Experiences with p2p car hires?

Soldato
Unsure if this would be better off in GD due to this forum being very obviously for car owners?

Just wondering if anyone had an experiences with Drivy, easyCar, Turo, hiyacar etc? Where we are in London there are plenty of Zipcars and Enterprise Car Club, but to take them away for the weekend always works out so much more than renting it 'normally' from the Enterprise place down the road. The only caveat being with the Enterprise place it's (a) quite a walk and (b) you have to take the Mon off work to return it :(

I'm tempted by some of these p2p hiring apps but really unsure how well they work, how well covered you are? :confused:

Man of Honour
I often look at these and find the pricing hilarious. People charging a fortune to drive a 5 year old 1 series. Always seems cheaper to just to rent a brand new one from a traditional hire firm.

Soldato
OP
Enterprise do free pick-up/drop-off if you ask nicely. Quite a large radius aswell.
Thanks will investigate.

I often look at these and find the pricing hilarious.
I guess it's convenience over anything. Our alternative is to walk 35mins through a grim part of town,to the Enterprise under a motorway overpass, never knowing what you're getting, then stuck with it until Monday morning and have to take the morning off work to return it. Its just not very useful for a chilled weekend away

Soldato
OP
Neither is someone elses second hand car for way over the odds to be fair.
Well, Enterprise are quoting £102 for a large compact (we've managed to wangle a new Focus ST the last couple of times), picking up 6pm Friday, returning 8am Mon. To get an early start on the Sat we have to pick up Friday evening, 6pm is the latest they are open so not-only do you have to be late for work on Mon, you have to leave work early on the Friday to get the car.

In comparison Turo is currently giving me £98 for Fri 8pm pickup from a location next to the tube station on the way home), until a Sun 8pm drop-off. That's for a 2016 Mercedes A class.

My point is, you can see why people are using the apps. You can get even cheaper on easyCar Club.

Anyhoo, going off on a tangent, has anyone had an experience of these or am I allowed to pose the question in GD where there are less car owners?

Man of Honour
In comparison Turo is currently giving me £98 for Fri 8pm pickup from a location next to the tube station on the way home), until a Sun 8pm drop-off. That's for a 2016 Mercedes A class.

Exactly. A hundred quid for someone else's second hand 4 year old A class. What on earth? It's just nonsense money. I'd take the new Focus over that any day.

100 quid for 2 days in a random persons car, lol

Ive rented brand new 350bhp BMWs for less than that per day!

No idea where in London you are but for next weekend at a random London location Thrifty have BMW 1 series at 76 quid for 3 days. For the price of your A Class Thrifty will provide you with a brand new 3 series.

Brand new current model car over random persons car, I'd would need to be less than half the price for me to even consider it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm in west London. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Hiring cars is generally expensive and you're beholden (by the nature of not having a car) by going somewhere near to you, and on their times. Couple that with weekend rates etc. Were you looking at a weekend? Do they open late on Fridays? Are they open on Sundays to return?

The point is, we just want some wheels. I wouldn't care that much if it's a brand new BMW 1 series or a moderately well-looked after 4yr/old A class :confused:

Soldato
Why can't you get them to deliver it to you?

You then take it back and there's a key drop off box normally so you don't have to do it during office hours.

Man of Honour
I'm in west London.

Handy, as the random Thrifty I picked was also in West London. Can't remember which but there were a bunch of branches. Depending where in West London don't forget Heathrow is also available as a 24/7 operation.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Hiring cars is generally expensive and you're beholden (by the nature of not having a car) by going somewhere near to you, and on their times. Couple that with weekend rates etc. Were you looking at a weekend? Do they open late on Fridays? Are they open on Sundays to return?

I looked at Friday just before close to Monday just before close - 3 24 hour periods. Just checked again, 10am Friday till 10am Monday, London West branch, Focus is 80 quid, 1 Series 90 quid. Why pay more, especially for an objectively inferior product. You could probably pay for a taxi with the saving :D Most places allow after hours return if convenient.

The point is, we just want some wheels. I wouldn't care that much if it's a brand new BMW 1 series or a moderately well-looked after 4yr/old A class :confused:

If you just want some wheels why are you trying to rent premium cars? It was even cheaper for 'some wheels' - I picked the 1 Series as its comparable in class to the A Class.

The point is that a proper established car hire company will rent you a £20k-35k Asset for the same or less than these random firms will rent you a much older £10k one. If anything else a brand new car is more pleasant and more reliable experience than some random persons 4 year old A Class.

These P2P Services need to be rock bottom cheap to make any sense and they just don't seem to be. At 50 quid for the weekend perhaps its worth it. Not at more than this and certainly not at more than it costs to rent a brand new car from a major rental firm!

Caporegime
I've often wondered about the scope to get screwed by these companies. What are the criteria for listing your car on there? What if you're using someone's car and the head gasket goes? What if someone's renting your car and they total it? As the old saying goes, "the fastest car in the world is a rental car". I've no problem with that being a car which is purchased for the sole purpose of rental, but what about someone's weekend car?

Too many potentials for me, therefore I'm out.

Soldato
I've often wondered about the scope to get screwed by these companies. What are the criteria for listing your car on there? What if you're using someone's car and the head gasket goes? What if someone's renting your car and they total it? As the old saying goes, "the fastest car in the world is a rental car". I've no problem with that being a car which is purchased for the sole purpose of rental, but what about someone's weekend car?

Too many potentials for me, therefore I'm out.

This is what I'd be worried about too, if the 4 year old car breaks down 200 miles away from, what do you do about a replacement? Is this covered by the service, or are you reliant on the owners own breakdown cover? With a proper rental company, you head to the nearest branch and pick up a replacement...

Soldato
OP
I've often wondered about the scope to get screwed by these companies.
Me too, hence the thread :) You are fully insured but the breakdown cover is something I'd find out beforehand for sure! This is what I was hoping to find out or discuss here...

Can you not get it delivered and collected from work?
Um no. I work in the heart of the west end. There is no parking and if the an was to get it Fri eve and head straight out, well that'd be adding a good 1.5hrs to get out of town on what is probably a 2hr drive from where I live out west (as an example).

Caporegime
Unsure if this would be better off in GD due to this forum being very obviously for car owners?

Just wondering if anyone had an experiences with Drivy, easyCar, Turo, hiyacar etc? Where we are in London there are plenty of Zipcars and Enterprise Car Club, but to take them away for the weekend always works out so much more than renting it 'normally' from the Enterprise place down the road. The only caveat being with the Enterprise place it's (a) quite a walk and (b) you have to take the Mon off work to return it :(

I'm tempted by some of these p2p hiring apps but really unsure how well they work, how well covered you are? :confused:

I've used TURO in LA. Was like $40 per day for a mustang. $90 per day for a Porsche Mecan S (2017 model could get older models for less like $60 per day). $120 per day for a G Wagon.

They were my 3 preferences. I opted for the G Wagon. I told my mate who was going to do the booking. he messed about and subsequently it was taken by someone else and all the other G Wagons were a lot more expensive.

So we took the porsche. You choose insurance within the booking and the standard cover is normally included with optional cover more expensive if i recall correctly. I think we went with the standard as it was good but we had a local confirm this as he told us sometimes the insurance isn't good and need to go with more expensive option.

Comparing with car rental firms they were a lot more expensive.

That was the US. I imagine here it's crap as it's not really caught on here and cars are so expensive to run and maintain here.

Soldato
Just get an uber to the hire location, there's so many of them around London that it shouldn't cost you much. Also, ask the hire company what time they open on Monday - you might be able to drop it off at 8am and continue on to work.

Soldato
Hired a 2012 Yellow Camaro RS in Florida in December via Turo which cost me $50 a day including them dropping the car to our villa, picking it up, a full tank of fuel and a $20 7/11 gift card. You could also return it empty with no fuel at no cost.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hired a 2012 Yellow Camaro RS in Florida in December via Turo which cost me $50 a day including them dropping the car to our villa, picking it up, a full tank of fuel and a $20 7/11 gift card. You could also return it empty with no fuel at no cost.

Id be amazed if you couldn't hire a brand new Camaro for similar money. An 8 year old rental car? Why would you?

Last edited:
Soldato
Id be amazed if you couldn't hire a brand new Camaro for similar money. An 8 year old rental car? Why would you?

I Wanted to drive bumble bee! Tbh I only went with them as a last minute decision, we were 1 week into the holiday and I was sharing a Dodge caravan with the family which was getting tedious. So the benefit of them dropping and picking the car up at our villa as well as the no deposit made it really convenient.

Back
Top Bottom