BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Getting my FTTP service installed on Monday. 300mb upgrading from 15mb!

Funny I've been in this house for 5 years and been stuck on ADSL2+ and BT finally decide to upgrade our network to FTTP.

Virgin Media got wind of this and installed their service as the same time. There's about 500-1000 homes on this estate so it's crazy one of them haven't installed sooner.

So today was the day and no one turned up. Rang them for them to say that the appointment was provisional and not confirmed. Would have been nice someone had told me they weren't coming.

Went to work and came back go find a fibre coiled up on my driveway that's been pulled in from the chamber. Now they've told me they can't get an engineer out until next Monday :mad:

My TalkTalk service was terminated today also.

I'm not a happy bunny :(

Soldato
The map on the Fibre First website seems to have gone backwards.

Solihull area was announced back in mid-2019 and it showed as "in progress" on the map with one or two neighbouring areas already showing complete.

Now the Solihull areas have vanished and the complete ones are showing "in progress" again.

Eh?

Associate
The map on the Fibre First website seems to have gone backwards.

Solihull area was announced back in mid-2019 and it showed as "in progress" on the map with one or two neighbouring areas already showing complete.

Now the Solihull areas have vanished and the complete ones are showing "in progress" again.

Eh?

Was broke for me yesterday as well, was only showing purple areas, no yellow or green. Working ok today an my area is showing as in progress :D

Soldato
Was broke for me yesterday as well, was only showing purple areas, no yellow or green. Working ok today an my area is showing as in progress :D

Solihull's now gone to yellow, i.e. starting in the next three months, so either it's still broken or they've backtracked.

Soldato
You just need to set the Asus WAN to DHCP and plug it into the G.fast modem.

Don't have an actual DHCP option under WAN Connection type. I'm currently on PPPoE with my plusnet connection, I'm guessing it'll be Automatic IP if the IP is being assigned by the G.fast modem (DHCP)?

WAN Options I have are Automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP

Soldato
I'm getting ready to switch from plusnet 80/20 to TalkTalk 150/30 g.fast fibre on Friday.

I'm currently using an ASUS RT-AC66U router and have found the settings I need to change - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Set-up-a-non-TalkTalk-router/ta-p/2205383

Just want to make sure everything will work ok.

Just a small point, although fibre and gfast (currently) offer similar speeds, they are very different products, and as it has already tripped someone else up this week in another thread, technically you don’t have ‘fibre’, you have g.fast, as such it’s different and so are it’s settings. Either way it’s easy to set-up with the supplier modem.

Last edited:
Associate
Got a letter with "Your best deal enclosed" and it just said "Renew by (some date in January) to pay the same price you currently do"...

Is this just common tactics or will I not be able to get a better deal after January, or even a worse deal? My contract ends in March. I have Superfast Fibre 2 and I'm paying £25.99 for it due to getting this deal when the price hikes came in. Should I hold out till late February and ask for like £23.99? What deals do other members have on here for this package? Can any other company actually beat £25.99 without using cashback deals and such?

Edit: Apparently TalkTalk has a very similar package for £21.95, £60 voucher and a free backup router. Found on uswitch

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok i've just re-newed my broadband package with BT as being on openreach FTTP i was left with slim pickings, i was originally on 50MB for £30 but managed to haggle the 150MB for £35 so all in all im pretty pleased with the outcome.

i've got them to send me the new smart hub 2 router although im unsure if i need this as the smart hub 1 seems to be fine, anyone know the differences as i can just keep the new one as spare or bay it etc.

Caporegime
Got a letter with "Your best deal enclosed" and it just said "Renew by (some date in January) to pay the same price you currently do"...

Is this just common tactics or will I not be able to get a better deal after January, or even a worse deal? My contract ends in March. I have Superfast Fibre 2 and I'm paying £25.99 for it due to getting this deal when the price hikes came in. Should I hold out till late February and ask for like £23.99? What deals do other members have on here for this package? Can any other company actually beat £25.99 without using cashback deals and such?

Edit: Apparently TalkTalk has a very similar package for £21.95, £60 voucher and a free backup router. Found on uswitch

The rules change on the 15th Feb where providers have to tell you if you're out of contract, and have to make the best offer that they make to new customers to you. So you might be seeing some people doing that before the deadline.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/helping-consumers-get-better-deals

Associate
I thought Ofcom said that providers had to state "the best deals offered by their provider, including telling loyal customers what prices are available to new customers."

I didn't read that as that the provider had to offer you the price available to new customers, rather I thought Ofcom wanted to highlight providers that give new customers a better deal than to existing loyal customers.

Caporegime
Yeah I read that part wrong. Though I would imagine the number of providers willing to send out "this is what we charge new customers" information while listing the best price they can offer an existing customer to re-contract being a bigger number is going to be fairly small - if it can close the pretty obscene gap between the initial 18 month costs and the out-of-contract rate then it's a good thing IMO.

Soldato
Just had my TalkTalk g.fast 150MB service installed. However I'm only getting speeds similar to my previous plusnet fibre package.

Any ideas what's going on? I'm using my Asus RT-AC66U router with the recommended third party router settings from TalkTalk. According to the Openreach engineer who did the install the speed to the g.fast modem is working correctly.

Back
Top Bottom