LG OLED C9 as a PC monitor - Yes, I'm crazy, Yes time to get some burn in.

Associate
Would running the CX48 at 3840 x 1600 allow the use of a higher setting at 120hz than 4:2:0 with HDMI 2.0?

I's more than 2 million pixels less than full 4k

No, that is not how TV backplanes work. If you display a smaller image, the "black" image-less areas are still drawn within the set backplane bandwidth.

Since the 2020 LG OLEDs have 120 Hz BFI, the TV backplane is actually 240 Hz. 120 Hz worth of bandwidth is used to draw the "on" image and 120 Hz worth of bandwidth is used to draw the "off/black" image. Both believe it or not take exactly the same bandwidth. In theory, LG could make the TV display a 240 Hz "on" sample and hold image. But they probably won't, because there is no display input that has enough bandwidth to send a signal that demanding.

We will have to wait for Displayport 2.0 for 4K/240 Hz.

Soldato
What about HDMI 2.1?

iirc hdmi 2.1 only goes up to 4K 120hz
/8k 60hz if the signal is 10 bit rgb 4:4:4 with HDR

for 4K 240hz or 8k 120hz it doesn't have enough bandwidth

hdmi 2.1 bandwidth is 48Gb
DisplayPort 2.0 is 77Gb

I'm not entirely sure DisplayPort 2.0 has enough bandwidth for 4K 240hz or 8k 120hz either, of it scales linearly then it won't be enough.

Last edited:
Associate
"The 48 Gbit/s bandwidth provided by HDMI 2.1 is enough for 8K resolution at approximately 50 Hz, with 8 bpc RGB or Y′CBCR 4:4:4 color."

8K@60Hz and 4K@240Hz are identical bandwidth, everything else being equal. HDMI 2.1 cannot do either of those without Dynamic Stream Compression.

The nice thing about DP 2.0 is it can do 8K/60Hz and 4K@240Hz with 12bit RGB or Y′CBCR 4:4:4 color HDR with no DSC.

Soldato
OP
LG have now allowed 4K/120Hz at 4:2:0 chroma which was disallowed on the 2019 sets. That can fit in HDMI 2.0b's bandwidth. You have to wait for HDMI 2.1 GPUs to use full 4K120/4:4:4 or full RGB chroma.

This is a great move though as it allows the wait for HDMI 2.1 GPUs to not be as painful.

On top of that. 120 Hz BFI looks to be in. Anyone would have to be crazy to get a traditional expensive LCD "gaming monitor" over this beauty.

And 48" seems to take a bit of the edge off such a large display versus 55" for desktop use:

55-inch-16x9-vs-48-inch-16x9.png

Yup. Looks much more palatable. I'd personally still rather try and find a ft of space and have a huge screen.

Once you ultrawide the screen's resolution, it becomes as big as a CRG9 width wise so not exactly out out of this world in terms of usability.

Also a 55'' OLED screen will always do a great job as a TV when you want to upgrade in a year or two or three, whilst I think a 48'' screen size is a tad on the small size for multi-functional use.

I know if I get a 55'' OLED, I can easily a couple of years down the road put it in a room and it'll be a very decent TV, but I feel 48 inches is on the slightly smaller size, especially for letterbox content.

The 4:2:0 is interesting. Will wait for reviewes and image comparisons
I think anyone shelling out big money for a monitor which isn't the Samsung G9 is crazy and an OLED panel with a custom resolution destroys anything else on the marker (I still have a soft spot for 32:9 being something magical and akin to an eyefinity display)

Associate
Just reached one full month with mine (55")

Totally in love. Beated Gears 5 and i am replaying Mass Effect Andromeda.

LOL, even SDR content flourish to new heights in this TV, Trine 4 looks gorgeous, the colors drolls from the TV.

Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries look amazing and the night missions are a treat on this TV.

Hard to find a flaw on it.

