Could have stopped a shoplifting? WWGDD?

Associate
Saw a guy the other day at self checkout, scan, bag, and contactless his card, then walk out. Auto piloted to his checkout, started to scan my stuff, till say payment declined, i went back into the queue. The employees didn't notice/were busy, then i told the security guard when i walked out, he wasn't that interested it seemed. Made a point that i wasn't sure if it was intended or not, but wouldn't have bothered if the guard wasn't near the exit as it was a supermarket, and liked mentioned not an independent store which would make me say something. Seems like a half decent way of buying enough time to walk out.

As for OP question, sure if it was obvious he was being chased, and i wasn't too tired to care, sure i'd of jumped him. But would depend on my mood and the shop. But impossible to really say unless you're in that situation tbf.

Soldato
if someone's mental enough to run out a shop with a basket full of shopping I won't be going near them

my local Morrisons has a security guard anyway so wouldn't have to worry either way :p

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Saw a guy the other day at self checkout, scan, bag, and contactless his card, then walk out. Auto piloted to his checkout, started to scan my stuff, till say payment declined, i went back into the queue. The employees didn't notice/were busy, then i told the security guard when i walked out, he wasn't that interested it seemed. Made a point that i wasn't sure if it was intended or not, but wouldn't have bothered if the guard wasn't near the exit as it was a supermarket, and liked mentioned not an independent store which would make me say something. Seems like a half decent way of buying enough time to walk out.

As for OP question, sure if it was obvious he was being chased, and i wasn't too tired to care, sure i'd of jumped him. But would depend on my mood and the shop. But impossible to really say unless you're in that situation tbf.
How could he get out of the self scan?
Are there not barriers that require you to scan the receipt in the UK?

Soldato
Not up in the Northeast UK they don't they release the footage to see if anyone can identify them then they put out a warrant for their arrest for shop lifting. :) Indeed there are priorities.

Yeah, not down here in London... Police are very slow to react to something small like shoplifting, it's a long way down the priorities.

Soldato
How could he get out of the self scan?
Are there not barriers that require you to scan the receipt in the UK?
Never heard of this. Recently every supermarket seems to be implementing cameras level with your face at the self service and a huge screen acting as a mirror. I don't quite see the point beyond saying "We're watching you!".

Soldato
What would you have done and why?

Nothing at all.
  1. It's none of my business.
  2. The supermarkets employee people specifically to do this, and I'm not one of them.
  3. Who helps you financially if said shoplifter pulls a knife/screwdriver and sticks you with it?
  4. What happens if said shoplifter bangs it's head when you trip them up and suffers a serious injury and/or dies? That's you ******!
  5. It's none of my business.

Associate
Sales staff are told not to tackle shoplifters and just let them go as its not worth the risk.
Stores also have a budget for unknown loss to take into account shoplifting.

Soldato
Sales staff are told not to tackle shoplifters and just let them go as its not worth the risk.
Stores also have a budget for unknown loss to take into account shoplifting.

Indeed, legend has it that The pilferage rate was actually used to monitor how attractively the goods were displayed.

Soldato
If he hasn't left the premises
Then surely technically he hasn't stolen anything
Would only be intent to steal perhaps.
Maybe he just had dementia or something
And then some have a go hero assaults him
That Would go down well
I don't think

Caporegime
Nothing at all.
  1. It's none of my business.
  2. The supermarkets employee people specifically to do this, and I'm not one of them.
  3. Who helps you financially if said shoplifter pulls a knife/screwdriver and sticks you with it?
  4. What happens if said shoplifter bangs it's head when you trip them up and suffers a serious injury and/or dies? That's you ******!
  5. It's none of my business.

This. It isn't worth it.

Back
Top Bottom