When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
How about the Model Y with it's 7 seat capacity and is already being driven and tested in the US. Production may be an issue I guess until the German factory comes online for the EU.
it is an suv profile though with its associated aerodynamics

[wireless charging

The economic competitiveness of wireless charging technology is influenced by three main components of the product life cycle:
charging infrastructure; battery; and use phase energy costs. Compared to the wired charging hardware, the major difference with a wireless charger for a stationary WPT design is the two magnetic couplers which bring an extra material cost of about US$400 for an 8 kW charger [68]. The cost increase for WPT charging hardware can be quite acceptable considering the convenience, battery downsizing, and long-term operation cost savings brought by wireless charging

]

they seem to think the ease of us of wireless will enable people to charge up more easily, and dynamically too (in the traffic jam) and battery size can even be reduced, to offset moderate cost.
A review of wireless power transfer for electric vehicles: Prospects to enhance sustainable mobility
a Center for Sustainable Systems, School of Natural Resources and Environment, University of Michigan, 440 Church St., Ann Arbor, MI 48109, United States 2016

Soldato
That’s a stupid reply.
Jez’s point is perfectly valid. What’s the big effort with a cable ? Why sacrifice even 0.5% efficiency for wireless.

People are lazy

It's no hardship to plug in your phone either but there are plenty of people out there that will throw money at wireless phone chargers - it's a similar principle but on a different scale. These people are not going to care if a cable is 96% efficient and wireless is 94% efficient, as long as the car is charged by morning.

Soldato
There are articles around quoting 97% efficiency. And using a cable isn't 100%, the cables heat up due to the resistance. What's the efficiency of a standard 5m type 2 cable? I don't know, but when charging at 32A mine gets noticeably warmer than ambient.

My point is efficiency isn't the barrier for wireless charging. Cost and practicality are. Everyone assumes you'll be dumping kw's of heat but that just isn't true anymore.

The alignment isn't a huge issue, it guides you in on the computer and probably can even park itself.

I was mainly responding to efficiency point.

Wireless chargers have the same cables going to them! Before you lose energy jumping air.

wireless won’t be for fast charging and hopefully the neighbours cat doesn’t shelter under the car on the charging area! = no charging.

Soldato
There will be losses in a cable anyway. Plus, the motors aren’t 100% efficient- nothing is, if anyone’s up on their thermodynamics.

Seems a bit of a moot point when there are massive inefficiencies in petrol and diesel tech that we all gloss over.

Of course ICE are hugely more inefficient but they are generally moving so any heat build up is dissipated by airflow through the radiator and the use of fans. The inefficiencies of wireless charging are static and we are talking of losses of kWs. I don’t see any water cooled or fan cooled wireless chargers buried in the road being suggested so where is this lost energy going? The point isn’t moot at all as this isn’t a discussion of the efficiency comparison of ICE and BEVs (well not for me) but real engineering solutions to very real problems

Soldato
I just picked up a 520d, 3 year old, with 13k.

I do under 10k a year. And will drive and maintain this until it dies, or at least has had a good life.

Then I imagine I'll buy a fully electric car.

Hopefully no sooner than 10 years time.

Soldato
Of course ICE are hugely more inefficient but they are generally moving so any heat build up is dissipated by airflow through the radiator and the use of fans. The inefficiencies of wireless charging are static and we are talking of losses of kWs. I don’t see any water cooled or fan cooled wireless chargers buried in the road being suggested so where is this lost energy going? The point isn’t moot at all as this isn’t a discussion of the efficiency comparison of ICE and BEVs (well not for me) but real engineering solutions to very real problems

I guess that the heat losses aren’t enough to justify active cooling when wireless charging at 7kW. Maybe it’d be different if it was 50kW?

I wouldn’t have an issue using a cable, anyway. But anything wireless has a sense of elegance (providing it works well enough).

Soldato
I just picked up a 520d, 3 year old, with 13k.

I do under 10k a year. And will drive and maintain this until it dies, or at least has had a good life.

Then I imagine I'll buy a fully electric car.

Hopefully no sooner than 10 years time.

Interesting though that no sooner than 10 years.

Given your estimated 10k miles per year, and taking the average 44mpg from various users sites, and using an average increase of 3% per year on fuel costs starting at £1.259 per litre (no servicing or maintenance) and no punitive charges or extra taxes placed on diesel over the next 10 years, you'll have spent ~£14,938 on fuel alone.