Associate
I have a quote for a C955 brand new delivered with full 5/6 year warranty @ £1089, but not sure if I should take it, its very large as a PC monitor, I don't have the ability to sit back beyond 2-3 feet, and I am a little concerned about burn in :/....at the same time, the prices have just gone back up, apparently LG put prices up by £200, so its a steal according to what others tell me. Someone help me make my mind up please!

Caporegime
I have a quote for a C955 brand new delivered with full 5/6 year warranty @ £1089, but not sure if I should take it, its very large as a PC monitor, I don't have the ability to sit back beyond 2-3 feet, and I am a little concerned about burn in :/....at the same time, the prices have just gone back up, apparently LG put prices up by £200, so its a steal according to what others tell me. Someone help me make my mind up please!

Way too big for 2/3 feet, you'd be better off with a 32" or 34" Ultrawide imo.

Associate
For those of you that have been using this as a monitor, how are you getting, have you noticed any issues with burn in or image rentention? People are suggesting varying the content that you play or watch throughout the day but according to official sources, burn in is cumulative anyway. I imagine you will have to do about 500+ hours before it starts to set in, but still, concerning.

Associate
For those of you that have been using this as a monitor, how are you getting, have you noticed any issues with burn in or image rentention? People are suggesting varying the content that you play or watch throughout the day but according to official sources, burn in is cumulative anyway. I imagine you will have to do about 500+ hours before it starts to set in, but still, concerning.

No issues so far. My mitigations are:

No wallpaper, no desktop icons, auto hide taskbar
Forced screensaver (colored strips) after 2min
Logo Luminance ON in low mode
OLED light at 55ish (sometimes it is too strong, so i down it a little to 50, for SDR usage obviously, in HDR is 100 all the way up)
Sometimes i notice (while i am browsing the web or just using firefox) the TV displacing the image a little to the left or the right or even down a little. Like it moves the whole image a pixel or two bellow. So i believe it is aware and working against burn in.

It is concerning ? Yes. But what you get is unattainable otherwise, so i´m good.

Associate
Hmmm this has me a little concerned, penny for your thoughts ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txjLA8spaC0 This is a MUST WATCH!

Obviously, avoiding burn in, the TV would still have a 5/6 year warranty so replacement would be to something very high end at that point I imagine in place for a 55 C9, but perhaps not an OLED....

lol that guy is a click bait tool. Read the article of his "source".

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2020/01/133_281788.html

Tons of speculation based off a single source "Korean times" article that in-itself has tons of errors in it. NOWHERE does LG state a "ceiling" has been reached with OLED technology. Inferring that simply off of a small patent blurb about burn-in and yield rates is total dishonest click-bait nonsense. And it would also be silly to not invest in as many technologies as you could.

Associate
No issues so far. My mitigations are:

No wallpaper, no desktop icons, auto hide taskbar.

Do you do any extended work on your PC? At any one time I like to have WhatsApp Desktop open on the screen, Discord, iTunes mini player, and then a chrome window for a few hours at a time with everything basically static (URL bar, tabs, bookmarks), or an excel spreadsheet/word doc while working. Now and then a game for a few hours in one sitting. Netflix and youtube etc not that big of a deal because the video is always changing, but overall it just seems like a recipe for image retention after the first day lol.

Associate
Do you do any extended work on your PC? At any one time I like to have WhatsApp Desktop open on the screen, Discord, iTunes mini player, and then a chrome window for a few hours at a time with everything basically static (URL bar, tabs, bookmarks), or an excel spreadsheet/word doc while working. Now and then a game for a few hours in one sitting. Netflix and youtube etc not that big of a deal because the video is always changing, but overall it just seems like a recipe for image retention after the first day lol.

But of course. All types of workflow (programming, lots of work spreadsheet stuff and all the windows based daily life) excel in it.

What i always try to be mindful of is to shut it down if i will be absent for more than 5 minutes.

My screensaver trigger at 2 min, but after 30 min the PC shut it´s signal down and the TV start to show the framed pictures of artworks which is another method against I.R/Burn in.

Back
Top Bottom