What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Terminator Dark Fate - 7/10

Grace was bad ass and some great, if not far fetched, set pieces - battle in the air was cool.

Arnie was awesome, buuuuuuuuuuuuut the way they explain his conscience was complete mugwump - he grew feelings?! WTF?! The reprogramming arc made more sense. I also didn't care for his quips and attempts at humour - we are meant to assume that he spent the last 20 years talking fabrics? GTFO.

Seeing the early trailers i was worried about the FX, but no need as there were some outstanding effects.

Last edited:
Soldato
@AndyCr15 That's two Denis Villeneuve movies in a row, nice one :) I assume you've seen Blade Runner 2049? He's pretty much my favourite director of the last few years. I can't wait for his Dune adapation.

Prisoners is worth checking out as well, it's a great film.

Arrival?!! 10/10 that one! So damn good.

The soundtrack is fantastic in Arrival, I'm a sucker for a film with a good soundtrack.

Caporegime
The Thing 2011 - 4.1/10

Almost as bad as Prometheus; a close-run thing.

Everything is low-effort and sloppy. It's painting by numbers and lazily drawing outside the lines. It's children acting out their favourite movie, clumsily.

It's a rehash and an imitation, posing as a prequel.

No effort is spared in sucking the life out of the source material, to render a shallow, hollow, waxwork copy of what was once a great film.

That's what it's like. Robots programmed to recreate a film. Beautiful looking, shiny, well-manicured but soulless robots. Beep boop, I am the female protagonist. Beep boop, I am the unethical lead scientist. Beep boop, the rest of us are extras lining up to be eaten; we are sad because we were given no personality chips or backgrounds.

I laughed like an idiot when, after the death of one crew member, the conversation went something like:

"He's dead! He had children!"
"Yes, it is very sad. This is a tragic event."

Telling your audience that the event is tragic, because you failed to make it so, via any connection to the characters.

An awful film, in case I've left room for any doubt.

Soldato
The Thing 2011 - 4.1/10

Almost as bad as Prometheus; a close-run thing.

Everything is low-effort and sloppy. It's painting by numbers and lazily drawing outside the lines. It's children acting out their favourite movie, clumsily.

It's a rehash and an imitation, posing as a prequel.

No effort is spared in sucking the life out of the source material, to render a shallow, hollow, waxwork copy of what was once a great film.

That's what it's like. Robots programmed to recreate a film. Beautiful looking, shiny, well-manicured but soulless robots. Beep boop, I am the female protagonist. Beep boop, I am the unethical lead scientist. Beep boop, the rest of us are extras lining up to be eaten; we are sad because we were given no personality chips or backgrounds.

I laughed like an idiot when, after the death of one crew member, the conversation went something like:

"He's dead! He had children!"
"Yes, it is very sad. This is a tragic event."

Telling your audience that the event is tragic, because you failed to make it so, via any connection to the characters.

An awful film, in case I've left room for any doubt.

I think that's a little harsh. Not a patch on the original and a little on the pointless side it may be, but it certainly wasn't awful. Probably a 6/10 for me.

Soldato
The Sisters Brothers - 7/10. Cowboy movie with John C. Reilly, Joaquin Phoenix, Jake Gyllenhaal. I like all these actors and cowboy movies - good stuff!

Caporegime
I think that's a little harsh. Not a patch on the original and a little on the pointless side it may be, but it certainly wasn't awful. Probably a 6/10 for me.
I don't think so.

One of my bugbears is how little character development some of these modern films give us.

In Carpenter's The Thing, the characters are memorable, and although we might not spend a huge amount of screen time with some of them, we get a good impression of each of their personalities. Their mannerisms, their speech, their attitudes.

And it's natural and organic.

In 2011 The Things, I observed several problems. For one, half of the crew might as well be extras. No time is spent establishing what they do, who they are (beyond "I'm Paul, nice to meet you."). They all pretty much act the same. Apart from two or three of the crew the rest just stand around waiting for something to do. Most have no personality traits at all. They are literally the definition of cardboard cut-outs, because they are given nothing to show the audience of their characters.

And you start losing these "red shirts" (to use a ST term) mere minutes after the film starts. There's no set-up, no suspence, no engagement with the characters.

The film's "plot" is accurately summarised like this: "We watch as 2 central characters and ~10-15 extras are killed off by a CGI monster in a little over an hour. We don't know who they are, what they do, or why we should care."

It's a typical modern low-effort film.

Man of Honour

I actually quite enjoyed it, particularly the way it ended with a scene which tied in almost to the second with the first scene of the John Carpenter remake. Then again, the John Carpenter remake of The Thing is one of my all time favourite films (hence the signature :) )

Caporegime
Rampage

You have to wonder how anyone managed to persuade risk adverse Hollywood money men to throw money behind this B-movie garbage based on, of all things, an 80s arcade game. The Rock is an ex-special forces, all heart, gorilla keeper. Gorillas speak perfect sign language, and CRISPR from space makes giant monsters. It's total trash, and yet...

The CGI is good, the characters have heart, and the direction is on point. It's solidly so bad that it's good, switch off and enjoy the show, entertainment.

Have a beer or two first 6/10

Associate
Bad Boys For Life (2020) - 7/10

An enjoyable action film that really plays to the characters and lead actors strengths. The story isn’t anything special and it takes a while to get going, but there’s plenty of funny humour and the action scenes are exciting and well put together.

The film accepts that times have changed and the leads have grown older and uses this to great effect, although Miami (and its women) are shown to be as glamorous as ever. The supporting cast are ok, although most aren’t used much, and although Will Smith doesn’t quite pull off the emotional gravitas the finale requires, it’s a fun and enjoyable film.

Soldato
Bad Boys For Life (2020) - 7/10

An enjoyable action film that really plays to the characters and lead actors strengths. The story isn’t anything special and it takes a while to get going, but there’s plenty of funny humour and the action scenes are exciting and well put together.

The film accepts that times have changed and the leads have grown older and uses this to great effect, although Miami (and its women) are shown to be as glamorous as ever. The supporting cast are ok, although most aren’t used much, and although Will Smith doesn’t quite pull off the emotional gravitas the finale requires, it’s a fun and enjoyable film.

1 and 2 are two of my favourite films, so really looking forward to seeing this on Thursday. Your right up gives me hope :)

Soldato
Ad Astra - 6/10. Great effects and beautiful scenery, but not much of a story and Tommy Lee Jones was woefully underused.

BrightBurn - 6.5/10. Interesting premise and some graphic and tense moments - the end, eek!!

Back
Top Bottom