• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Like you I am into single player experiences. Done HZD, playing Spider-Man now and next up is God of War :D

Got Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Resident Evil 3 Remake on pre-order. After that I will get Last of Us 2 ;)

Yea those 3 games are on my list and played the other 3 as well. I really can't wait for FF7 remake. I hope it's really good as the original FF7 is one of my all time favourites.

Soldato
I agree with this, everyone is forgetting about how much bigger the new case is. I think the it will consume more power than any previous console. Digital Foundry reckons it will use 300W!!

This picture sums it up really, there isn't really a whole lot of reasons to make a box that big unless it's related to power and heat.

Soldato
yes it's a draft box from the dimensions of the announcement

Why so big?

surely they could make something more appealing aesthetically? It looks like mini fridge.

I don't get the arguments it needs to be bigger to cope with heat, I have seen people with much smaller cases with 2080ti inside them. If we the enthusiast community can do it surely a multi billion company could?

Soldato
Why so big?

surely they could make something more appealing aesthetically? It looks like mini fridge.

I don't get the arguments it needs to be bigger to cope with heat, I have seen people with much smaller cases with 2080ti inside them. If we the enthusiast community can do it surely a multi billion company could?

it's intended to stand up right then it looks smaller

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm expecting so, esp if we get some leaks about 3080 being quicker than the 2080Ti.
If the tiers are the same then then even the 3070 should be able to. What is the difference in performance of a 2070S and 2080Ti? Not that much from memory. So if they cannot provide 2080Ti performance in the form of a 3070 using much smaller manufacturing process and new architecture it will be a fail. At that point I might as well not bother and stick with a PS5 until StarCitizen comes out (assuming it ever does).

Soldato
If the tiers are the same then then even the 3070 should be able to. What is the difference in performance of a 2070S and 2080Ti? Not that much from memory. So if they cannot provide 2080Ti performance in the form of a 3070 using much smaller manufacturing process and new architecture it will be a fail. At that point I might as well not bother and stick with a PS5 until StarCitizen comes out (assuming it ever does).

if the tiers are the same the 3070 will be the third largest chip - I doubt it’ll be 2080ti performance

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
because of maintaining profit margins per performance, that is clearly Nvidia's strategy i.e. to deliver less and charge more (at least to the consumer whether you want to argue supply or not)
Yeah I can see that, but they are not like Intel and will want to stay ahead of AMD. We are talking about a 30-35% boost in performance, nothing major. They can easily achieve that without breaking a sweat due to jumping to 7nm+ and also a new architecture.

People were underwhelmed with the 2000 series, I really don’t think Nvidia will want to make that mistake this time around, especially when the next gen consoles will be released in the same year.

Permabanned
I am not going to get excited. I got excited for the launch of RTX and was bitterly disappointed when I saw the prices. ( Mind you I still bought two for my PC's, just lower spec than I would have had they been reasonable prices. ). Well, provided NVIDIA are reasonable with the prices then I will get one. But I am not excited. OK, I am a little bit excited.

Caporegime
I am not going to get excited. I got excited for the launch of RTX and was bitterly disappointed when I saw the prices. ( Mind you I still bought two for my PC's, just lower spec than I would have had they been reasonable prices. ). Well, provided NVIDIA are reasonable with the prices then I will get one. But I am not excited. OK, I am a little bit excited.
Welcome to my world(view).

Whatever we expect from a new nV GPU, they will deliver less and charge much, much more.

Sadly now also applies to AMD (GPUs) in their new "Premium-mode" guise.

Back
Top Bottom