PC Gaming and the problem with parity.

Soldato
PC gamers falling behind by refusing to move to 4k has nothing to do with how widespread the resolution is. Neither it gives any merit to the claims that we don't need new pc hardware.

Yeah of course you don't need a new gpu if you game at 1080p which is the resolution some pc gamers were gaming 15 years ago. Even tablets and phones have now surpassed the majority of pc gamers in terms of resolution which is quite sad really.

I'm just pointing out that 4k isn't the standard resolution.

Soldato
There was a time in PC gaming when you paid top dollar and you got what you paid for i.e. better graphics, frame rates.

There was almost a night and day difference between PC and console versions of games.

PC gaming favour high frame rates.

You're spending all this money on high performance hardware, it's just souped up console ports.

PC gamers spend all this money on hardware just to get versions of games that don't look that much better than the console versions.

justifying the purchase of high-end components leaves a lot to be desired now.
Unless someone has seen for themselves side by side comparisons between pc and console and all the latest tech and hardware tv's and pc monitors there is no other way to prove it without splashing out lots of money yourself which is just ridiculous for the majority of gamers and especially on low income, nowhere near by offers a test room to show it unless you have a very rich friend who likes all gaming platforms and all the latest technology and hardware and is willing to show you for free. A 2080Ti will struggle with modern aaa games at 3840x2160 (pc 4k, does the k suffix denote four thousand? lol) if you have to lower the graphics and video settings to maintain decent playable framerates and a smooth running experience it does beg the question about fidelity between pc and console and then to factor in the maximum cost and returns looking at the bigger picture, lowering graphics settings in games on high end hardware is a kick in the face. I can see where the original poster is coming from, but withut proof and seeing it for yourself you are not going to know the truth. It's a bit like HDR and when some tout lifelike colours, just lol, but each to their own, just make sure you're not being conned in anything really, plenty out their who will take your hard earned money.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The problem with PC gaming is WINDOWS itself.

Especially with MS updates, breaking systems with old hardware that worked perfectly fine before they fool around with stuff (Driver signing, RAID arrays etc etc)

PS5 will have mouse and Keyboard support from day 1 I am led to believe, my aged PC can stay in the office and unless some stella VR app hits the PC market it will stay that way with no money spent on overpriced hardware.

Soldato
PC gamers falling behind by refusing to move to 4k has nothing to do with how widespread the resolution is.
You are comparing apples to oranges.

TV's are bigger, pc monitors are smaller. Why run 4k on small mointors, and pay much more on gpu's for it to run? MAkes no sense.

Also, the vast majority of PC's are owned by kids, and bought for by parents... most of which have to find the sweet spot of cost vs performace.

Soldato
PS5 will have mouse and Keyboard support from day 1 I am led to believe

you know what already has support for this?

but on a more serious note, how many even want to sit with some big plate like thing in their lap to play console games on a t.v using a mouse.
the fun in playing consoles is using the joypad and playing on a big screen.

Soldato
There was a time in PC gaming when you paid top dollar and you got what you paid for i.e. better graphics, frame rates, etc. There was almost a night and day difference between PC and console versions of games.

Now, not so much, everything is parity, the only aspect PC gaming has in it's favour is high frame rates.

You're spending all this money on high performance hardware and the publishers/devs aren't taking advantage of it. They are targeting the least powerful systems, so that everything runs optimally across the board, it's just souped up console ports at this point.

Sadly, PC gamers spend all this money on hardware just to get versions of games that don't look that much better than the console versions. With many being broken even at release.

With the prices of components forever increasing and getting more expensive, justifying the purchase of high-end components leaves a lot to be desired now.

At this point, one may as well just get a console for graphically demanding games and keep the PC for anything else.

If the trend continues, is there even any point purchasing high-end parts now for gaming, as the return is very little.

you definitely have a point sadly........ add to that that with it being an open platform compared to the closed console ones, cheating is far more rife on pc than console.

games are in generally still cheaper on pc tho, and we do not have to pay for online play.

do agree however the reasons for gaming on pc are not as great as they once were, and the PS5 / Xbox model X or what ever it is called should close the gap even more.

For me i will likely stick with PC because 1) the few friends i game with will stick on PC and 2) VR on PC is, and I believe will continue to be far better than console VR.

Soldato
but on a more serious note, how many even want to sit with some big plate like thing in their lap to play console games on a t.v using a mouse.
the fun in playing consoles is using the joypad and playing on a big screen.

It would work for me if I could plug the console into a PC monitor and use it like that. However, I'll always need a PC for non gaming activity; so might as well buy a PC.

Soldato

TV's are bigger, pc monitors are smaller. Why run 4k on small mointors, and pay much more on gpu's for it to run? MAkes no sense.

Also, the vast majority of PC's are owned by kids, and bought for by parents... most of which have to find the sweet spot of cost vs performace.

Awesome point. On a monitor, I don't see the rush to go to 4k.

I'd rather go to 1440p, or an ultrawide, or a higher refresh rate 1080p/1440p panel or a higher refresh rate ultrawide, or super ultrawide; if i was to do monitor gaming.

Also the whole point of PC is the longevity and long term value. A good built PC can 1080p/1440p for a long time.

This is what I don't get. Console lovers moan when PC is expensive to buy. Then when people stick with their older PCs and are able to play any new game they want (and any old game) at their wanted resolution, they try to use it as a stick to beat them for being sensible with their choices?

Its the age old console users argument of:
"omgzzzz what happ3nz when ur gfx card can't run the newer games @ the fps u want!!".

Well, we decrease the resolution or shadows or settings basically. What do console users do? I can tell you because I own consoles.. we end up playing the games at 20-30FPS.

Don't get me wrong. I'm gaming on a 2080 and a 4k TV but I can totally respect users whom have decided to buy the better value cards and partner them with the best value monitors. They probably have more fun gaming than me too.

Soldato

TVs are bigger but you sit at a greater distance so your point is moot. Resolution is a big factor no matter how you try to spin it. Even 11" tablets run at 2k resolutions and they are praised for their clarity. Personally I saw a big difference going to a 4k monitor from 1600p. The difference between 1080p and 4k is night and day.

I think you're confusing console with pc gamers as the average age of a pc gamer is much higher. Even console kids demand 4k native games nowadays which shows how far the average pc gamer has fallen behind.

Last edited:
Soldato
TVs are bigger but you sit at a greater distance so your point is moot.
Erm, no? 4k suits sitting further away from from a big screen otherwise there would be no difference between a big 1080p TV and a 4k big tv of the same size. Which would actually make your agument moot, what is the point in a 4k tv when a 1080p tv would be just as good, lol.

Edit: I'm not sure if I have typed that out correctly , but im sure you get my drift.

Last edited:
Soldato
Even console kids demand 4k native games nowadays which shows how far the average pc gamer has fallen behind.
Maybe that is because they sit much closer to the TV than the adults do, None of the kids pc's I look after are demanding a move to 4k... they are just happy to have a pc.

I think you're confusing console with pc gamers as the average age of a pc gamer is much higher.
In my experience the kids I know have a pc and a console, and their pc's would have to be much better than they are to run 4k for the types of games they play on them. The parents are not prepared to pay that cost anyway. Conversely, most of the adult PC gamers I know, do not have a console. I think the point is, kids and adults are gamers still.

Caporegime
Isn't the point about higher resolution meaning you can increase the size of the image at the same distance without distortion.

I game on a 34" 2560x1080 monitor.
I'd definitely see a fidelity improvement if my next monitor had a higher resolution.

Back
Top Bottom