Chirping noise coming from PSU

Associate
Hello,

As per the title of this post, in my new built pc i hear a chirping noise and it comes from the psu, only when something heavy is running like CB or a game.

When idle there is no chirping but i take it its because also the fan is stopped as not much wattage is used.

It even gave a smaller chirping noise when i was just scrolling down a webpage.

Is it something i should worry about and possibly need to RMA the psu? It was bought last year but it should still have years of warranty.

As i haven't built a new pc since 2008 i thought it would be normal as previous pc didn't have many fans and didn't know what to expect. This one has a few fans, 3 from the case, 2 from the aio, 6 from the gpus although they rarely run, and the the x570 chipset one, but i got a bit worried and also it drives me mad hurts my ears as its high pitched.

My spec

3950x
Aorus Master x570
Coolermaster c700p
Corsair HX1000
2x Vega 56 Nitro
nvme ssd + 1 hdd
2x16gb trident z neo

Any help would be appreciated

Permabanned
Sounds like coil whine, make sure it is the PSU not GPU as I would have thought loading web-page would not cause the PSU to load much but the GPU may enter a higher 2D Mode esp if a video on the site like YouTube so could be PSU.

Associate
OP
I will do some tests on the holidays. I will unplug each gpu and try with one at a time and see if i get it.

what can i do if it is either gpu or psu is it rma able?

Soldato
If you can find one you could use any kind longer tube to better locate part making the sound.
Just by listening without any extra devices higher frequencies can be very hard to position.
Once spent 10-15 minutes trying to find mosquito in bedroom without seeing any of it, until walking to other end of room and finding it instantly. ;)

Associate
OP
I did a test recorded the back of the gpus and then the back of the psu while running assassins creed Origins. One vega was running the other asleep and the corsair fan was also off and the chirping is definitelly coming from the psu.

Does it matter if it should be single or multiple the switch of the 12v on the corsair? I think it was multiple from the box and left it as is

Associate
OP
You got a budgie trapped in there !!!!

Sometimes enabling vsync reduces it,and disabling c states in the bios
I will give that a try, with xmas preparations I didn't have time to play much with the pc yet. Although i might RMA it its high pitched and annoying. Makes me think I either was lucky with my 625 enermax for the past 11 years or that was a damn good psu.

Associate
OP
I started the process to rma, never done before and I am abit annoyed because I have to tear the whole thing apart and send everything back to be tested first which means no pc for me for a while unless I plug the old psu.

I just hope its not the house electrics, its a brand newly developed home but worried if they cheaped out on materials. Just my enermax on my old pc wasn't chirping and it was running the vega...

Associate
OP
I was planning to send it back this week, although I am not very sure if i am not wasting my time.

They said could take 28 days, and also said that they don't concider coil whine (if thats what it is) an issue. So might be sending it for no reason.

Also they said on the phone that its normal to be more noisy on the higher wattage psu's as they get more current in. I just find it very irritating.. Hmm do i send it or not I wonder.

Associate
OP
So update and sorry to bump this back, just need your thoughts.

The psu went back to the company i bought it, and lo and behold their answer is the psu is working fine and want to send it back to me as is..

On my end it was noisy on gaming and just benchmarking the cpu.

I put my old enermax 625w bronze and same tests, no noise. Do i just try or is it even possible to RMA with corsair instead now? I cannot believe a platinum psu that costs 3 times more than my yesteryear bronze psu is like that.

Back
Top Bottom