PC purchased - did I make a mistake?

Associate
OP
Just ordered this - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...le-widescreen-led-gaming-monit-mo-155-lg.html

And that's me actually done now I think...hopefully get the monitor by end of next week so can properly try it all out then!

Although this weekend will be me stress testing it on my old monitor because no point kidding myself I'm going to leave it in the box for another week! :)

The only thing I'm not replacing is the mouse - my trusty Deathadder is as good as it was nearly 8 years ago! Only thing I refreshed was the keyboard but as I'll only buy another Deathadder I thought I'd say £40 ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's here...

Have some work to do so need to make sure that's done and all my files are transferred over from this PC but hopefully give it a go later.

Super frustrated though - courier left it on the doorstep! I was in the house and rather than knock they just left it there...Imagine if someone had took it...

It's nice and clean though!

https://imgur.com/a/irZgrJJ

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd be tempted to put in a complaint about that personally, it's a lot of cash to just be left on a doorstep.

Looks great though!

Have sent an email to the courier.

Absolutely insane that they can do that. Seems to be common though

Happened last time I ordered something but that was just trainers. Imagine if this had gone missing!

Soldato

Happened last time I ordered something but that was just trainers. Imagine if this had gone missing!

They can be pretty terrible alright.

I once had a guy toss a parcel over my neighbors six foot garden gate while they were on holiday and it was in the middle of a snowstorm. I didn't find out until months later when the snow had cleared and they'd returned home, it was a soundcard and completely non-functional after its time in the wilds of my neighbors garden. When I put in a complaint I was told that it had been left in a 'designated safe space' and that there was nothing that could be done about it. I did get back to the store (which happens to be OCUK funnily enough) when I found out what had happened and they were kind enough to issue a refund.

I refused to use DPD for years after that.

Associate
OP
Good on you for being honest, there are plenty who would have stated they never got it - as you didn't sign for it and then get a refund.

That's what I couldn't understand. Must be major hassle for the courier if people do that?

Note to anyone getting a PC built - if you don't get Windows it doesn't come with Windows ;)

Sounds obvious now, but I thought it would come pre-loaded, I'd just have to activate. Turns out that's not the case :D

Associate
A coupke
That's what I couldn't understand. Must be major hassle for the courier if people do that?

Note to anyone getting a PC built - if you don't get Windows it doesn't come with Windows ;)

Sounds obvious now, but I thought it would come pre-loaded, I'd just have to activate. Turns out that's not the case :D
A couple of quid from an online auction site will sort you with a key. You can then download it from the Microsoft website and create a USB drive there to make it easy to install.

Associate
OP
Having a few issues.

XSplit has frozen a few times already. Computer sounds like it's working overtime constantly - perhaps that's just part of the build/case but xsplit shouldn't be locking up on this rig surely!

This is before I'm even streaming, just trying to set up etc

It's basically when I add a video to run in one of the scenes. Old computer handled it fine...now it's freezing any time I add it to the scene! Frustrating

Soldato
It could be a software related problem.

Are you fully updated, checked for updates on Windows, running the latest drivers etc?

I'd also consider updating to the latest mobo bios if you're not already on it.

Associate
OP
It could be a software related problem.

Are you fully updated, checked for updates on Windows, running the latest drivers etc?

I'd also consider updating to the latest mobo bios if you're not already on it.

I'll check Gigabyte's site for mobo update. That's a good point.

Will triple check all the updates too.

Soldato
Worked through the app in the end. Still bloody crashes though! No idea why.

Seems like a good time to permanently move to OBS and forget xSplit. Even though I've used it for 3 years

Ouch.

Is it literally just happening through that one application?

Unfortunate, but if you've got alternatives that's great.

Associate
OP
Ouch.

Is it literally just happening through that one application?

Unfortunate, but if you've got alternatives that's great.

Seems to be. I haven't had time to download any games to test at the moment.

Not sure how else to best test the system. maybe I'll render a video or something soon.

Associate
Just ordered this - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-2...le-widescreen-led-gaming-monit-mo-155-lg.html

And that's me actually done now I think...hopefully get the monitor by end of next week so can properly try it all out then!

Although this weekend will be me stress testing it on my old monitor because no point kidding myself I'm going to leave it in the box for another week! :)

The only thing I'm not replacing is the mouse - my trusty Deathadder is as good as it was nearly 8 years ago! Only thing I refreshed was the keyboard but as I'll only buy another Deathadder I thought I'd say £40 ;)
if you change your mouse sometimes the new one takes a little getting used to. I stick with my current one until it doesn't work anymore (or I find an offer and are tempted to splash cash which is burning a hole in my pocket).

it does seem to be common as it happened to me recently despite a doorbell being within reach.

It's here...

Have some work to do so need to make sure that's done and all my files are transferred over from this PC but hopefully give it a go later.

Super frustrated though - courier left it on the doorstep! I was in the house and rather than knock they just left it there...Imagine if someone had took it...

It's nice and clean though!

https://imgur.com/a/irZgrJJ
nice looking build. you got a good spec - them components should keep you going for at least 8yrs. probably the first thing that might need replacing is the PSU (after say 9yrs if you notice it losing power), however its good to see that you got a platinum and an EVGA (they tend to be made by superflower and have 7 yr warranty's).

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
nice looking build. you got a good spec - them components should keep you going for at least 8yrs. probably the first thing that might need replacing is the PSU (after say 9yrs if you notice it losing power), however its good to see that you got a platinum and an EVGA (they tend to be made by superflower and have 7 yr warranty's).

I'm pretty happy with it so far!

Just waiting for my new monitor to arrive and then we'll really get it working. Need to actually play a game or something on PC to truly test it.

It's encouraging though - had issues streaming from PS4 on old setup - CoD would just lag loads in OBS window, even before I tried to stream it. Just hooked up the Elgato and took it for a test playing FIFA on PS4 and it handled it fine (to be expected I guess).

Only issue now is how much will my internet connection bottle neck me. The joys of not living in the city!

Associate
OP
Just wanted to come back on this to say thanks again to everyone that helped me with the input on this build.

Very happy with it! still not tried many games but I'm sure it's just fine.

New 3 screen setup is really helping productivity and I don't know why I didn't get a 1440p screen earlier! Being able to see more tracks etc when video editing is really helpful.

Videos render quicker than their length (they're pretty basic), Vegas doesn't crash on me and I can do other things while a video is rendering too.

It's excellent!

Really gotten used to the new keyboard as well. Whole setup looks really nice and when I can work out how to put up a picture without a link I'll show you ;)

Soldato
Just wanted to come back on this to say thanks again to everyone that helped me with the input on this build.

Very happy with it! still not tried many games but I'm sure it's just fine.

New 3 screen setup is really helping productivity and I don't know why I didn't get a 1440p screen earlier! Being able to see more tracks etc when video editing is really helpful.

Videos render quicker than their length (they're pretty basic), Vegas doesn't crash on me and I can do other things while a video is rendering too.

It's excellent!

Really gotten used to the new keyboard as well. Whole setup looks really nice and when I can work out how to put up a picture without a link I'll show you ;)

snaps shots or it never happened ;)

Back
Top Bottom