**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
It's that time again, I need a whole new set for my M135i.

225 / 40 / R18 88Y FRONT
245 / 35 / R18 XL REAR

I was originally just looking at replacing the Pilot Super Sports like for like, but not sure if it's worth seriously looking at PS4's instead? Unfortunately I can't get the PS4S in my size.

Cheapest price with fitting comes in at £511.42 from Protyre or £528.72 from ASDA Tyres with £50 of ASDA vouchers. Cashback on top also. Any better offers around?
I always liked the PSS on mine but the PS4 is a newer tyre, though it doesn't strictly replace the PSS. It delivers better wet weather performance and is slightly quieter and more comfortable. It's also likely cheaper since PSS are now only made for OEM fit specs such as BMW.

Soldato
I always liked the PSS on mine but the PS4 is a newer tyre, though it doesn't strictly replace the PSS. It delivers better wet weather performance and is slightly quieter and more comfortable. It's also likely cheaper since PSS are now only made for OEM fit specs such as BMW.

Interesting article from tyrereviews on the PS4:

tyrereviews said:
In order to clear things up, we've been speaking with Michelin to find out exactly what's happening with everyone's favourite performance tyre.

Where does the Pilot Sport 4 sit?

While Pilot Sport 4 replaces the Pilot Sport 3, it’s an improvement on the Pilot Super Sport, not a “new” Pilot Sport 3, in design and technology. In comparative testing in 18" sizes, Pilot Sport 4 outperforms the Pilot Super Sport in 99% of everyday situations, with the added benefit of 10-15% improved wear. The other 1% is on a dry track where the Pilot Super Sport would outperform the Pilot Sport 4 by a couple of tenths of a second around a long track. For more track focused track drivers we will expand the range of Pilot Sport Cup 2 over the next few years.

So the Pilot Sport 4 replaces the Pilot Super Sport?

- No, the Pilot Super Sport will continue to be made in sizes where we have some OE fitments, with some of those in production for many years to come.

Also lots of good feedback from drivers who switched from PSS > PS4 in here.

Dry performance has never really been an issue, however leaving roundabouts in the rain is where traction control always kicks in. If the PS4 can improve that somewhat while retaining similar levels of grip in the dry like the PSS, then that's a win win for me.

Soldato
Interesting article from tyrereviews on the PS4:

Also lots of good feedback from drivers who switched from PSS > PS4 in here.

Dry performance has never really been an issue, however leaving roundabouts in the rain is where traction control always kicks in. If the PS4 can improve that somewhat while retaining similar levels of grip in the dry like the PSS, then that's a win win for me.
I use PS4S on the M3 and they are, frankly, exceptional in all respects. Just changed them at 3mm after 30k miles!!! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, but as you say not available in 18" sizes and I've had no first hand experience of the PS4 on which to make a personal recommendation.

Man of Honour
Put some Bridgestone Turanza t005s on my truck - not entirely sure it was the right idea but all I seem to be doing at the moment is driving up and down the A30/303 in torrential rain :s (cue months of warm dry weather and/or my usage changing :|).

Last edited:
Soldato
I use PS4S on the M3 and they are, frankly, exceptional in all respects. Just changed them at 3mm after 30k miles!!! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, but as you say not available in 18" sizes and I've had no first hand experience of the PS4 on which to make a personal recommendation.
I second this, just incredible tires.

Soldato
So, What Tyre??

1994 Landcruiser LC80 4.2TD

275/75 R16

I only do low annual mileage but I live in the wilderness so it is mileage that I want to be able to do regardless of the weather conditions so winter/snow tyres all the year round would be just fine (I will accept the higher wear rate in summer in exchange for better winter performance)

Historically I time out on tyres long before I wear out (Assuming 10 year limit, see other recent tyre thread ;) )

On line searches do not seem very helpful.

Anybody here actually have any personal experience based advice?

(If I could get better handling too that would be a big bonus. But since LC80's are basically a solid axle lorry, I doubt if there is that much to be gained here whatever one might put on the wheels :p )

Soldato
Anyone have experience with the new Eagle F1 SuperSport? Looks up there with the PS4S but it's such a new tyre there's not much info.

