Advice on choosing a new Android (Camera) Phone

Soldato
I think the Apple iphone 11 Pro is too expensive, so I'm ruling that out before anyone suggests it!

I do not use a phone for anything productive.:cool:

I'll use it for calls, various apps (banking, email etc) and taking photos. I'm more concerned with a phone that takes decent photos as I believe all of the phones out there will run any apps I throw at it without any issue. I'm talking snaps for social media, i.e. Facebook etc. Camera "quality" is probably the single most important issue to me so I don't need to carry my DSLR around with me so much, especially for social occasions when it's just overkill. Decent low light capability would be advantageous.

Galaxy S10/S10+ is on the shortlist, but not the Note version as I think it's just too physically big. Haven't seen/held one yet, but Google's Pixel 4 looks to be interesting spec wise as does Huawei's P30 Pro. I believe all have decent cameras from the various online reviews I've read. All within budget.

Concerned I might be missing phones that I should be considering and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of other phones (or models from manufacturers already mentioned above) that I should also be considering?

Last edited:
Associate
If you want camera quality, iPhone 11 Pro is probably the best all rounder. Pixel 4 has a great camera, but lacks an ultra wide sensor and video is questionable. Galaxy S10 and Note 10 are great all rounders, not quite as good in low light as the other two but not bad.

Pixel 4 has other issues as a phone in general that make it hard to recommend over the iPhone or S10.

If budget is a concern, Oneplus 7T Pro is a great phone for its price, although the camera isn't quite as good as other flagships.

If your purchase can wait 6 weeks or so, the Galaxy S20 is looking like having a great camera suite, although of course you'll be paying RRP. Might even see further discounts on an S10.

Soldato
OP
If you want camera quality, iPhone 11 Pro is probably the best all rounder. Pixel 4 has a great camera, but lacks an ultra wide sensor and video is questionable. Galaxy S10 and Note 10 are great all rounders, not quite as good in low light as the other two but not bad.
I've read the iphone 11 pro has a good camera, but how much better is it than other iphones? I can't help but wonder if maybe the iphone X (or whatever the model is below) would be good enough for me. I can't seem to find a review which compares the cameras, just recommendations with affiliate links.

I've just realised I keep getting mixed up between the Galaxy and Note models for Samsung, ignore what I wrote in my OP about size/weight for the S10+, it's not too big, it's the Note version that is too big.

Pixel 4 has other issues as a phone in general that make it hard to recommend over the iPhone or S10.
Any chance you could elaborate on these issues? I think I read somwhere that battery life was an issue, but I believe Pixel 4's camera is second to none?

If budget is a concern, Oneplus 7T Pro is a great phone for its price, although the camera isn't quite as good as other flagships.
I shall check it out, thanks.

If your purchase can wait 6 weeks or so, the Galaxy S20 is looking like having a great camera suite, although of course you'll be paying RRP. Might even see further discounts on an S10.
I'll need something sooner to be honest, might be able to wait a couple of weeks, but not 6 I suspect.

Associate
Regarding Pixel 4, battery is a big one. There's also some issues with the screen and refresh not actually staying at 90Hz, the new radar and gesture stuff that they've put in the top bezel hasn't been particularly useful or accurate, despite them taking up so much space that could have been screen instead. And finally the camera is great for basic shots, but there's no ultra wide sensor, and no 4k60 video, only 4k30.

Basically other flagships don't have these problems, and do have those missing features, but it's priced above or similar to them. And then the base storage option is 64GB and its £100 more just to get 128GB...

Associate
You don't need a high end phone to do what you want it to do so...

I recommend the pixel 3a, it has a nice camera and will do all you want the phone to do flawlessly.

Plus save some money going with the pixel 3a as well,

Dan.

Soldato
OP
You don't need a high end phone to do what you want it to do so...

I recommend the pixel 3a, it has a nice camera and will do all you want the phone to do flawlessly.

Plus save some money going with the pixel 3a as well,

Dan.
Certainly true, I don't need it. I could get by with much, much less, but I'll wait and see what happens with pricing for the models it replaces. It does look interesting though, intrigued as to the lens it has:- https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/12/...y-s20-plus-photos-leak-name-cameras-confirmed

I do like the look of the Google Pixel's btw, not ruling them out.

Associate
Afternoon all, I've been looking at the same phones as OP for my daughter. She uses the camera a lot and posts much of it online so is looking for a very good camera. I'm paying so don't want to break the bank !

I've read that the P30 may have in the future ( or now ) restrictions put on it by Google, ie no updates/access to play store. Is liable to be an issue over its 24 month life ?

Soldato
I was very impressed by the camera on the OnePlus 7T :) Very versatile and good computational photography. I'd say photos looked more aesthetically pleasing than an S10 I was using for about a month. 7T was also much better phone in general.

If you want to keep budget low, the Honor View 20 Pro is decent value, but the View 30 Pro will be out soon.

I'd say you're best at looking for versatility and computational. Something with night mode and wide angle will do well :)

Afternoon all, I've been looking at the same phones as OP for my daughter. She uses the camera a lot and posts much of it online so is looking for a very good camera. I'm paying so don't want to break the bank !

I've read that the P30 may have in the future ( or now ) restrictions put on it by Google, ie no updates/access to play store. Is liable to be an issue over its 24 month life ?

From what I've seen, all current devices from Huawei won't have the restrictions imposed on them. Cheaper alternative is the V20 Pro at £399 from Amazon or JL - reviews mention photos look very decent :)

Soldato
s10e if social media photos are important, Samsung are the only android phones (afaik) that using native camera for apps like Snapchat and Instagram stories.

Back
Top Bottom