Spec me a petrol car (ecoboost any good)

Soldato
Arnold Clark are actually not too bad, I took a Focus out to test drive before buying mine (from the main dealer) and apart from the obligatory email with the 'walkround' video that I ignored I never really got hassled, just said I was looking at a Focus and wasn't sure if to buy or lease and he was happy for me to take it for a spin.

Car Supermarkets are the best place to go if you explain you've got an idea of the cars you've shortlisted and if they have them in stock shouldn't be an issue taking them out for a drive as you can't surely make up your mind if you haven't tried them, you don't have to buy from them but make them think you will so they'll let you take the vehicles out.

My brother wanted to test drive a Toyota from a main dealer recently and they wouldn't let him unless he agreed a deal and put down a deposit before hand, I laughed and said I'd have walked straight out which is what he did coincidentally.

Man of Honour
My i20 has a 1l turbo puts out 120bhp and 171Nm torque much better than the 1.4l in my old Astra. Doesn't particularly feel like you've got to rag the backside off it either.

Soldato
It's a company called Arnold Clark who have a bit of a monopoly up here. In my experience they take a test drive as a handshake. Similar to your experience, it's 101 questions beforehand and they don't really like you test driving one of their cars unless they are reasonably confident that they've got you on the hook.

I'll need to get something arranged because 1.0L petrol in a Focus just doesn't compute in my brain so I need to get educated. :)

I've got a 1.0 Focus Estate with a conventional auto. Didn't struggle to stay at 70mph even four-up going over the Pennines on the motorway. Cracking little engine, and I'm so glad it's back to a conventional (torque convertor) automatic instead of the dodgy dual-clutch Powershift. It's a 6-speed in the Mk3.5 but Mk4 (2018+) is an 8-speed which is apparently very good.

EDIT: Also just seen you went for the 1.5, but yea, the 1.0 is still a cracking little engine.

Back
Top Bottom