• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Keep or flog it!

Associate
Hi Guys,

I currently been away from the PC scene for years and now I want to get back into it.

Well I have an Intel i7 Extreme 990x and Asus P6X58-E motherboard paired up with 4 x 4GB G-Skill sticks and a GTX580.

I am major cash strapped and I want to get something more modern but not sure I would get much if not anything for this lot. Is the 990x still any good in today's gaming world and can the X58 chipset handle a PCI M.2 SSD's? Thanks

Soldato
Hi Guys,

I currently been away from the PC scene for years and now I want to get back into it.

Well I have an Intel i7 Extreme 990x and Asus P6X58-E motherboard paired up with 4 x 4GB G-Skill sticks and a GTX580.

I am major cash strapped and I want to get something more modern but not sure I would get much if not anything for this lot. Is the 990x still any good in today's gaming world and can the X58 chipset handle a PCI M.2 SSD's? Thanks

990X won't hold you back as much as the GTX580 does. A 9900K/8700K are 50% faster in games than the 990X using cards like the GTX1080Ti & RTX2080Ti which are out of your price range already.

Windows 10 (last day to upgrade for free) and a new GPU would keep you going at 1080p for the foreseeable future.

As for M.2s the X58 platform doesn't support them.

If I knew your PSU & what budget for GPU you have, can help you further.

Associate
You wont get much for the 990x as its... well not worth much although it will likely bring in more than it should due to older intel kit having an unreasonably large second hand value (for some really odd reason).
I would have thought a 9900k would be a lot faster than 50%? Heck i would expect a 3600 to pull the 990x trousers down let alone a 9900k.

Associate
OP
I got an SSD from work that seems to decent-ish from an HP Prodesk.

The power supply i believe is an X-Power Pro GTX 850w and the I am thinking of throwing money at a cheapest GTX 1660 or an 5500XT is possible.

Associate
OP
No it isnt overclocked, I try and keep away from such tweaks to keep energy consumption down. Would the CPU hold back an card in this price bracket £150-£200?

Soldato
No it isnt overclocked, I try and keep away from such tweaks to keep energy consumption down. Would the CPU hold back an card in this price bracket £150-£200?

Should be good still. Or it won't hold it back by much.

Getting that CPU to 4ghz will be very easy and not use much extra power at all. But if you are worried about power consumption I would buy something all new.

Caporegime
from looks of it its about same as a i7 2700k stock in games. so old but with reasonable gpu would be fine with most things. 570 amd is probably a nice match for 1080 with it. should play most things fine.

Soldato
You wont get much for the 990x as its... well not worth much although it will likely bring in more than it should due to older intel kit having an unreasonably large second hand value (for some really odd reason).
I would have thought a 9900k would be a lot faster than 50%? Heck i would expect a 3600 to pull the 990x trousers down let alone a 9900k.

Last 2 years a lot of games moved to multi threading. Look at how the 8350 performs today, you will be surprised how that archaic chip holds better today than 6 years ago.

Quad cores are the ones who have suffered a lot recently, 6-8 cores are pretty descent

Soldato
Not as a bootable drive, but you could use an m.2 nvme drive as a storage drive.

It may be possible to mod the mb bios to be able to boot from nvme.

I would sell what you have while the boards are still valuable to some.

The guy would need to buy extension card to plug on the PCIe slots to have NVME driver to work. X58 has no slots to use M.2 NVME drives

But those card slots cost as much as a cheap motherboard like the B450 Tomahawk Max. By that point better off sell and buy a new Ryzen system.

Associate
on cpubenchmark.net the 990x cpu has a rating of 9049 whereas a ryzen 3600 is 19853

with your 16gb RAM your cpu should be OK for most games unless you need >120 fps for fast paced shooters.

but you will still need a gpu upgrade.

Soldato
The guy would need to buy extension card to plug on the PCIe slots to have NVME driver to work. X58 has no slots to use M.2 NVME drives

But those card slots cost as much as a cheap motherboard like the B450 Tomahawk Max. By that point better off sell and buy a new Ryzen system.

Not really, they're about £15 for a reputable brand pcie slot adapter. It's the multiple m.2 slot adapters for 4 cards in a x16 slot that are expensive.
Chinese adapters off ebay are about a fiver.

I'm not saying it's a great idea, just that it's doable.

Associate
OP
I am in a position to get rid of it all but not sure it will give me much back to get a decent CPU, Motherboard RAm and GPU and a decent experience

Soldato
I am in a position to get rid of it all but not sure it will give me much back to get a decent CPU, Motherboard RAm and GPU and a decent experience

Look, to "future proof" on budget, B450 Tomahawk MAX at £90 is a great value. This board can take the 16 core 3950X and the upcoming 4000 series.

Paired with a Ryzen 3600 £177 and £80 16GB 3200Mhz ram. Total £347
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cruc...gb-kit-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3200-udimm-my-20b-cr.html

The kit has it's own discussion how to overclock it also.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/ballistix-sport-lt-overclocking.18861166/

If you can sell your current mobo, cpu, ram, gpu for £340-350 you should be laughing.

However you need to buy a GPU. Hence while writing this I would say wait for the new Ryzen 4000 APUs.

If we learned something from their laptop sibling, the Vega GPU on the APUs got a 59-60% performance boost. You won't need to get a GPU, while might cost as much as the Ryzen 3600.

Food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom