Keyboard layout - what do you like?

Soldato
Triggered by a silly reason - keeping a keyboard in my locker at work - I've started wondering if I can find a keyboard with the full ISO layout under 41cm wide.

Essentially I want to make it easier to plonk in the locker on a tray with my laptop. Right now I have to separately manoeuvre it in.

I'm wondering if I should look into an alternative layout. I use literally every key on the board (ok SysRq is rare but I do). Numpad, arrows and navigation all get used a lot.

Is there something that isn't lacking too many keys that might work for me? I'm a bit wary of adjusting to new layouts as I also use full ISO keyboards at home, laptop keyboard, etc.

Soldato
Head over to the mechanical keyboard subreddit and take a look at the phenomenal options you have. My vote goes to the Chimera Ortho which is very easy to adopt instead of remaining with a full layout. Additional buttons you need are on a different layer, i.e. numpad is activated on the right half by depressing the far left thumb button.

qr36t3f0m8a01.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm thinking tenkeyless and a separate USB numpad may be my solution.

Just don't know how to get a decent numpad which will be similar to whatever main board I buy.

Soldato
I don't believe anyone can test to the best layout and keyboard without having a few dozen different to play and try out. I'm 50 now and never have I been any place in the world that has more than 4 or 5 you can try in a store. Madness although probably not practical for a retailer to do.
I've just gone from type to type never really knowing if what I have is actually best for me.
I definitely prefer a full layout if possible and not raised high (Lower profile keys).

Man of Honour
I have a full sized one but if I were buying a new one then I would be getting a TKL with either brown or topre switches.

60% ISO (currently on a DZ60 build, carbon plate, Holy Chickies and a nice wooden case) is my preferred but I've just ordered a Murder Alice in matt black to try. Does mean adjusting to ANSI, but I'll finally have a home for my GMK Skiidata R2 set.

When GMK Umbra releases in May I'm doing a Canoe build with Vintage Cherry Blacks.

I've just read that post back, 6 months ago that would have made absolutely no sense to me. It's an addictive hobby, I'll be honest. :D

Soldato
It's an absolute black hole of a hobby, there's just so many options and you can tweak and code to your hearts desire.

To me the key is to find the right switch for you and pair that with a quality keycap set like GMK Hyperfuse. That's it, now you can really enjoy different layouts and then jump into QMK firmware coding and create all the shortcuts and layers to fit you perfectly.

If you want to swallow the red pill -> https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/

Soldato
Full sized. Don't see the point in having small ones, I don't have a tiny desk and I use my keyboard for more than gaming.

The point is to minimize strain for those who write or code, the more you can remain on the home-row (fingers on the F and J keys) the less strain you get (i.e. reaching the right pinky finger out to the backspace key).

Soldato
OP
The point is to minimize strain for those who write or code, the more you can remain on the home-row (fingers on the F and J keys) the less strain you get (i.e. reaching the right pinky finger out to the backspace key).
Yeah but also if you use all the keys, that's a lot of brain rewiring to learn key maps.

Soldato
Yeah but also if you use all the keys, that's a lot of brain rewiring to learn key maps.

It's funny you say that because as much as I love my small form factor keyboards for the lack of fatigue, which really is night and day, they are definitely slower to use than a full sized. I can't tell if that will be cured by spending more time with it or if you'll never quite reach that speed.

What I'm experimenting with right now is a full size (TKL close enough) which is fully programmable so I can maintain the speed but still program additional layers. However, I'm really missing backspace on the left thumb.

DSC04142 by Jayin Lee, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom