What watch do you wear?

Soldato
Lume!

img_20191214_233657_by_saiper_ddoetlc-fullview.jpg

Associate
I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea but a new arrival this week. Really pleased with it. Feels like a special watch.

cId0jeM

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/cId0jeM"><a href="//imgur.com/a/cId0jeM">Rolex Yacht-Master 2</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

image]

Last edited:
Soldato
It didn't feel as painful as I traded my Sea Dweller 50 in against it so wasn't a huge jump as they are going for overs and this was below RRP.
The Yacht Master II is a marmite watch. I like the contrasting blue & white bezel/dial and timer is certainly interesting :)

Soldato
I joined the smart watch club today with a Fitbit Versa 2.
I'm wearing it on my other wrist and got it mostly to track my sleep but the other info it logs is quite useful too. The battery life is amazing, it's quoted at 5 days but most people get 6-7 days.

49397747068_673254bc72_b.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I use a Huwei Band 3 Pro. Costs ~50 quid, is very small, and does work very well, way more than 5 days too. That one has a GPS built in, so you get a good track of the walks etc. I don't really use it for notifications and stuff, I'm the sort of guy who deal with that stuff only a couple times a day, on my own time.

Soldato
Has anyone used skywatches.com.sg before? I’m after a SNKL23 or 15 and they seem to be the only place who have them in stock for a reasonable price.

If not any places I can look? Creation are out of stock at the moment :(

Associate
I've used both Creation (once, i think) and Skywatches (3 times, i think) before and not had a problem with either - I've also used Sakurawatches too, as another option.

Just remember you're likely to be hit with import tax & duty, so factor that into the cost (plus approx tenner "handling fee")... - assume 24% for worse case? I think the first couple watches slipped through without tax, but they've been far more vigilent in the recent few years.

Soldato
I've used both Creation (once, i think) and Skywatches (3 times, i think) before and not had a problem with either - I've also used Sakurawatches too, as another option.

Just remember you're likely to be hit with import tax & duty, so factor that into the cost (plus approx tenner "handling fee")... - assume 24% for worse case? I think the first couple watches slipped through without tax, but they've been far more vigilent in the recent few years.
There is no duty due, only VAT for a watch like this. Unless you're importing bulk, duty will not be due (it is technically due, but is not collected until over a certain value, and the value is very, very low per watch, so will only be reached when you import lots of the things).
So yes to the 20% on both the value and shipping cost, as well as the handling fees which seem to vary with the winds.

Associate
There is no duty due, only VAT for a watch like this. Unless you're importing bulk, duty will not be due (it is technically due, but is not collected until over a certain value, and the value is very, very low per watch, so will only be reached when you import lots of the things).
So yes to the 20% on both the value and shipping cost, as well as the handling fees which seem to vary with the winds.
how is there no duty?

according to gov site: https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
watch duty is 4.5% for goods over £135 or gifts above £630 (2.5% for gifts between £135 and £630).

(4.5% is from https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/9101?currency=EUR&day=18&month=1&year=2020 )

So, if it's (fraudulenty) marked as a gift then it should be 2.5%, otherwise 4.5%. The only way I can see there being no duty, is for its value to be under £135.

Caporegime
FYI if you order from Creation choose the paid Royal Mail delivery option and it comes from a warehouse in the UK rather than China so you definitely don't have to worry about any additional costs.

Soldato
how is there no duty?

watch duty is 4.5% for goods over £135 or gifts above £630 (2.5% for gifts between £135 and £630).

(4.5% is from https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/headings/9101?currency=EUR&day=18&month=1&year=2020 )

So, if it's (fraudulenty) marked as a gift then it should be 2.5%, otherwise 4.5%. The only way I can see there being no duty, is for its value to be under £135.
Well, the watch is worth less than £135 isn't it... you've said it yourself!

Soldato
how is there no duty?

No fraud involved. You need to delve a little deeper into how duty is applied than use the generic .gov statement (if it was as simple as the very brief summary you noted, it would be putting a lot of people of a job!).

The relevant section is here as it's an automatic winding watch: https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9102210000#import

I hope that goes some way to indicate just how huge an area of detail importing goods is. That is the section solely for watches with automatic winding!

Soldato
Well, the watch is worth less than £135 isn't it... you've said it yourself!
That is correct in this instance, yes. But even if it was worth more, no duties would be collected.

The maximum that can be claimed from a watch with the characteristics linked to (in short, a wristwatch with automatic winding) is 0.80 Euros. Duty of that amount is not collected.

In short, your SS Rolex and your Seiko SKX would have the same duty actually collected from you: nil.

Associate
No fraud involved. You need to delve a little deeper into how duty is applied than use the generic .gov statement (if it was as simple as the very brief summary you noted, it would be putting a lot of people of a job!).

The relevant section is here as it's an automatic winding watch: https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9102210000#import

I hope that goes some way to indicate just how huge an area of detail importing goods is. That is the section solely for watches with automatic winding!
how weird... Thanks for the link and insight. Nice to see a proper answer instead of the usual "ask them to mark it as a gift with a lower value"

Soldato
how weird... Thanks for the link and insight. Nice to see a proper answer instead of the usual "ask them to mark it as a gift with a lower value"

Simply not worth the risk in my opinion, but to each their own.

What's crucial is that the exporter marks the package correctly (the commodity code noted in the page I linked to is the correct code), but some will only put what they deem most appropriate.

You as the importer are held responsible for what the exporter labels the package as, so I always ensure I've evidence of how I've requested them to describe the item(s), just in case the exporter decides to 'help' and call a retail watch a gift spade.

Soldato
My cheap little Seiko 5 turned up today. Really pleased with it. The black fabric strap it came with was not to my taste so swapped it for simple brown leather one. Really good value little watch :)
(Haven’t set the time and date yet!)
LJKD9Wrl.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom