Advice on co-worker taking drugs at work

Associate
But enough to support someone conveniently present, maybe a PCSO or passing beat bobby, who smells it and comes to investigate?

Tests cost as little as £50, apparently.
What would the costs be of a parent suing the care company when a junkie employee's negligence results in harm to or death of a child in their care?

Besides, I presume the company drugs policy will state something about being found to have drugs in one's system, regardless of when it was taken. Ours does - You might not have taken drugs for a week or more, but if they're still in you then you're out.

The booby point is indeed one way the manager or the Ops partner to prove that the drug taking was happening at work. For all employers that would be a compelling reason for dismissal. Practically that might be more tricky as I'm not how interested the police are in personal use and unless he's so incapable the kids are physical danger, his suitability to oversee kids is probably a question is probably one for his employer

Our policy is that is unacceptable for employees to under the influence at work but does not , I believe allow for testing without the employees consent (though the policy also allows that non consent could be seen as essentially an admission of guilt) and it can certainly only be administered by an appropriate Occupational Health clinician. My boss certainly could not rock up at my desk with a cup and a kit he'd bought from eBay for £50 and demand I comply with a drug test....

However having read our policy. I'd expect my manager to respond in the following way:

1: Having received complaint, invites employee to meeting
2: Explains nature of complaint without disclosing identifying features and directs asks employee if they have a substance abuse problem. If they admit to one, sign post to support. Remind employee of the need to be free from the influence of all intoxicants at work and failure to comply with this would result in disciplinary action and ultimately could lead to termination.
3: refer employee to Occupational Health for support (employee and employer)
4: continue to monitor employee for signs of intoxication at work and if other signs are found meet with employee again and consider disciplinary action.

This supposed, like the OP, that while the employees intoxication at work made lapses in care and safety unacceptably high, no act of gross misconduct occurred.

I've kind of change my mind OP I think your partners boss has chickened out of dealing with an awkward situation. She should have had more gumption.

She doesn't need to be able to prove anything just begin investigating I think that's what I had failed to grasp.

Soldato
My boss certainly could not rock up at my desk with a cup and a kit he'd bought from eBay for £50 and demand I comply with a drug test....
That £50 was from the wesbite of a company that offers employee drug screening services, ie screening starts at £50.

Besides, the individual is still potentially bringing illegal substances onto premises where children are present and under his care - Possession and conduct unbecoming, both possible grounds for dismissal, along with bringing the house/company into disrepute and all the minor issues mentioned in the OP...

Permabanned
Maybe there is more to this than meets the eye. But if he is doing weed who cares? You realize when we leave the stone age right that Cannabis will be a major legal medicine? What if he uses it for Anxiety and it helped him cope and be a part of society by working? He could be doing ok but struggling so OPs girl gets him fired.

Now what? He goes on benefits for life? Just speak to him about it maybe first? But no she went to management... If this were me i would quit who wants to work in such an enviroment where the act like fifteen year olds are stupid, Why he probablys buys it from the fifteen year olds lol.

Now if he were for example a bus driver well, Then we could all nod in agreement but supervision of people a year from army age is not that important.

Soldato
Well, if there was a medical emergency or other drama where the carer had to think quickly, who better to help a vulnerable young adult than a stoner.. They're renowned for making the right decisions!

Caporegime
Maybe there is more to this than meets the eye. But if he is doing weed who cares? You realize when we leave the stone age right that Cannabis will be a major legal medicine? What if he uses it for Anxiety and it helped him cope and be a part of society by working? He could be doing ok but struggling so OPs girl gets him fired.

Now what? He goes on benefits for life? Just speak to him about it maybe first? But no she went to management... If this were me i would quit who wants to work in such an enviroment where the act like fifteen year olds are stupid, Why he probablys buys it from the fifteen year olds lol.

Now if he were for example a bus driver well, Then we could all nod in agreement but supervision of people a year from army age is not that important.

You a user? Because if so then your post above is a great argument against...

Caporegime
I am pro cannabis, but completely against people smoking at work and especially with the job roll he has, and he can clearly not operate when on it, should be sacked

It stays in your system for days. Therefore anyone smoking it in your opinion should all then have their driving licenses taken away as they will all be driving with it in their system.

How long does it take for the effects to wear off?
Weed's short-term effects start to taper off after one to three hours. Some effects, like memory problems or trouble sleeping, can last a few days.

Researchers don’t know how long the effects of chronic use last. Long-term effects can last days, weeks, or months after weed use has ended. Some effects may be permanent.

How can anyone possibly want people stoner driving high all the time, etc.

Caporegime
Amazing how many numpties the forum has who advocate for drug use when caring for children.

Where were you when weed bashing happened last time. The thread had like 500 Pro cannabis posts to the few anti ones.

Apparently it's cool for ceos to even smoke weed in a conference room too, etc.

A lot of potheads on here

Permabanned
You a user? Because if so then your post above is a great argument against...

Someone has an agenda eh? Also CBD says hello maybe first you should research on what weed actually means as this thread reeks of ignorance.

Would it not be funny if it turned out he had been using a CBD strain, Which has really none of the effects people refer to as a stoner". And my phone also would take ages to write every post with perfect grammar so there goes your guessing that i am some lazy whacked out stoner with bad grammar. Which i presume once again you are using as a weapon.

Caporegime
Someone has an agenda eh? Also CBD says hello maybe first you should research on what weed actually means as this thread reeks of ignorance.

Would it not be funny if it turned out he had been using a CBD strain, Which has really none of the effects people refer to as a stoner". And my phone also would take ages to write every post with perfect grammar so there goes your guessing that i am some lazy whacked out stoner with bad grammar. Which i presume once again you are using as a weapon.

Someone has an agenda? Read your own post! I'm guessing you're some lazy whacked out stoner from stupid statements like that.

Soldato
In the meantime, your other half can amuse themselves at his expense when he's rubbered at work.

"Mate, can you pass me that?"

"What?"

"The dutchie. Can you pass the dutchie on the left hand side?"

Back
Top Bottom