The Rise of YouTube

Man of Honour
I sub to about 80 channels so just open it up on my TV at home and instantly have loads of relevant content to hand. Its pretty much replaced my traditional TV viewing (i.e. BBC and the like - still sub to Netflix and Google Video for TV series/films).

I guess if you don't sub to things you like and only look at the most popular videos it would be a bit random.

Associate
Mine if full of Key and Peele recommended videos at the moment, those dudes were hilarious
Ha same, a mate sent a few in work and now I've seen so many. They are brilliant. I've also subbed to a couple of other comedy channels like Pitch Meetings, How it Should have Ended and Honest Trailers. I like things that take the **** out of movies it seems.

Soldato
I think I sub to about 200+ channels.

The main subjects tend to be sports, political, free thinking, computer tech, gaming, and old retro games and tv/film channels.

I think the only time I unsub from a channel is if the person is being an idiot or childish, or the channel doesn't get updated and the content is of no use.

Soldato
Love youtube, have Afew surf ones that are also great entertainment like Jamie o Brian, also car ones like Harry's garage,, as said the filming quality has vastly improved, watch hours of music videos with headphones also, mainly after alcohol

Soldato
As said YouTube is such a trove of information but it's biggest strength is obviously that it's free. It used to cost Google hundreds of millions per year to run it, I still don't know if they're making a profit from it. Maybe now that they probably own so much of the internet infrastructure and their knowledge of server farm tech has matured are they making a profit.

So it mainly about money, tech and centralisation yet again.

The rise of the YouTubers has got a lot to do with, again, technology. Faster and cheaper smartphones, 4g - and now 5g - and better camera tech. Meaning obviously that anyone can create good quality videos for cheap just on a phone. So somewhat, 'the rise of the smartphone'.

YouTubers have so much to credit to the editors of their videos, some of who have almost Hollywood level of editing skills.

I use it for everything I need to know. Learning how to program car keys, plaster walls, fix flooring, cooking, car repairs, pc tech stuff etc.

I think the generation above us still can't really get their heads around the fact we have so much knowledge at our fingertips. It scares a lot of tradesmen, and understandably so.

Take the programming of car keys for example, very easy to do yet it all sounds so complex at the beginning when your trying to work out how it's done, what software and hardware you need. If you go onto any auto locksmith or car forum, people can be very cagey about giving out information as they want to protect their trade, that's understandable. It reminds you of the saying, 'knowledge is power'. It also reminds you that secret societies were and are a real thing and if you can protect and hide specific knowledge from others than you can have significant power over other people.

Can't do that now with sites like YouTube all the info at your fingertips.

Last edited:
Soldato
That said mine is now nicely tailored to me so its full of science / tech, movie trailers, comedy, independent short films, makers channels (woodworking etc) and other things that are nice to watch for 10 - 15 mins. It only gets spoilt when I click on something on here and forget to go in to incognito mode and it taints my profile :p Like watching a Nigel Farage speech that was posted in SC, still get his ugly mug popping up from time to time :rolleyes:

This really. Not that I use it, but it's like people saying Facebook is full of rubbish. Facebook is full of what you follow?! Just watch and sub to the right things and you'll find loads of great content. Also, just go to history and remove a video if it's scewing your feed. :)

I generally watch tech, cycling, photo and video editing channels, with a couple of vloggers in there too.

GCN - Some great cycling content
Peter Lindgren - Photo and video
MKBHD - Tech
Casey Neistat - Vlog (In think)
Tom Scott - UK based interesting facts
Mr Mobile - Tech
Peter McKinnon - Photo and video
Screen Junkies - For Honest Trailers
HISHE - How it should have ended movie comics

I personally don't think the quality has increased over just the last two or three years, I think maybe just accessibility has meant sub counts have gone up.

Soldato
OP
Interesting spread of people here and their use.

Mods: We should have a poll!

Never watch youtube
Only watch youtube for occasional link sent or how to
Sub to some channels, occasionally watch
Watch on both phone and TV as a part of my daily viewing
I am YouTube

:D

Soldato
Interesting spread of people here and their use.

Mods: We should have a poll!

Never watch youtube
Only watch youtube for occasional link sent or how to
Sub to some channels, occasionally watch
Watch on both phone and TV as a part of my daily viewing
I am YouTube

:D

I have become YouTube.

Caporegime
When it comes to watching stuff, I'd say YouTube accounts for 80%, and Netflix 20%...

These are some of the channels I watch. Mostly a mix of gaming, tech, bodybuilding, etc.

Unbox Therapy
Dave2D
JerryRigEverything
MKBHD
Welyn, Wilsonator, Blooprint, Frost (Rust YouTubers)
Shroud
Davie504
Jeff Nippard
Juji & Tom
GracieBreakdown
Linus Tech Tips
Eric Bugenhagen
Nick's Strength and Power
Mike Thurston
Alan Thrall
Hotboxin' with Mike Tyson
Primitive Technology
Athlean-X
DriveTribe
Larry Wheels

Soldato
I think the generation above us still can't really get their heads around the fact we have so much knowledge at our fingertips. It scares a lot of tradesmen, and understandably so.

