*I wonder if my wife's S10e has a weaker radio than my older Note 9 as her WiFi is a lot more flaky than mine in the kitchen.

If it’s only 1 cable then running it along the skirting boards and around door frames is probably the tidiest and least destructive solution.

And most landlords don’t have a problem with people adding a feature to a property as long as they have the opportunity to give permission and it’s done professionally. Your landlord may even have an electrical contractor that could do the work for you.

Caporegime
If it’s only 1 cable then running it along the skirting boards and around door frames is probably the tidiest and least destructive solution.

And most landlords don’t have a problem with people adding a feature to a property as long as they have the opportunity to give permission and it’s done professionally. Your landlord may even have an electrical contractor that could do the work for you.
It's definitely worth asking and the landlord's father is a handy man as he comes to fix any issues (so at the very least should know someone if he can't himself). I think I will still need a switch as I want to wire the HTPC as well but that's right next to all of the gear.

Back
Top Bottom