Outward - Open world RPG with co-op and split screen!

Soldato
Another town, but I don't see it on my map.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread so not quiet a spoiler. There is 4 maps in total, each one different then the other in regards to climate etc, to that Town you have to go to can be in either of the three other maps. The first map only connects to two of the other maps though, that much I remember. :p

Soldato
I mentioned it earlier in the thread so not quiet a spoiler. There is 4 maps in total, each one different then the other in regards to climate etc, to that Town you have to go to can be in either of the three other maps. The first map only connects to two of the other maps though, that much I remember. :p

I thought it was something like that, but I have no clue where to go. I ended my last game hopelessly lost trying to find the map warp point. I spent about 45 minutes walking in the what turned out to be the wrong direction, since I'm now looking out over a big drop-off that is in the direction I think I need to go but that I can't get down.

Whilst I'm liking some of the different things this game feels and how it just dumps you, a normal guy, in this wilderness and says "okay, you figure it out". BUT I don't feel I have the time to spend my gaming sessions wondering aimlessly around a mostly-empty map. I'm now a bit disheartened and the thought of having to trudge slowly all the way back and then try to orient myself properly is not pulling me back into the game.

C'mon guys, I get this is a "no hand-holding" experience here, but just one or two QoL features would be nice! Or if we are going to have this big rolling empty wilderness, at least give us some more usable landmarks or orienteeting tools! I spent much of my youth navigating unknown places with an Ordinance Survey map and a compass (back when people actually used maps! :)), and I found that a lot easier than finding my way anywhere in this game!

It feels like the only option is to go everywhere until you just recognise the landscape sufficiently. I ain't got time for that!

Soldato
I thought it was something like that, but I have no clue where to go. I ended my last game hopelessly lost trying to find the map warp point. I spent about 45 minutes walking in the what turned out to be the wrong direction, since I'm now looking out over a big drop-off that is in the direction I think I need to go but that I can't get down.

Whilst I'm liking some of the different things this game feels and how it just dumps you, a normal guy, in this wilderness and says "okay, you figure it out". BUT I don't feel I have the time to spend my gaming sessions wondering aimlessly around a mostly-empty map. I'm now a bit disheartened and the thought of having to trudge slowly all the way back and then try to orient myself properly is not pulling me back into the game.

C'mon guys, I get this is a "no hand-holding" experience here, but just one or two QoL features would be nice! Or if we are going to have this big rolling empty wilderness, at least give us some more usable landmarks or orienteeting tools! I spent much of my youth navigating unknown places with an Ordinance Survey map and a compass (back when people actually used maps! :)), and I found that a lot easier than finding my way anywhere in this game!

It feels like the only option is to go everywhere until you just recognise the landscape sufficiently. I ain't got time for that!

That's a good point ! I put my answer in the spoiler, incase others don't want to read it.

In the below image, on the right side, you see two arrows, that's the exit to the other two maps. I don't remember which arrow take you where though, it's been a while since I played it. Also I don't remember if the map was fully exposed from start, or opened up as you explored. In any case, hope the below helps you !

Edit: I do remember you need to bring 'travel portions' or something similar, to be able to pass through to the other map. 3-4 of them I think it was. Just mentioning it so you want have to go back and forth.

azyMmfz.jpg

Soldato
That's a good point ! I put my answer in the spoiler, incase others don't want to read it.

[/SPOILER]

Thanks for that.

I had guessed it was that way. But I don't know how to get there! I thought I was going the right way, only to end up unable to progress any further in the right direction!

The map does start as fully revealed, btw, but it's the lack of landmarks or signposts that's getting me. I thought I'd taken the right path (though it did get dark part way through my journey and I briefly lost the path in my lamplight so I may have got turned-around), and I think I have a rough idea where I must be on the map, but it's a long way back now to a point I can try an alternative route - and I'm not confident that will take me the right way either.

Soldato
Thanks for that.

I had guessed it was that way. But I don't know how to get there! I thought I was going the right way, only to end up unable to progress any further in the right direction!

