• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Some questions regarding the 5700XT

Associate
Hi all,

So my system is.

Monitor - AOC Q3279VWFD8 31.5" IPS LED QHD (2560x1440) Freesync 75Hz
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Processor
MOBO - MSI B450M Mortar MAX
RAM - Team Group Vulcan T-Force (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
GPU - Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 XT Dual Fan 8GB GDDR6
PSU - Bitfenix Formula Series 550W 80 Plus Gold
SSD - WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB M.2 2280
Case - Kolink Citadel Micro-ATX

I've been experiencing the black screens loading up and even two solid hours of gaming in various games.

So, building this new rig was fun and had no problems with the build or installation of WIN 10 x64, however it would seem I'm now having issues, but if I'm honest it's definitely GPU/GPU drivers.

When I had set the system up, the only two options I had changed in the BIOS settings were, turn on gaming mode and select 3200 speed for my RAM, I did and do still have the BIOS drivers from MSI's support download section, I'm still undecided if those BIOS drivers will make any difference at all if they will then please mention as I'll flash the BIOS later, also if there are any other settings I should change in my BIOS, I'm all ears.

The GPU drivers I'm using are the 20.1.1 and settings are all off and standard as I was hoping that would help.

If there is a way to fix the issue with rolling back, using safe mode, not sure what DDU is but I'm a quick learner.

Thank you for reading.

Associate
OP
Don't waste your time trying to diagnose the issue. It's a driver problem that needs to be fixed so you'll just have to wait for AMD to fix it. See: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/eng16s/5700_series_users_amd_added_this_to_the_patch/

That's fairs. But.

It's annoying to spend hard-earned quids on a product that has and has had for 6+ months problems drivers or otherwise.

I can tell you what I've done anyway.

I've updated my BIOS from v2.50 to v2.60, saved the 20.1.1 driver folder used the DDU in safe mode to completely remove the drivers, then manually searched for said drivers to install without AMD's software, and I'm now using my DP instead of HDMI.

I'm tempted if I need to again DDU in safe mode and then reinstall AMD's software and drivers then wait.

Associate
I had regular black screens on a 56 until I disabled AMDs overlays/relive/capture stuff. Turned that stuff off months ago and the black screens disappeared, tried turning them on again with the new 2020 drivers and the random black screens returned.

Associate
I had exact same thing on my pc with 5700 xt AE. turning off memory XMP fixed the problem and has never happened again. No idea if its a problem with the ram not being capable or the graphics card. but for me the performance difference with xmp was so small im just happy not to be getting lock up and black screens. Have not tried turning it back on with newer drivers.

Associate
OP
I had exact same thing on my pc with 5700 xt AE. turning off memory XMP fixed the problem and has never happened again. No idea if its a problem with the ram not being capable or the graphics card. but for me the performance difference with xmp was so small im just happy not to be getting lock up and black screens. Have not tried turning it back on with newer drivers.

Good morning BrightSide,

your name reminds me of the YT channel with the light bulb lol.

If I'm honest my MSI mortor max board does have an A-XMP mode that's off, but my ram being 3200 full speed does say it's XMP, does it automatically enable it, fairly new to builds these days.

Associate
I have seen loads of black screen problems with cr@p monitor cables. Both display port and HDMI. If the cable you are using came with the monitor I would replace it with a decent one. For a decent one you can get them for ten quid.

Associate
I would also make sure you are not using a splitter to power the graphics card. You need two seperate cables from your power supply.

Associate
OP
I have seen loads of black screen problems with cr@p monitor cables. Both display port and HDMI. If the cable you are using came with the monitor I would replace it with a decent one. For a decent one you can get them for ten quid.

Thank you for the reply, so what suggestions on what cables to buy (DP and HDMI), don't need to link cable specs are fine, if you don't mind ofcourse?

I would also make sure you are not using a splitter to power the graphics card. You need two seperate cables from your power supply.

Nope just what the psu has to offer.

Associate
OP
I use these https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sandberg-displayport-1.2-cable-2m-cb-004-sb.html Display port works better with free sync.
I would also go into advanced monitor settings to make sure the correct monitor driver has been installed.

Hey man, thanks for that, ordered for next day costing £19.69, also thank you as I went into device manager had seen my monitor was called generic PnP Monitor, updated drivers through windows now it says Q3279VWFD8. So that's a win.

Back
Top Bottom