Imperfect timing!

Soldato
Caporegime
It'd be ok, if the prices are reasonable. It's nearly the same amount of time to fly and 1/5th of the cost (it's longer due to getting to the airport etc). But then if you don't live in London, you have to get to St.Pancras.

Soldato
It's an irrational fear! With flying if something goes wrong I wont have long to worry about it.

You might well have rather longer than you might think!

It can take quite a long time for a plane to fall out of the sky and it is by no means certain that you will not be fully aware of what is happening all the way down!

Soldato
You might well have rather longer than you might think!

It can take quite a long time for a plane to fall out of the sky and it is by no means certain that you will not be fully aware of what is happening all the way down!

Well now you've said that you're almost ruined flying for me!

I wish I liked boats though. Some cruise ships look phenomenal but the whole being out at sea with nothing around makes me a bit uneasy. Though every person who I've known to go on a cruise say you often forget you're on a boat.

I went on a few little boats in Thailand which were enjoyable I just don't know how I feel about being far out at sea.

Soldato
Well now you've said that you're almost ruined flying for me!

:p

I wish I liked boats though. Some cruise ships look phenomenal but the whole being out at sea with nothing around makes me a bit uneasy. Though every person who I've known to go on a cruise say you often forget you're on a boat.

I went on a few little boats in Thailand which were enjoyable I just don't know how I feel about being far out at sea.

Size creates a feeling of invulnerability that is utterly unjustified. You do not even have to be particularly far out to sea to have the reality that you are in a thin walled metal box floating on an essentially bottomless ocean of water come back and bite you massively in the arse.

eg Costa Concordia Disaster

That wasn't a disater, well not for the overwhelming majority of the people on board anyway.

It was a bloody miracle! 50-100M further out to sea and she would have been in deep water gone to the bottom before most of the 4000 people on board would have had any chance of getting into lifeboats or otherwise evacuating the ship.

To get away with that level of damage and only have 32 Killed and 64 injured is almost unbelievable really.

(Incidentally, I recently saw a documentary that suggests that having a full compliment of boats would have actually made little difference to the outcome of the Titanic disaster (That was a disaster!) since there would have been insufficient time to load any more boats anyway. As it was, the last two boats were only deployed as the ship was actually in the final stage of sinking)

Soldato
How is the eurostar? I've never decided to go that route as something about being under that much water worries me.

It's great. The seats are wider and more comfortable than most planes, there's more toilets, the food's better. There's also not much time in it overall once you factor in having to change at the airport, get a train ticket to Central etc etc. I live near Heathrow but would still rather go via Eurostar. It's far more relaxing and you end up straight in Central Station.

Having driven, flown and got the ferry to the Dam many times, I'd think this would be the best way (unless you're in a rush then in that case London City is excellent, you can check in close to flight time and the customs checks are virtually non-existent on the way back as its mainly a business airport, meaning you get through super quick compared to Heathrow).

Soldato
:p
50-100M further out to sea and she would have been in deep water gone to the bottom before most of the 4000 people on board would have had any chance of getting into lifeboats or otherwise evacuating the ship.

50-100m further out and the boat wouldn't have run aground and tipped over thus averting the disaster altogether

Soldato
It's great. The seats are wider and more comfortable than most planes, there's more toilets, the food's better. There's also not much time in it overall once you factor in having to change at the airport, get a train ticket to Central etc etc. I live near Heathrow but would still rather go via Eurostar. It's far more relaxing and you end up straight in Central Station.

Having driven, flown and got the ferry to the Dam many times, I'd think this would be the best way (unless you're in a rush then in that case London City is excellent, you can check in close to flight time and the customs checks are virtually non-existent on the way back as its mainly a business airport, meaning you get through super quick compared to Heathrow).

I can imagine from London it would be really convenient. Maybe not so much from Bristol as it's only a 90 minute flight. Enough time to eat a rubbish EasyJet bacon roll before the descent begins.

I do like how easy it is to get from the airport to CS but it would be even nicer just hopping out of CS from London.

Caporegime
Does that mean we wont be allowed to travel to the EU post Brexit????

I think we all know you can travel pretty much anywhere.

However I imagine costs of going to europe will increase after brexit meaning less people end up going there as a result.

You can get cheap flights pretty much anywhere bar australia and the far east. the cost of going on holiday is cheap it's spending money which is usually the expensive part unless you want 5 star hotels, etc.

however I'm a 6 hour drive from london. so i would never use the train to get to amsterdam. would be pointless.

Back
Top Bottom