Spec me a CCTV System

Caporegime
Its It's worth thinking about. Although, I don't have enough property for 4 cameras plus I only calculate £550 for 10 yr ownership.

£150 camera
£0 install as I can do that
£400 Sub for 10 yrs

You buying the normal camera and not the IQ version?

Pointless getting the non iq version. The iq version is streets ahead of the non iq version

Associate
I need 4 Cameras recommending please, I've been looking at HikVision. I need one wide angle to cover a driveway, and good enough in the dark to pick up a registration number on a car / clear image of a face. Another will be going under the porch roof to capture anyone at the front door. One at the back of the house covering the garden, and one in the alley (needs good night vision here also, although the PIR light kicks in after a second or two)

What would people use? I've looked at "CCTV Kits" but they only sell to the trade now it seems. Lots on eBay but not sure which ones are any good.

Caporegime
I need 4 Cameras recommending please, I've been looking at HikVision. I need one wide angle to cover a driveway, and good enough in the dark to pick up a registration number on a car / clear image of a face. Another will be going under the porch roof to capture anyone at the front door. One at the back of the house covering the garden, and one in the alley (needs good night vision here also, although the PIR light kicks in after a second or two)

What would people use? I've looked at "CCTV Kits" but they only sell to the trade now it seems. Lots on eBay but not sure which ones are any good.

ColorVu 5mp - hikvision. Look on facebook for a local installer. My Mate just got a quote for £800 fully installed. 4 cameras, nvr with a 2TB drive.

Associate
I'm looking for a 16 channel DVR system for less than £200 and have seen the likes of Sannce, Sansco and Annke brand on the rainforest, are they any good or is there something else that is better?

Associate
ebay, amazon, cctv shops. just go onto the official websites. find one you like the look of then google it and check ebay / amazon
I have looked at DVRs on Hikivision's website, some systems are 5MP and 8MP, does that mean it can record up to that megapixel? As I have cameras from different brands ranging from different megapixel.

Caporegime
I have looked at DVRs on Hikivision's website, some systems are 5MP and 8MP, does that mean it can record up to that megapixel? As I have cameras from different brands ranging from different megapixel.

you might not get all the options mixing brands. but i would say go for a brand in which in future you may decide to align your cameras with.

so if you plan on upgrading to say 8mp colorvu's in future get a 8mp hikvision compatible NVR.

then in 3-5 years time you can upgrade all the cameras.

Soldato

ColorVu 5mp - hikvision. Look on facebook for a local installer. My Mate just got a quote for £800 fully installed. 4 cameras, nvr with a 2TB drive.
Hi folks,
Looking to buy something this week and my requirements are very similar to above. Property is a detached house, side access 1 side, with small front garden and 1 1/2 car driveway.

Currently require 5 cameras:
- 1 camera above porch (PIR security light to be installed)
- 1 camera at front to cover general access on property (PIR security light to be installed)
- 1 camera in side alley (PIR security light to be installed)
- 1 camera covering back garden (PIR security light in place)
- 1 camera internally in hallway

Main priority is good image quality - day and night - without spending a huge amount.
Sound: Would be nice to be able to record sound, 2 way would be even better but not a must.
Connectivity: I like the idea of wireless cameras for the ease of installation but also can run cables if required.
Power: Would like a way to provide power to the units in the event that the power is cut, either by a UPS to the router or if the units themselves have a battery then local storage/comms would be required.

The colorVu looks good however my only hesitation is the white light... How do the cameras compare to the Blink XT2.

Regarding tech choice, if running cables - what are the views of TVI vs PoE? I note that TVI cameras appear to be much cheaper...

Thanks

Soldato
Further to my above post, what are the views on Reolink cameras?

I have one sitting at home which I never put up - an RLC-411WS. From looking at their webstore, they've increased their offering significantly.

Soldato
Wireless cameras? Don’t even go down that road. You still need to power the camera so go for Poe. If you don’t want white light from the colorvu cams (5MP ColourVu is TVI if I am not mistaken, 4MP is IP) and there is no outside light, street lights etc, then you have to go for IR Darkfighter Hiks like the DS-2CD2345WD-I (4MP) DS-2CD2385G1-I (8MP) or the DS-2CD2386G2-IU (8MP). The ColorVu LU model has audio.

Associate
you might not get all the options mixing brands. but i would say go for a brand in which in future you may decide to align your cameras with.

so if you plan on upgrading to say 8mp colorvu's in future get a 8mp hikvision compatible NVR.

then in 3-5 years time you can upgrade all the cameras.
The cameras I have at the moment all use BNC connector so I will need to buy a DVR system but in the future, I will upgrade all cameras to Hikivision. I have checked on their website but not sure which one out of these to get, I think the one with POC so the cameras gets power from the system?

Dc6NjgO.jpg

Caporegime
The cameras I have at the moment all use BNC connector so I will need to buy a DVR system but in the future, I will upgrade all cameras to Hikivision. I have checked on their website but not sure which one out of these to get, I think the one with POC so the cameras gets power from the system?

Dc6NjgO.jpg

i'd rather just upgrade all the cameras at the same time tbh. POE is what you want. IP cameras and a NVR.

Associate
i'd rather just upgrade all the cameras at the same time tbh. POE is what you want. IP cameras and a NVR.
I don't want to upgrade all 16 cameras at the moment as they are working fine for the purpose but will get the POC DVR for now and sell it when time comes to upgrade to POE cameras/NVR system.

Also, would you recommend Seagate Skyhawk or WD Purple drive?

Associate
I would always go WD for drives.

Has anyone here ever used Qvis CCTV, my alarm installer only uses them but I would prefer to stick to Dahua or Hikvision which seem to have a wider usage base and also more features.

Associate
Just wanted to chip in on this thread and mention that I bought a couple of TP-Link Tapo C200 indoor cameras for £25 each and pretty impressed with them. They're 1080p cameras with motorised pan and tilt, recording to an SD card, all controlled via an app. They don't appear to have cloud storage or ability to record to NAS that I have found.

But for cheap indoor cameras, they're quite good.

My plan is to install an alarm system and use the cameras as a quick indoor check for if the alarms are activated and I'm away from home at the time.

Outdoor cameras will follow, once I've fully researched a decent 4K option.

Soldato
Any one got experience with a
Reolink c1 or c2 Pro?
More specifically the storage
Of footage remotely ~for free
As looking to get one
Reason being I grudge buying
A ring etc and then having
To pay a subscription as well
Convinced there will
Be a way to store your footage
In the cloud for free