Could have stopped a shoplifting? WWGDD?

Soldato
My brother is a security guard for a shopping mall. He's licensed and insured. The stores are insured against theft. Sure you can be a have a go hero, but as @G-MAN2004 says, it's not worth it these days. Especially if you end up injured or inflicting injury on someone else in the process. Brother barely makes minimum wage protecting tax avoiding companies and their owners from theft, not sure why anyone would want to do it for free?

Broken window theory, if people just stand by and allow small time crime to go ahead unchallenged then it creates an environment that isn't hostile to criminals, which in turn leads to a crime ridden society. I'm not saying you should put yourself at risk tackling a robber, but everyone should do what they're capable of to stop crime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

Associate
Had you tripped him he probably would have moaned for 30mins until an Ambulance took him out in a neck brace. Next up is you in Court for causing injury.

Just think how easy it would be to fall and fake, And how much hassle you would be in with lawyers, Courts and ofc the money money money. Plenty of people have made the mistake personally i would just watch it play out.

A drama of social inequality, Man versus Morrisons.
Not really inequality. Most of the cases, at least in Cambridge, are stoners "sponsored" by government handouts, stealing booze.
Apparently the dole isn't enough for the last iPhone, Sky (all bundles), Xbox, booze and weed. Not surprised when see the heating at full blast and the vermin smoking at the window or door, wide open.

Permabanned
Broken window theory, if people just stand by and allow small time crime to go ahead unchallenged then it creates an environment that isn't hostile to criminals, which in turn leads to a crime ridden society. I'm not saying you should put yourself at risk tackling a robber, but everyone should do what they're capable of to stop crime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

Unless they pay me to act as a police officer, I'm not planning on acting like one nor taking the risks of one. I didn't cut their numbers. And I'm not going to take the blame for their numbers being cut or the downfall of law and order because of it either.

Soldato
Unless they pay me to act as a police officer, I'm not planning on acting like one nor taking the risks of one. I didn't cut their numbers. And I'm not going to take the blame for their numbers being cut or the downfall of law and order because of it either.

If you were mugged in a busy area with people just watching, you'd be annoyed no-one did a thing to help though, no?

Permabanned
If you were mugged in a busy area with people just watching, you'd be annoyed no-one did a thing to help though, no?

Of course I'd be annoyed. Doesn't change anything about the situation though. I wouldn't expect anyone else to jump in and help me especially if it was aggravated theft. That's how you end up with a screwdriver in your head.

Soldato

I believe everyone is personally responsible for making our society a better place, there's no amount of funding that can be put in place that will put a Police officer at the scene of every crime. Like I said though I wouldn't expect my mother or grandma to tackle a criminal, it's just about doing what you're capable of and what you feel safe doing. I might grab a teenage lad shop lifting, I'm less likely to get into a potential scrap with a large bloke over a bottle of booze.

Soldato
Reminds me of a time when I as out walking in a reasonably busy shopping area. Saw a bit of a fuss ahead of me and someone running towards me. From a quick survey of the scene it was apparent that the person running toward me had just snatched a bag from some old lady. As he was running pretty much straight towards me I had a couple of seconds to work out what, if anything, I was going to do about it. There wasn't a lot of time to consider the pros and cons of whether he might be armed or anything and a trip or shoulder charge would easily put him on the ground.

Just as it reached the point where I was going to have to act he started to slow right up and stop and there was a moment of complete confusion on my part before I realised they were filming a reconstruction and I'd been a split second away from flattening an innocent actor.

Associate
What if he had paid and just chose not to use bags...maybe the basket was just being used to take the stuff to his car. He's innocent all along I tells ya.

Soldato
I was driving home around 1am once and as I came around a corner into a little village called Baldwin's gate I spotted a white land rover in the middle of the road. I saw one lad dash off and another hung around the back. I parked up, jumped out and ask if he was ok as he walked around the other side of the vehicle. "He said he'd broken down and was pushing it off the road".

Thing was, I knew it belonged on the driveway opposite and as soon as I questioned that he ran off.

Upon getting the owner out of bed it turned out that it was a proper off-roading vehicle and there was a massive axe attached to the drivers side of the land rover where the thief had been standing.

Worries you a little looking back but i don't think it would stop me in a situation like that.

Shoplifting though, depends on the person doing it. Kids etc you'd step in, if it's some rough smackhead looking fella it's not worth it.

I remember as a kid my mum tackling a bloke to the ground in Toys'R'Us and sitting on him while security came running over. She's spotted him with a handbag and was going through it. She's 5'3' and a prison officer at a male prison :D

Soldato
As a student I used to work at a local Currys and had all sorts of scrotes shoplifting that we had to confront. Would I do it at a place I didn't work for? Unlikely, unless he was already being chased by security and it was just a case of slowing them down for a second.

Soldato
Shoplifting though, depends on the person doing it. Kids etc you'd step in, if it's some rough smackhead looking fella it's not worth it.
Problem is that it's hard to judge someone in a split-second. And also, the kids are probably more likely to give you a stabbing for the sake of it :(

Funnily enough I did my part to stop a shoplifter at Superdrug last weekend. There was this big, slightly trampy looking guy who pushed past us by the men's shower gels etc. As we walked to cashier he pushed past us again at which point we were just annoyed with him being so rude. He pushed past us to where the queue area was and on the inside of that area (where they funnel you into a queue with shelving) were the men's razors. By this point I was watching him just because he was being annoying, pushing past etc. Just being rude. But after grabbing a set of razors, rather than continuing onto a till he promptly walked to the back of the store which I thought was odd. Fortunately from where we were now queueing I could see him just standing by the men's stuff exactly where he was before and it just seemed odd. As soon as he'd picked up the razors he moved quickly, not like someone mooching around a shop or whatever. It was just strange. By now I was watching him as we queued and I said to my other half that if he goes to walk straight out he's definitely nicking those razors. What do you know, he did. As he was on his way out I was now at the till so I said to the guy I'm sure that guy is nicking some razors. He actually went out after him.

After a couple of minutes he came back, said he asked the guy and the guy just denied it so he walked off lol. However he got his manager and to be fair in the space of about 3-4mins they'd rewound the CCTV, saw that he had pulled the tag off (when he went to the back of the store), found said abandoned tag, and set the shopping mall security guys off after him. No idea what happened, I doubt they caught up with him but you have to do your part (without putting yourself in danger :p). Credit to the guy on the till who went after him, I wonder if they're supposed to or not? :confused:

EDIT:
What a bunch of wimps here.
I'm sure you're joking but why put yourself in danger to save small change for a massive corporation? It's just not worth it. They have insurance, it won't even be a blip on their radar.

Back
Top Bottom