Dell S3220DGF

Associate
how do you like your Dell - is it worth paying more to get a Dell?

I've always bought Dell flat panels. Always been good, always been reliable. My partner had a Xerox and a Samsung, both died outside warranty. Never had a Dell panel die yet.

Have ordered the S3220DGF, it will be here tomorrow.

Associate
I bought one in the end. I've had Dell monitors before, so stuck with what I liked. Very pleased with it. I'd echo a lot of the comments made before. For me:
  • Its a far nicer size on the desk compared to the 43" 4K TV I had before.
  • Its quite reserved in its style/looks, so isnt in your face like some monitors.
  • I think a 27" would have been too small for me as well.
  • The curve is nice and feels like it gently curves towards you, but not so much that its wrapping around you.
  • The colours are more vibrant compared to the IPS panel from before, and I'm still getting used to it when editing photos. ( I dont have a calibration tool, but could I used to know how a print would come out with the old panel, I'm still in that adjusting stage.
  • You can see the pixels, but it is absolutely fine, and not an issue.
  • The curve hasn't really affected me doing diagrams / word documents / photos which have had straight lines.
I think one of the things I was concerned about was that I would be loosing a lot of UI space dropping from 4K to 1440p ... the reality is that I dont feel that this has been the case really. I've said it before, but with the large 4K, I was dragging windows to the centre space of the screen to stop me looking back and forth and cricking my neck about. I was effectively reducing my working UI space anyway With the smaller overall size, the windows are all in my centre view, so I
I actually think I may be working quicker.

Associate
All set up and it's stunning.

Usual Dell quality, solid build, no gimmicks, no stuck or dead pixels.

My first non-ips panel and it's a decent experience so far. Needs calibrating and have turned the brightness down from the shipped "heart of the sun" setting. Haven't tried gaming yet but that's next. This is my first >60hz screen so hoping that Freesync is up to the hype.

Wall mounted with my 2312HM put in portrait alongside it. Will post a picture once the hosting site is back up and running.

Associate
Just bought the S3220dgf. I have an Asus GTX 1080. I'll let everyone know how it goes as far as overall experience and also flicker. Fingers crossed for no flicker, especially with LFC.

Associate
Hmm, so, FreeSync flicker is a thing. Running a Radeon VII and a FreeSync 2 monitor with a Club3D Vesa certified DP1.4 cable you'd hope not to see this. As far as I can tell from googling there isn't any clue as to what causes it let alone how to fix it. It's like the backlight is flickering.

All set up and it's stunning.

Usual Dell quality, solid build, no gimmicks, no stuck or dead pixels.

My first non-ips panel and it's a decent experience so far. Needs calibrating and have turned the brightness down from the shipped "heart of the sun" setting. Haven't tried gaming yet but that's next. This is my first >60hz screen so hoping that Freesync is up to the hype.

Wall mounted with my 2312HM put in portrait alongside it. Will post a picture once the hosting site is back up and running.

Caporegime
Hmm, so, FreeSync flicker is a thing. Running a Radeon VII and a FreeSync 2 monitor with a Club3D Vesa certified DP1.4 cable you'd hope not to see this. As far as I can tell from googling there isn't any clue as to what causes it let alone how to fix it. It's like the backlight is flickering.

Damn, not good :(

Associate
I have seen the flickering, but only in one place. It is like the back light dims fractionally.

I've only ever noticed it in Apex Legends during the selection procees on the screen where you wait looking at a part of the map before changing to which character to select.

Once beyond that I've never noticed the flicker during the game itself.

Associate
I have seen the flickering, but only in one place. It is like the back light dims fractionally.

I've only ever noticed it in Apex Legends during the selection procees on the screen where you wait looking at a part of the map before changing to which character to select.

Once beyond that I've never noticed the flicker during the game itself.

Getting the flicker during game play on GTA V with FreeSync enabled, not if FreeSync off.

But yes, exactly like the backlight dimming.

Associate
I've always assumed it to related to the game becoming bottlenecked and stuttering and for whatever reason this affects the freesync timing.

I read one post that suggested that where the display signal goes out of range of the freesync bracket, particularly below it, then that can maybe cause the monitor to switch between modes, causing a short flicker as it swaps over.

I'm wondering whether this is happening. I.e. the game is accessing the drive to stream data and this is bottlenecking the game engine, causing a slight stutter in the refresh rate, dropping out of the freesync bracket, monitor swaps modes, backlight dips, game engine clears it's bottleneck almost instantly, refresh rate goes back up, monitor dips as it flicks back into freesync mode.

That would explain why I see it on the loading screens of Apex, and maybe why GTA5 suffers as listed above cause it's streaming a lot from the storage drive.

Associate
I turned off Freesync on mine as the flickering was really bad in some games. I did try changing the cable, updating drivers etc but nothing got rid of it. In most of the games I play I can get frame rates around the 165hz refresh rate anyway so I can't really say that I can tell much of a difference!

Back
Top Bottom