What Restaurant did you eat at last night?

Soldato
It's my birthday this month so this past weekend I was taken to Ynyshir where we stayed in one of garden rooms and then had dinner at the pass bench which is right in the kitchen.

We went to Ynyshir last year and it blew me away, such amazing food in a very relaxed environment. This time it was even better. The food has improved (and the switch to aged Japanese Wagyu A5 is a stroke of genius) and sitting where we did we got to speak to the chefs and see how service runs. It's an incredibly slick machine.

This was our menu:
PUW6v8s.jpg

At our previous visit the real standout dish was the wagyu burger (which at the time was made with Welsh wagyu) and I'd mentioned this to one of the chefs whilst sitting having a drink before going to our table. Afte rthe burger was served this time another one arrived with the chef saying "we heard you like this" and then another arrived after that.

Standouts this time were the wagyu burger and lamb rib but there was nothing on there that didn't taste amazing, it's just the burger and lamb rib were extra amazing.

There isn't a wine pairing as such on offer, you tell teh team what wines you like and then they'll suggest something to go with the food. Most wines are available by the glass and there's a large selection to choose from.

The only thing I can fault about the whole experience is that the weather was utterly foul when we arrived but I can't really blame the team for that ;)

Soldato
Yep. I don't know how much but I did hear other people being asked to make a choice but as we were on the pass bench our menu included the wagyu anyway.

Thanks.

Not quite last night but we did visit The Black Swan at Oldstead in November. Excellent evening, top notch food (as you'd expect) and a lovely relaxed atmosphere but still spot-on service.

We stayed at a pub in another village close to Oldstead and they (if you ask nicely) give you a lift to/from The Black Swan for free. The pub owners are happy making money on the B&B and repeat business from guests who've originally gone for The Black Swan. I'll dig out the name if anyone wants it.

Soldato
The Black Swan is awesome, went there in February last year.

If you could dig out the name of the other pub that'd be great, it'd make it easier for us to go back to the Black Swan.

The Fauconberg in Coxwold. Lovely little village and a great pub. We only had one night there, but the evening menu looked very good - excellent breakfast. Oh, and the Isaac Poad Piccadilly Porter was one of the best pints I've ever had. Even joined the locals lock-in once we'd got picked up from The Black Swan :D

https://www.fauconbergarms.com/

Soldato
Off to Amsterdam/Utrecht next week. Am a little awkwardly split between the 2. Wish i'd split the hotel in each rather than staying all 4 nights in Utrecht and traveling into Amsterdam.

Have 3 options for food. Not sure i could pass more than one past the wife.

There's the restaurant in our Hotel. https://karel5.nl/en/gastro/menu

It looks very grand and impressive, and the current menu sounds delicious. The opening Scallop with blood orange and ginger sounds amazing.

Then there's a smaller, more independant place which looks really good. Slightly cheaper too https://www.restaurantconcours.nl/#post-4 Although no sign of example menus as they just work on the fly.

Finally i found this place https://www.wilhelminapark.nl/menu/ The setting looks lovely and again get some Scallops!

What would be your pick? There are also a couple of starred restaurants, but looking at their menu/cost i'm not sure my wife would be as much of a fan of them.

Soldato
The last one looks best to me. Ceviche of scallop and cod with with king bolettes :) Mid-price, too. Seems the hotel one is most expenny. I'd do any of them.

Back to Malaysia tomorrow for me. Idea was to see the missus for two weeks but she has been told at the last minute to go to India for six days bang in the middle :( I'm going to Penang and Ipoh for Chinese New Year weekend celebrations, then jungle trekking in the Cameron Highlands. Finally back to KL to get loved up :eek:

Soldato
Just went to Riddle & Finns for lunch with some friends. It's very well known in Brighton so kind of weird I've never been before :p

I just had the set menu and went for the Tuna sashimi with wafu and sesame radish for the starter, then a clam risotto as the main.

The Tuna was great, subtle flavours but paired very well with the Tuna which was very fresh. The risotto was good, but nothing amazing, kind of wished I'd gone for the other option (pan-seared Hake with Asian noodle soup).

Overall I thought it was very good and the price was completely reasonable, £21 with a beer but paid £30 after service charge + a tip.

Soldato
The last one looks best to me. Ceviche of scallop and cod with with king bolettes :) Mid-price, too. Seems the hotel one is most expenny. I'd do any of them.

Went to the last one. Really nice setting within a park.

Did laugh however when my wife was commenting on the scallops being uncooked... I went with the 5 course option with the 5th course being a "surprise", it ended up being the 3rd course and was a venison style sausage rolle which was delicious.

Bit gutted though as found this place during a bit of exploring and would've loved to eat high up with decent views. I'm a sucker for a tall building, although my wife wouldn't have liked the menu much

https://wturbankitchen.nl/en/menu-urban-kitchen/

Had a few great meals whilst there though. An amazing steak at a place called "Meats and More"
https://www.meatandmore.nl/en/

And then a place which was called "FAK" which was French Asian Kitchen, although i'm not sure where the french influence came into it, it was pretty much just Asian small plates.

Soldato
Saturday night at ate at the Bybrook Restaurant in the Manor House Hotel in Castle Coombe. We went for the tasting menu plus wine pairings and it was a superb dinner!

One of my pet peeves is when a dish claims to have citrus in it but you can't taste it but that wasn't the case here. The yuzu curing on the salmon was prominent but it didn't overpower the taste of the salmon.

Associate
Saturday night at ate at the Bybrook Restaurant in the Manor House Hotel in Castle Coombe. We went for the tasting menu plus wine pairings and it was a superb dinner!

One of my pet peeves is when a dish claims to have citrus in it but you can't taste it but that wasn't the case here. The yuzu curing on the salmon was prominent but it didn't overpower the taste of the salmon.

I am really enjoying the amount of Yuzu I am seeing on menus at the moment

Soldato
Last night we are at Olympe in Rio De Janeiro which was really wonderful. Superb food and great wine.

We’d booked a few months ago but were asked to reschedule our reservation as the restaurant had cocked up and not blocked out the date for a private event in the date we originally booked. No problem for us to move it and the couple of glasses of Brazilian sparkling they gave as an apology was very much appreciated.

Associate
Last Saturday I ate at Dill in Reykjavík, Iceland.
It’s currently the only restaurant in Iceland to hold a Michelin Star. I had the wine paring with the taster menu.
It was fantastic, it ended up being 15 courses and they absolutely plied me with wine (something you don’t often see with wine tasters in the UK). I left very merry and very full. I can highly recommend it for people who happen to be visiting Iceland.

Back
Top Bottom