What's the best alternative to Google Audio Chromecast ?

Associate
I must admit, I am not very aware of what Google Audio Chromecast did, however, from reading a few things online I gather that it was a device that you could send audio to that would then send it to a speaker through a 3.5mm headphone jack? If that's the case then I would recommend a Bluetooth alternative such as this from amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avantree-B...s-Headphones/dp/B01N5KKUR0?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

Associate
OP
Really? Says who? I'd be most upset if this is the case :(

Bluetooth quality is terrible, it's not the same as Chromecast.

I was interested to know if bluetooth was the same quality thanks. Yes they're not made any more one sold on ebay for £220 !

Chromecast are made just not the Chromecast Audio.

Soldato
I just found an article. Honestly with Google continually screwing over GSuite users with regards to the Home setup, and other functionality, and now this, I'm honestly thinking of ditching their whole eco system :mad:

I have my CCA plugged into my amp via the optical out which means my amp handles the DAC, which means I'm not reliant on a terrible DAC on my phone or the one on the CCA. This is hands down thebest for audio quality, what the heck am I going to use? No way I'm using BT.

Soldato
Just get Amazon something. You won't need it to play from your phone, you just ask it for radio, "Alex, play Radio 2" and it will do it.

Bluetooth quality is terrible, it's not the same as Chromecast.

Just play it without the Bluetooth then as above.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/supported-devices/voice-device

"Yes, you can play all of our live and on-demand content on Amazon Alexa and on Apple HomePod via AirPlay. Live stations and podcasts on Google Home can be played by casting from the BBC Sounds app. We're also working on supporting even more devices."

Soldato
Just play it without the Bluetooth then as above.
How do you mean? Via 3.5mm jack? So you "cast" to the Alexa which plays the audio via the 3.5mm jack to your amp? That's better but you're still relying on the Alexa to do the DAC rather than your amp. So the quality won't be as good.

Google Home Mini.
Are people suggesting devices like Alexa and GH not realising a Chromecast Audio is for plugging into a superior audio device such as a standalone amp? A GH Mini isn't going to cut the mustard!

Associate
Another expensive (but not £900) alternative...

I was in a similar position, I had a Rotel RA-1060 amp and ended up consolidating that, a hifi bluetooth box, and Google cast stuff by getting a NAD C338. Does everything I need in one box. I love it, probably as much as @McGray loves that Marantz.

I got it for €380 unused open-boxed from a shop. I'd never go back to Bluetooth regardless of quality, it's a clunky way of streaming music when you do it from a phone for the most part.

Soldato
How do you mean? Via 3.5mm jack? So you "cast" to the Alexa which plays the audio via the 3.5mm jack to your amp? That's better but you're still relying on the Alexa to do the DAC rather than your amp. So the quality won't be as good.

Are people suggesting devices like Alexa and GH not realising a Chromecast Audio is for plugging into a superior audio device such as a standalone amp? A GH Mini isn't going to cut the mustard!

It's the radio, it's always mediocre quality anyway.

Connect Alexa to the speakers via the 3.5 mm jack, connect Alexa to your wifi, ask Alexa to play Radio 2. Done.

Your phone isn't involved in this situation.

Soldato
streaming radio, is having top quality really much of an issue in this case? :)
No to be fair. But I'm extrapolating the situation as it's my main way to play music (GPM > CCA > Amplifier)

Connect Alexa to the speakers via the 3.5 mm jack, connect Alexa to your wifi, ask Alexa to play Radio 2. Done.
Yeah that's fine but like I said it's a drop in quality. Who knows if it'll be noticeable or not but still, the points stands.

Back
Top Bottom