8 Pack "shower head" watercooling

Soldato
This sounds like a great idea for those who want even more performance from their water-cooling.

When I first read "shower head watercooling" my first thought was the DIY cooling towers people were knocking together in the early 2000's (they were a radiator substitute comprising of a tube mounted vertically with a shower head at the top and a gentle updraft of cool air provided by an intake fan in the lower sidewall).

What happened to that idea? It faded away pretty quickly.

Associate
When I first read "shower head watercooling" my first thought was the DIY cooling towers people were knocking together in the early 2000's (they were a radiator substitute comprising of a tube mounted vertically with a shower head at the top and a gentle updraft of cool air provided by an intake fan in the lower sidewall).

What happened to that idea? It faded away pretty quickly.
Exactly my thoughts too
Even tried something similar, 2003 I think, you could even get sub ambient water temperatures coming out of it.
Was great for cooling, with some major drawbacks though it was always needing topping up, and the humidity in the room got quite high.

Soldato
Exactly my thoughts too
Even tried something similar, 2003 I think, you could even get sub ambient water temperatures coming out of it.
Was great for cooling, with some major drawbacks though it was always needing topping up, and the humidity in the room got quite high.

Cheers, I was beginning to think I was the only one who remembers them.

That makes sense - too much evaporation. That's a pity because they were very effective (I remember folk reporting sub-ambient water temps too). I wonder if it's possible to capture that moisture and return it to the resovoir without impeding airflow.

It would be interesting to see how an 8-Pack showerhead block and a cooling tower would perform together in the same loop. Very well I would imagine.

Soldato
Granted he seems a bit nervous on camera but people's nastiness towards him is unwarranted.

I love it when footballers are interviewed. Oh he's got no personality....Yep maybe...Thats why hes playing football for a living and not stand up..

Associate
Cheers, I was beginning to think I was the only one who remembers them.

That makes sense - too much evaporation. That's a pity because they were very effective (I remember folk reporting sub-ambient water temps too). I wonder if it's possible to capture that moisture and return it to the resovoir without impeding airflow.

It would be interesting to see how an 8-Pack showerhead block and a cooling tower would perform together in the same loop. Very well I would imagine.
Unfortunately to recapture the water from the air would require a cold plate for the water to condense on.
The cold plate requiring its own cooling. Etc etc etc.
Too many impracticalities.
It was good for a bit of fun, and yeah would be great with a good water block like 8 packs shower head.
The double shower operation :)

OcUK Staff
We had a long discussion about all this last night.

So on launch we will have: Intel 2066, Intel 115x, AM4. CPU blocks.

Radiators: standard sizes for 120mm fans.

Pumps to optimise the performance of the unique design of our blocks. Which has been developed further.

Fittings, Tubing etc etc

Our own Thermal Paste. Not some OEM rebadge.

GPU blocks will come when the Nvida next launch does. Our injection moulding technique costs 200K or so for tooling. We offer an automotive grade finish so we will invest this at the start of a GPUs life cyle.

Soldato
Genuinely looking forward to seeing the finished product, I've been tempted to have a go of a custom loop for a long time and this gear sounds really interesting.

Soldato
Interesting! had some fun with coolant on die water many years ago, never again!
Direct to IHS sounds like a happy medium between a regular block and a buttock clenching direct to die build, could you imagine trying to go direct to die with any of the current AMD processors!
What would be the gains of a custom IHS? perhaps with some relevant machining on the top to improve turbulence of the flow, it might even be possible to machine in a channel for the o-ring between the IHS and the water lid.
In any case, what I really want to know is whether or not there will be a version with a metal top?

Back
Top Bottom