The map does start as fully revealed, btw, but it's the lack of landmarks or signposts that's getting me. I thought I'd taken the right path (though it did get dark part way through my journey and I briefly lost the path in my lamplight so I may have got turned-around), and I think I have a rough idea where I must be on the map, but it's a long way back now to a point I can try an alternative route - and I'm not confident that will take me the right way either.

You welcome !

I thought that there was signposts at each split, but might be wrong. I do remember at first it took a while to find the right way when out and about. Rest in spoilers.

Have you got yourself a tent and fireplace ? It helps if getting lost in the dark, just use it and sleep to morning ? If memory serves me right, at what looks like a lake before those arrows, with what might be two rocks in it ? Shortly above that there is a small cave, if you only have a sleeping bag, you could sleep in there safely I think. And if you really want to know where you are on the map, I found this at Nexus.

Player Map Markers - Reading the short description and the comments, it seems a bit difficult to install but if you get it to work, then you know where you are on the map, which should help. :)

Soldato
You welcome !

I thought that there was signposts at each split, but might be wrong. I do remember at first it took a while to find the right way when out and about. Rest in spoilers.

Have you got yourself a tent and fireplace ? It helps if getting lost in the dark, just use it and sleep to morning ? If memory serves me right, at what looks like a lake before those arrows, with what might be two rocks in it ? Shortly above that there is a small cave, if you only have a sleeping bag, you could sleep in there safely I think. And if you really want to know where you are on the map, I found this at Nexus.

Player Map Markers - Reading the short description and the comments, it seems a bit difficult to install but if you get it to work, then you know where you are on the map, which should help. :)

I don't have a tent. I don't think I've seen one yet. I'll check the next shop I manage to find.

And that mod looks very helpful. I know it will break the immersion the devs were going for, but I don't think I can take much more aimless wandering!

Cheers.

Soldato
I don't have a tent. I don't think I've seen one yet. I'll check the next shop I manage to find.

And that mod looks very helpful. I know it will break the immersion the devs were going for, but I don't think I can take much more aimless wandering!

Cheers.
Yeah, I know but to be honest the game should have had a toggle for player marker, the default could have been off but for those that wanted it on, could switch it on.

I saw in their update notes from October, that some items have been moved to the Travelling Caravan Merchant. Shouldn't be tents though, but there is some good armour, of sort, that they would be selling. (You know what I mean when you see the stats. :p )

Soldato
Ok. I did figure out where I was. I was actually in a completely different place to what I thought. I was on the south side of the mountain, whereas I thought I was on the east side.

Found some new enemies. Ran away from them because they looked scary. Then found the way to the next location and tried to travel... but I don't have enough rations. :( So I guess I need to find some more food somewhere...

Associate
It's a very fun game, though it's a little short once you start pushing through the storyline stuff.
Quite liked how the game leads you to believe it's easy after fighting one on one but then punishes you for thinking you're a superhuman that could handle multiple enemies at once, the first time walking into a group of bandits after killing a few animals out in the wildnerness really caught me off guard.

It's a really good couch co-op game as well, me and my niece played it to death on the Xbox when it first came out.

Edit:
Tempted to reinstall the game on my PC as I just spotted this in the October patch notes:

****Super Speed: You character must be named 'Code Sonic'. This will display an hidden option in the settings menu that you can toggle to go to really fast.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/794260/announcements/detail/1583503191506960457
Curious to see what the game's like when moving fast...

Soldato
It's the type of game I used to play years ago. Really gives me the feel of the pre-Risen Gothic games. It's a nice change of pace from the all-action, highlighted quests, fast travel RPGs I've got more used to. Not a bad thing, but I do think they maybe went a bit overboard. I'd love a Gothic style system of unlocking teleport stones, for instance. That way you still need to explore and trudge your way through dangerous terrain to find destinations - just not over and over again (very slowly!).

I must have missed the feeling like a superhuman part! I'm finding the combat a bit... I don't know how to express it really. It's kind of light and lacking in a feeling of impact. It seems quite difficult to judge spacing and range. I'm getting by just separating mobs with the bow, leading with a kick and staggering with my halberd. This workd okay for humans, hyenas and troglodytes. I usually get hit once or twice, though, I'm not feeling ready to try it on the tougher-looking enemies I've seen around.