If you took a very high average cost of 12ppkWh of electricity (offsetting yearly increases on low priced current tariffs), and a 4mpkWh efficiency, you'd spend £3,000 to complete the same mileage, a total saving of ~£11,938 plus a significant saving in maintenance requirements on an EV assuming a new model with an 8 year warranty on the expensive parts (battery and drive train) you'd also be saving well over £1,000 in VED, and the car might be worth something at the end still, I doubt a 13 year old diesel BMW will be worth more than scrap value in 2030.

Just a few thoughts for your forward financial planning about the use of the car for so long.

Soldato
Interesting though that no sooner than 10 years.

Given your estimated 10k miles per year, and taking the average 44mpg from various users sites, and using an average increase of 3% per year on fuel costs starting at £1.259 per litre (no servicing or maintenance) and no punitive charges or extra taxes placed on diesel over the next 10 years, you'll have spent ~£14,938 on fuel alone.

If you took a very high average cost of 12ppkWh of electricity (offsetting yearly increases on low priced current tariffs), and a 4mpkWh efficiency, you'd spend £3,000 to complete the same mileage, a total saving of ~£11,938 plus a significant saving in maintenance requirements on an EV assuming a new model with an 8 year warranty on the expensive parts (battery and drive train) you'd also be saving well over £1,000 in VED, and the car might be worth something at the end still, I doubt a 13 year old diesel BMW will be worth more than scrap value in 2030.

Just a few thoughts for your forward financial planning about the use of the car for so long.

True. VED is only £30 a year for me though.

I did look, but my 520d is such a much nicer car for the money than current fully electric cars.

Lifetime ownership of the vehicle value doesn't worry me too much.

But they say, the cheapest car you'll ever own is the one you have.

Maybe 10 years is too long. But even in 5 years who would buy it? So I'm likely stuck with it to get some value for my 19k.

Soldato
I'll recontribute my residuals point - an ev leaf would be depreciating at 2k a year, but his 520d's much more like a tesla m3, 5K (bets please) depreciation a year ?
so he can come out a winner, versus, say, 2K depreciation on his 520d ?

Soldato
I'll recontribute my residuals point - an ev leaf would be depreciating at 2k a year, but his 520d's much more like a tesla m3, 5K (bets please) depreciation a year ?
so he can come out a winner, versus, say, 2K depreciation on his 520d ?
My car will depreciate 5k a year?

Anyway, I was only saying I would drive this until it costs more than I like which hopefully is close to 10 years.

So I'll be fully electric in 10years.

Soldato
Lifetime ownership of the vehicle value doesn't worry me too much.

But they say, the cheapest car you'll ever own is the one you have.

Yes, and no.

The brand new Ioniq I have on the way (PCH), which has literally every gadget ever on it (£33k starting price), could be used for 10 years as the contract is roll over, and the total would be £22,680 + £3,000 for the electricity as above. Total cost would be £26k in 10 years, plus maintenance. You've already spent £19,000 and have another £15k to go in fuel and VED, so £34k total spend. Both of us will have nothing to show for it at the end realistically.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it is the same total experience, but you can see why if you are looking at it from a financial point-of-view it can work out better. I also have the option to dump the car and get a new one with no strings other than 30-day notice period, if I find a better deal or want a 'nicer' car, and still have £8k in hand to hit the same £34k spend in those 10 years.

I did look, but my 520d is such a much nicer car for the money than current fully electric cars.

Nicer looking, quieter, more options, better colour?

No - your's will be 2k and the model 3, maybe on par in quality/drivability will be 5k.

Is that your predicted value for a 10 year old M3? £5k?

Associate
Not fully electric but have changed one of our cars to a M3P (leased via company). Reason for leasing is mainly due to rate of change at the moment and concern over future value. Strange as I normally keep my cars for years (had last one for 10 years). However will probably buy one after the lease runs out. Definitely some build quality issues they need to sort but hopefully my niggles will be resolved in the next few weeks. Haven’t got a 7KW charger yet (should be sorted in the next week) so reliant on 3 pin, super charging or free fast charger around 5 miles away. Great fun to drive and very fast and my kids love it as well and can just about squeeze everyone in which makes it more usable than my last one

Soldato
5p is only 4 hours. Few cars will fill up with that.

For me that's ~50% of my battery with loses and that's several days commute for me plus I don't drive everyday especially in summer so I can manage my charging to take full benefit. There's also the Agile tariff (which has gone negative a couple of times) and the currently beta Go Faster tariff that's extends the period for a little extra cost. Other energy suppliers will start to follow suit as well if not already.

Back
Top Bottom