Take the programming of car keys for example, very easy to do yet it all sounds so complex at the beginning when your trying to work out how it's done, what software and hardware you need. If you go onto any auto locksmith or car forum, people can be very cagey about giving out information as they want to protect their trade, that's understandable. It reminds you of the saying, 'knowledge is power'. It also reminds you that secret societies were and are a real thing and if you can protect and hide specific knowledge from others than you can have significant power over other people.

Can't do that now with sites like YouTube all the info at your fingertips.

Very true, the amount of information available now is just crazy with tutorials on pretty much anything (not always good but at least they give you a hint).

I've been able to fix so many things and start new projects due to Youtube that otherwise would have resulted in me paying for a service, throwing something away or not even being able to start a new hobby. The makers "movement" on Youtube (can't think of a better word) is a great example of how skills that would otherwise be limited to an apprentice of a craftsman now being available to all who in turn share knowledge of their own work.

Soldato
OP
I've been able to fix so many things and start new projects due to Youtube that otherwise would have resulted in me paying for a service, throwing something away or not even being able to start a new hobby. The makers "movement" on Youtube (can't think of a better word) is a great example of how skills that would otherwise be limited to an apprentice of a craftsman now being available to all who in turn share knowledge of their own work.
Also agree on this for so many things. I can't use photoshop to save my life, and so pick up bits and pieces all from youtube. Likewise, I haven't been able to find a wallet I liked for years. Mine broke and I wanted something specific, nothing was around ever like that. So I ordered the leather from etsy, got up youtube and made my own. Came out really well considering I've never done anything like that. Won't ever find one like it lol it's bright pink :D

Soldato
It can't produce high quality original shows like The Wire, Chernobyl etc

Although i guess it's not the 'TV' creating those shows

Yes I meant the medium and model of TV and channels rather than the content itself - anything good now just requires a device with a screen and internet access rather than say, paying for a certain satellite or cable box/package, isn't subject to the whims of scheduling or a limited catch-up viewing window etc. If you're not handcuffed by your broadband provider requiring some set-top box package there's literally no reason to own one these days.

Associate
I'm constantly looking for good travel shows on YouTube but I can't find any which come remotely close to the quality of TV/Netflix. The production is crap, the audio is usually pants, and the content is woeful. It's just constantly asking for likes and shares. Even outwith this genre, I'm yet to find anything which I would want to watch and usually end up putting some crap on IPlayer instead.

Genuinelly interested in suggestions but haven't seen a thing.

As for families putting up their activities, I don't get it. Outside of immediate family, and even then, who wants to watch some kid do kid stuff? I really think due to the ease of making 'content' we have too much and most of it is crap.

Really don't see the death of 'traditional' TV anytime soon.

/angryman.

Check this Bald and Bankrupt channel out, goes to India, Russia, Africa and mingles with the locals.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxDZs_ltFFvn0FDHT6kmoXA

Soldato
... do you guys watch Goonzquad? I'm an addict, I have to admit.

I have zero interest in cars ... but i enjoy watching Goonzsquad (and several other channels in that genre).

That's what I find I like about Youtube. I have lots of subscriptions to channels which interest me in some way ... and I may not follow that subject outside Youtube at all.

It's like any social media, yes there's dross on there but you just don't watch it and just subscribe to things you want to follow.

Associate
Youtube has kind of killed some things for me, but made other things better. Bicycle videos on YT have watered down the sport and devalued good content via dvds. At the same time given coverage to riders i'd of never got to watch, but you still have to filter through the junk and over produced stuff to find the good stuff (imo). So in that regard it's a net loss.

Gaming, again, plus and negs. Secrets and easter eggs have lost value to being spread everywhere, but being able to watch good content reviews is a plus. Also Twitch is junk, and is also owned by a toxic company, so YT streaming i did prefer. So a net gain imo for gaming.

Vimeo is worth a look at, if trying to avoid the junk.

YT is good for finding music, which then i can purchase from the artist and support them. So that's good in one sense, but harms artists because people don't all think the same. But then smaller artists are given coverage, which then i can also go over to Bandcamp and follow them there. So a net plus.

As for movies (streaming), i still buy dvds, i'd rather have the copy i can do whatever with and know i've got decent quality. I have considered purchasing a streaming video from YT, but never bothered because i'm a sting with my money.

As for YT replacing TV, yeah, no, maybe. Internet radio and podcasts, as well as music, dvds, killed TV for me. But 20mins to kill quickly, yeah YT has that covered well, but i'd happily watch the news if TV licence was free...
My real problem with YT is trying to filter out the rubbish and try and find the good stuff, which is quite tiresome in itself so i often give up. It's why i ditched Netflix pretty quickly.

For society, i think YT could happily replace TV, people have shown themselves to binge on whatever is put in front of them.

Soldato
I rarely watch live tv these days, 95% of what I watch is YouTube , travel vlogs, history programmes , music, interesting engineering/science stuff, Russian road rage compilations,etc

the rest is movies or the odd box set binged over a weekend on prime or netflix

Soldato
I use YouTube for mainly entertainment but also have some educational channels I subscribe to. Tom Scott’s videos are brilliant and short, perfect for bite size chunks of interesting and educational viewing.

I subscribe to a few sports teams and league channels for highlights of games.

Back
Top Bottom