Promotion dilemma - not sure if I want it ?

Soldato
Ive been offered a far more senior role in my office that I’m really not sure I want to take ? I’m happy running my department and at my age I seriously thought I was the plateau guy who was happy with his salary and quality of life around work . I’m well respected in the office and offer solutions across all aspects of the business . I have no real ambition for promotion .

I also let a few flats out and everything seems to work well around my current hours . The job would come with more money and a car but another 45 to 90 minutes on my day travelling .

The problem is no one else in the office is any where near up-to doing the job and if we recruit from outside I dread to think who I would end up with - he or she would then be my direct boss . This could potentially just be a pen pusher or someone with zero operations expertise of my industry and god knows where we could all end up .

Progressing forward , if I don’t take it , I feel maybe the position will need help from myself ( yes happy to do this ) but only for a certain amount of time .

My boss though I believe is fully expecting me to take on the role and I’m really not sure how to go about letting him down or getting him to let me evolve someone else into the role .

He really needs to make me an offer I can’t refuse in this situation , the extra money he has mentioned is very low ball as well .

Odd situation .

Man of Honour
You are in quite a strong position so make the most of it. How much is it worth to you? Identify that figure and negotiate around that. If you get it, great - a bigger package and greater control over your working situation. If not, nothing lost relative to taking the decision to stay where you are. If you can’t reach a reasonable figure that would make it worth it, don’t go for it. What is the skills market like in your field? If there is a shortage of qualified candidates your boss will be taking on additional risk by going external. Also an additional curveball, maybe he lowballed you because he wants to recruit externally?

I was in your position last year. My immediate manager’s position became vacant and I was the only qualified internal candidate. I didn’t want the job because it was a whole lot more hassle for not much more compensation but I went for it because I was concerned about an external unknown coming in and shaking things up. I realised in the interview that I truly didn’t want the job. I’m glad I didn’t press on. The external joiner was perfectly capable and decent, and I get to go home at a decent hour to spend more time with my kids.

Soldato
OP
You are in quite a strong position so make the most of it. How much is it worth to you? Identify that figure and negotiate around that. If you get it, great - a bigger package and greater control over your working situation. If not, nothing lost relative to taking the decision to stay where you are. If you can’t reach a reasonable figure that would make it worth it, don’t go for it. What is the skills market like in your field? If there is a shortage of qualified candidates your boss will be taking on additional risk by going external. Also an additional curveball, maybe he lowballed you because he wants to recruit externally?

I was in your position last year. My immediate manager’s position became vacant and I was the only qualified internal candidate. I didn’t want the job because it was a whole lot more hassle for not much more compensation but I went for it because I was concerned about an external unknown coming in and shaking things up. I realised in the interview that I truly didn’t want the job. I’m glad I didn’t press on. The external joiner was perfectly capable and decent, and I get to go home at a decent hour to spend more time with my kids.

Scuzi , thanks ever so for the reply , you really have understood my dilemma .

Not sure about the low ball though , he had just commuted a bonus scheme all into salary so Im already quite a few thousand a year better off than I was in November . This will sound awful to most but it would need to be circa 15K in total to make my ears ***** up ( recent pay rise , keep the car and remunerate for new position ) sounds greedy but if I’m hands off my buy to let’s then I’m going to have to foot the bill for other to come in and manage it .

I’ve no worries about an external coming in to the position I’m way to old for jostling for company power plays or puffing up my chest , I genuinely care about the office productivity and where it will go .

Prefer not to say what line of work I’m in but it a global service industry in Operations.

Think I’m going down the lines of no with an assisting the new GM but I just can’t see it being me .

bJN

bJN

Soldato
There's nothing wrong with turning down an opportunity, you have to do what's best for you. If you feel the role would require better remuneration to get you into it, then have that discussion. The output will either be meeting the pay expectations or not. You need to be very honest with yourself if you would do the job for the increase you're asking for, and not just a number plucked out of thin air as an excuse to not apply. At any point during recruitment processes you have the option to withdraw - there is nothing wrong with this and it even acts as a kickstarter for follow-on conversations internally; why you no longer want the job, what can be done to keep your interests, what can the company do to help etc.

Presumably this role also has a reporting like above it, perhaps have a discussion at that level of what your and their expectations would be in either scenario - you in the position or an external candidate.

With regards to "helping" a new start, I would always advocate getting something in writing for expected timelines. We had a manpower change where I work currently a couple of years ago with the expectation everyone would more than pull their weight to support their (new) managers; the people I work directly with spent a great deal of time and effort in getting this new chap up to speed only for him to move on within a year because he just didn't get on well - we're now doing the exact same with his replacement but everything has been formalised as a result of the previous attempt. Hence, we have a set timeline for this person to be caught up and if it takes longer than that, that's a problem for upper management and not people trying to carry out their own day-to-day duties.

Soldato
Totally understand the dilemma. The grass isn't always greener. I inherited my old boss' job for a short period before I moved jobs. I actually left for a job elsewhere with better pay and less management responsibilities as I prefer staying technical. Should have gone contracting tbh but permie opportunities always came to me at the right time so...
Looking on the bright side, the person you get in could be really good. Perhaps you would have an opportunity to help with the recruitment as well?

But then if you do that, will you look back in a couple of years and think...that could be me and you would have done things differently (better)?

Soldato
OP
Go
Totally understand the dilemma. The grass isn't always greener. I inherited my old boss' job for a short period before I moved jobs. I actually left for a job elsewhere with better pay and less management responsibilities as I prefer staying technical. Should have gone contracting tbh but permie opportunities always came to me at the right time so...
Looking on the bright side, the person you get in could be really good. Perhaps you would have an opportunity to help with the recruitment as well?

But then if you do that, will you look back in a couple of years and think...that could be me and you would have done things differently (better)?

Thanks Jaybee , great point . This is half the trouble , to be honest like I said in have no ambition for the position to and was originally thinking of accepting out of loyalty to a company that been fair with me over the last 16 years.

The issue for me is my own personal time line , I’ve just turned 50 and was aiming at winding down in 5 years time I get to take 25% tax free of my pension before another government changes and that clears the mortgage - blah blah blah . Take a job as postie or something.

I’m my mind I’m not going to take the position but just want to be clear how I go about telling my boss and what plan I can formulate to assist .

You guys have helped - appreciate it .

Man of Honour
If that's your timeline I wouldn't spend the next 5 years doing longer commuting, with more stress if your plan is to then switch to something totally different and just cruise until you decide you want to retire.
It sounds like the sort of job someone younger would go for to get the experience and build on it, but like I said if you're planning on binning it off in 5ish years anyway and you're happy with your current role and package then leave well alone.

Soldato
There are 4 possible outcomes and you just have to put them in order to work out what you want to do.

1 & 2 are the positives. You take the job and it goes great and you can juggle everything happily. Or you don't take the job and the new person that comes in is great to work with and you can carry on as you are.

The problem is the other two outcomes and which one is worse for your 5 years going forward. You take the job and its as bad as you fear with the increased responsibility and the impact of added hours on your home life and other interests or the new man comes in and is a nightmare to work with.

For a five year fixed period Id probably rather have the problem of the new man being a nightmare while having reasonable home life and other interests intact over taking the job and it being as bad as it could be and impacting on your entire life.

Back
Top Bottom