**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Soldato
I've only wirelessly charged my phone (I say only, I mean 90% of the time - at home and work I only use wireless chargers, in a car or out and about I have far less choice) for the last four I've owned - Google Nexus, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S10e and as I've moved on from each phone to the next I've left behind a strong, capable battery that seemed to be lasting as long as when I first got the phone. I honestly cannot remember that last time I owned a phone, even one I'd had a few years where I found myself lamenting the battery life.

Man of Honour
Smashed the front glass on my s10 :( It's just a tiny bit at the bottom corner but I can't handle it. The screen is fine underneath so im thinking of sending it for a glass only replacement. The going rate seems to be about £150 anybody here had a glass only repair before?

Soldato
I've no idea on going repair rates but bit expensive just for glass? Samsung themselves would charge £219 for a whole screen replacement and believe throw in a fresh battery inside.

Man of Honour
I've no idea on going repair rates but bit expensive just for glass? Samsung themselves would charge £219 for a whole screen replacement and believe throw in a fresh battery inside.

I might have a look around and decide what to do with it. For now I decided to buy a new one then the wife said she would like one so I went from repairing it to buying two new phones :( Apparently I get a "free" watch as well with each device so that's good. I shall then get this one repaired and probably sell this along with the mrs current xs.

Man of Honour
Well...that escalated quickly :p

I know right. At least this way I reduce her contract down from somewhere around 70 a month to sim only. The phones aren't crazy expensive and I might get £100 back each on the watches or I might even give one of them a go.

That's man maths that is :p

I'd pay double if she stops moaning about that damn iPhone, I didn't buy it that long ago but ever since the first day she had it I have heard nothing but moaning about that thing, It has literally been doing my head in. I'm not even joking I have probably bought 8 of the headphone adaptors at 20 odd quid a pop but she just slaps them in her bag and breaks them. If this is the price of peace than it is a price i'm willing to pay.

Soldato
Is anyone else finding that cables won't stay snuggly fit into the USB-C port? I've tried quite a few cables and some work better than others, but ultimately if I wiggle the cable just a tiny bit the phone thinks it's been unplugged.

I've cleaned all the fluff out of the port but it didn't help much.

Took it to a Samsung service centre today and the guy said it would cost over £300 to fix because it's a Hong Kong phone, and it would take at least 6 weeks to get the parts. Meh.

Soldato
Unlucky, I believe the port is now soldered on, on these so they have to replace the whole motherboard.

Real Apple move in terms of repairability.

Soldato
Took it to a Samsung service centre today and the guy said it would cost over £300 to fix because it's a Hong Kong phone, and it would take at least 6 weeks to get the parts. Meh.

You've got no warranty to preserve so surely you can get this done cheaper by one of the 3rd party repair companies?

Soldato
You've got no warranty to preserve so surely you can get this done cheaper by one of the 3rd party repair companies?

Possibly, but I value the waterproofness too much to have someone other than Samsung repair it.

The port still works but you have to be careful with the cable otherwise it stops charging. I'll just have to live with it, or find a way to be without the phone for weeks and weeks if I send it back to eGlobalCentral.

Soldato
Possibly, but I value the waterproofness too much to have someone other than Samsung repair it.

The port still works but you have to be careful with the cable otherwise it stops charging. I'll just have to live with it, or find a way to be without the phone for weeks and weeks if I send it back to eGlobalCentral.

There are also wireless options for pretty much everything which would be much cheaper

Soldato
Yeah, that's probably the way I'll go. I've kinda avoided it until now because it was harder to justify the expense with only one phone in the house that's capable of charging wirelessly.

Yeah I get that and it's not perfect but you could have a few wireless pads, a wireless car holder (if you need it) and a wireless battery pack for well under £100, under £50 potentially if you look hard enough.

Then you don't need to worry about your usb-c port at all.. not ideal but when faced with £300 which probably isn't far off the value of the device it makes sense to me.

Man of Honour
New phones are here. Moved from a white one to a green one. Not sure I like the green but I do like that the screen hasn't got cracks in it. Shall let the mrs have the White one and get samsung to repair my other white one I think.

Have also claimed the two watches and the claims were accepted instantly so hopefully a relatively quick turn around on the freebies. Mind you the email recons 45 days which is a fairly long time to wait for new toys. What is the watch even like? Any good?

Associate
New phones are here. Moved from a white one to a green one. Not sure I like the green but I do like that the screen hasn't got cracks in it. Shall let the mrs have the White one and get samsung to repair my other white one I think.

I always fancied the green one but never seen one in the flesh.

I've had an S9+ since a month so after they came out. Had hardware problems with the camera but other than that it was OK. Early Dec sold it and bought a second hand Black S10 off Ebay (risky but got away with it :eek: ). It duly arrived and was clean and unmarked and came with a Newdery extended battery case. The battery case is a little on the bulky side but maybe would be ok in an emergency.

So the S10 is a little smaller than the S9+ which I find a touch easier to use one handed. Cost me £140 to swap plus £24 for a Mous case and £10 for a Color glass screen protector. The latter is very similar to the Dome Glass ones costing 4x as much. Comes with a UV light to cure the glue. Doesn't come with a guide though once the glue has spread is easy to nudge into line! Went on very well. Has hole for the front camera. Can't tell you if the fingerprint scanner works as with my 'manual' job my prints wear off. Can't get my prints to scan without the glass protector.

Is it a good idea when S20 is not too far off release? Personally not paying big money new phones any more. So all up very happy with the S10 ...... until I let the damned thing upgrade to Android 10. Couple of apps I used won't work with 10 but replaced with others. Avicsync which connects to the sat nav on my vehicles Pioneer head units sat nav maybe one I can't replace. Sometimes apps lag badly when loading and occasionally get bad stutters. Listening too Audible through my Jabra bt earbuds works flawlessly one day then cut off every few minutes and have to get phone out of pocket to restart where it stopped. Seems to be Audible stopping rather than bt connection to the buds. Spotify works fine through the buds. I have cleared the cache and have even reset the phone to no avail. Doesn't do it all the time. Slightly tempted to flash it back to Pie.

Back
Top Bottom