I still don't know what I'm doing (at all), but
When I was trying to figure out where I was whilst lost, I found a door into the mountain. A dude in there bascially killed a load enemies for me whilst I ran around in circles screaming, and now I'm at the heart of the mountain being offered the chance to trade health for mana. I do want to be able to use magic, but is there no other option than giving up my meagre healthpool?

Also, I'm completely over-encumbered, I can't pick up any more loot and it's miles to anywhere!

Associate
I must have missed the feeling like a superhuman part!

When I was trying to figure out where I was whilst lost, I found a door into the mountain. A dude in there bascially killed a load enemies for me whilst I ran around in circles screaming, and now I'm at the heart of the mountain being offered the chance to trade health for mana. I do want to be able to use magic, but is there no other option than giving up my meagre healthpool?
I think I just felt a bit superhuman early in the game because of how simple the AI is in combat, so when you're fighting 1v1 it's painfully easy to just continuously walk in a circle around your enemy and hit them without any risk of taking damage.

I think sacrificing health is the only option if you want to use magic.
You don't need to convert a huge amount of health into mana though as there are numerous pieces of equipment that can reduce the mana cost of your spells.

Soldato
I think I just felt a bit superhuman early in the game because of how simple the AI is in combat, so when you're fighting 1v1 it's painfully easy to just continuously walk in a circle around your enemy and hit them without any risk of taking damage.

I think sacrificing health is the only option if you want to use magic.
You don't need to convert a huge amount of health into mana though as there are numerous pieces of equipment that can reduce the mana cost of your spells.

Damn, I must try that. I reverted straight to my old Gothic tactics of trying to use spacing and timing, but I have been finding the weapon ranges a bit hard to judge for that. Sometimes weapons seem to have a bit of phantom range, other times they don't seem to hit when it looks like they should. I will have to try the old DS staple of blocking and circling.

And I have a spell I can cast! Only it seems a bit underwhelming. And I perhaps foolishly spent half my silver on some robes to reduce mana costs. Which seems a poor investment right now since I don't exactly have much magic. It seems for the time being I've made myself weaker until I can find a way to increase my magic arsenal...

If you still in that cave, there is a merchant there if you look around and that all I will say. :p

:) I did find that person. And then I found that there's hardly anything I want to actually sell. I thought I'd unload a load of stuff, but it seems I'm lugging around a tonne of ingredients and food that I don't want to part with but need to stash somewhere until I can use it. I am back to just about below max weight, though. For now...

Associate
I found that tactic worked for me with the majority of enemies on the first map as they appeared to have a slower turning speed than your character circling them, there were couple of creatures to the east of the second map that I needed to block or dodge roll between circling as they had a bit of an arc on their attacks (I won't say which creatures).

If you do get desperate for inventory space, you should be able to drop stuff somewhere easy to get to and go back to it. I've seen a lot of people saying that most stuff stays in the world for 7 days before despawning.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
If you drop items on the towns/cities it will stay there forever I'm led to believe. Don't forget you have a stash chest in the first town too you can use.

There are also weapon trainers in and around the world that can give you some weapon abilities that can be used - been helpful in the co-op playthrough in doing, I'm using a sword and shield whilst my mate is going in heavy with pistol and sword / 2h sword. I get their attention and dodge / block attacks while he circles behind and gets in a few good hits.

Soldato
I'm getting better, I think. Even took down some of those lightning prawns. That tip about circling was golden. So true - the enemies' melee attacks have no tracking at all!

Things seemed to be going okay. Then it was winter, and I very nearly froze to death in the middle of the map. Now I don't feel like I can go anywhere until the weather improves or I'll be frozen before I get halfway. How long does winter last. I've cleared out the nearby caves a couple of times, sold everyone in town my warm potions and I'm now sitting on over 1200 silver, but waiting for all the snow to blow over...

Soldato
Day 38. Still winter. :(

Winter is by far the toughest enemy I've faced so far. Have killed a load of ghosts and tough looking stone insect things, but have an acute cold.

I did traverse the map to a warmer zone, though, and have now completed my runic magic training. So now I'm broke again. 27 silver to my name.

15 hours in and still feeling a complete noob! But hooked!

Back
Top Bottom