Sizes on the 4C are a nightmare:
205/40/18 Front (7"!)
235/35/19 Rear (8.5")

Looking to go up a size or two, gain some much needed width and also a smidge of sidewall would be nice so I don't scrape on bloody everything.

Want to go up to :
225/40/18
255/35/19

Man of Honour
So, What Tyre??

1994 Landcruiser LC80 4.2TD

275/75 R16

I only do low annual mileage but I live in the wilderness so it is mileage that I want to be able to do regardless of the weather conditions so winter/snow tyres all the year round would be just fine (I will accept the higher wear rate in summer in exchange for better winter performance)

Historically I time out on tyres long before I wear out (Assuming 10 year limit, see other recent tyre thread ;) )

On line searches do not seem very helpful.

Anybody here actually have any personal experience based advice?

(If I could get better handling too that would be a big bonus. But since LC80's are basically a solid axle lorry, I doubt if there is that much to be gained here whatever one might put on the wheels :p )

You sure those sizes are right? doesn't look correct but not something I know much about. From what I can see out of the better options you are quite limited in the UK to BF Goodrich (I have a little experience of BFG) or Grabber in the sizes that seem correct for the vehicle. The closest I have to a go to for a 4x4 tyre that is the best compromise of off and on road is the Pirelli Scorpion ATR but doesn't seem available in sizes that would fit.

Associate
Just a question but would you say all Japanese tyres are a softer compound, ie they don't last as long.

Reason I ask is I have a Minibus taxi. From the factory it came with Goodyear tyres. The backs have lasted well needing replacement shortly at 50k. However the fronts were useless. The tread started tearing and were noisey.

After a punture I was forced into over the counter tyres available immediately which turned out to be Nankang. To be honest the lasted really well and no noticable loss of grip compared to the Goodyear.

After 30k I have just had Toyo tyres fitted and the grip and noise level is far superior to the Goodyear and Nankang.

The rears need doing shortly so O am all up for the Toyo tyres. Just wondered if they are likely to wear very quickly as I have only done 1000k on the fronts.

Man of Honour
Anyone wondering about the new Yokohama AD08RS.

Don't touch them. Just got back from a track day at Oulton Park. What the hell have they done to AD08R with the new RS compound, they are absolutely terrible. Squealing and fading with the correct pressures, absolutely terrible compared to the old compound. I saw bad things but decided to give them a go, what a waste of £.
Are you sure it’s just not the temperature?

Associate
eBay have a money off code on at the moment.

Just got 4 x Uniroyal Rainsport 5 tyres (225/40/18). £233 from demontweeksdirect - Not a bad price.

Code: PAYDAYJAN.

Always like the Rainsports performance wise, just hated the softer side walls, the new 5's are meant to be much better.

Soldato
Finally found a local fitter that can deal with the 4C, usual suspects have ramps that are too tall to get on! The Hunter Alignment rig at ProTyre Westbury is actually sunk into the floor, so can drive straight on :).

Eagle F1 SuperSports on the way, should be sorted Thursday. Only front Toe, rear Toe & Camber are adjustable with bolts. Everything else is by adding/removing shims on the wishbone mounts, so hopefully I'm not far off as I don't have any spare.

Soldato
decent all round 255/35/20 XL for a Jag XF

other than the go to MPS4s whats the go to rubber just now, nearer to £120 a corner would be a bonus too anything more its a no brainer just spend the extra £30 a corner for michelins

Soldato
120 quid a corner for 20 inch tyres?!

255/35/20 doesnt seem particularly bad for rubber price wise £120 seems to be decent branded rubber as i said the MP4s are £150 a corner but its a diesel taxi, it doesnt really need Super high performance rubber to trundle up and down the motorway all day a decent branded tyre will be fine.

that said an extra £30 a corner really isnt a big difference, just curious to see what the options are

as long as its not the standard Dunlops

Bugger just missed costco offering £50 cashback when you buy 2 michelins offer, would have brought the MPS4s down to £125 a corner or there abouts, no brainer at that price. cracking tyre/price

Back
Top Bottom