Steam account recovery - asking for a friend...

Soldato
OP
Just thinking, when I built a new PC I’d managed to lose all of the details for my Uplay account and had it linked to a google authenticator on an old phone I no longer had...

I set up a ‘I’m a nob and locked my account’ enquiry and some bloke on live chat was able to sort it for me straight away!

Considering Steam is a much bigger platform, I’m surprised the only option here is to send a report and wait what appears to be weeks.

Soldato
I guess the much bigger platform is why
When you have however many millions of users the support staff are going to much busier
Though would expect hacked/stolen /given away. Accounts to be a bit more prioritized

Soldato
My friend got his account back in 17 hours from emailing support with transaction details and the time/link to where he stupidly put in his main accounts details testing a link for someone on here.

Fingers crossed your friend will have a quick turnaround as well.

Friends are idiots at times ey :(.

Soldato
Gah that sucks! I'd be lost without my Steam account. Is it possible to view your profile to see if he's messed with your skins etc, or did you have it set to private?

Soldato
@Chris [BEANS] Your friend must be getting old.

I remember back in the day, one would never fall for such shenanigans and anyone falling for such things would be openly flogged on this forum, nowadays, everyone is older and such things are met with shoulder shrugs of "glad is not me"... "Now where did I put my Bovril".

Steam support has improved over the years.

Not saying it is now great but it was universally agreed to be that Steam support was the drizzles.

I think it got that bad that a few years ago they pledged to do better. I have had no need to use support other than refund requests and they are timely.

Has your friend had any reply from Valve yet?

Last edited:
Associate
I hope your friend gets his steam account back. this sort of thing must happen all the time as these guys are constantly trying to find ways to fleece people - its difficult not to get caught every now and then. hence it is worth you informing us what to do and how long it takes to get your account back as eventually it could even happen to me.

Associate
when my son starting playing my steam games I started up another account. so now I have some games on one account and the rest on the other. perhaps that may be a plan to split your loses in future?

Soldato
So, let's assume someone's a right idiot and follows a link that looks legit, attempts to link their steam account, and even responds to a request for the steamguard code which results in a Russian IP removing SteamGuard and changing the e-mail and password associated to your Steam account...

How long might it take to get that account recovered?

I've done the, erm, I mean my friend's done the 'report my account stolen' thing and is wondering about a turnaround time?

Ta

Oh Beansy…..this explains why I got a spam message from you through the Steam chat about claiming my free PUBG skins!!

Associate
Hey Beans, you don't know me but I'm a prince from Nigeria and I'm trying to transfer £100 gazillion but for some reason I need to go through another account to complete the transfer. If you give me your account details I'll give you £50 gazillion for your help.
Just send your bank details to [email protected].

Back
Top Bottom