Moved from Android to iPhone 11 - Think I made a big mistake?

Soldato
I've been using an iPhone 8 for the last 2 hours and it's already cheesing me off

It feels so laggy and unresponsive compared to my Pixel 2 and this is a Pixel that's loaded up with stuff and an iPhone 8 which has nothing on it!

The animations feel sooooo slowwww

e: And I've switched back, iOS is definitely not for me, as appealing as it looks from the outside!

Sticking with the Pixel 2 for a while yet then, might get myself a new case :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting thread to read and I've made the switch to iOS after being an Android user for over a decade.

I'm loving how everything just works with no issues whatsoever, the apps feel a lot more polished on iOS compared to Android, including the Google apps.

Battery life has been insane too, easily getting 2 days of use off a single charge. Not having to worry about excessive battery drain anymore and feeling confident leaving the house with 40% battery knowing it will last me the day.

Overall just feel very confident the phone will perform day in day out with no issues.

Associate
I moved away from Android just over 3 years ago.
Went from HTC 10 > Pixel > iPhone 7 in 2016, haven't looked back.

If I ever came back to Android, it'd be because Apple have priced me out.
I cringed at the 11 Pro prices.
Although I see many Android flagships are creeping up.

Quite happy on iOS, yes there are some annoyances but it does what I need it to do.

Soldato
If I ever came back to Android, it'd be because Apple have priced me out.
I cringed at the 11 Pro prices.

This is partly why I chose to move to Android. I paid £1000 for an iPhone XS and then 14 months later it was £360 at most resellers. In the past, it's been high resale value that's made the high initial cost of an iPhone worthwhile. Now, you pay full whack for the devices and get near-Android resale prices.

Now I've got a Note 10+, which I effectively paid £699 for and I'll probably get £350 when I come to resell. And then it's the Apple prices for storage (storage specifically, not the devices) that seem designed to gleefully rub your nose in how much they're overcharging you for a couple of quid worth of flash storage.

Soldato
Ouch that is pretty steep depreciation for the XS!

My iPhone X 64GB was 2 years old when I got my new iPhone 11 this October and I got £435 for it from a recycling site.

Wonder what's caused the massive drop offs since then? I always thought strong resale was a plus point for the Apple devices too...

Soldato
My iPhone X 64GB was 2 years old when I got my new iPhone 11 this October and I got £435 for it from a recycling site.

Wonder what's caused the massive drop offs since then? I always thought strong resale was a plus point for the Apple devices too...

Resale prices were high just before the 11 came out. I didn't want the 11, and then the resale values plummeted. Last I checked, the resellers were offering less than £300 for an X. As it happens, Samsung offered an inflated £550 for my XS on black Friday, which was enough to make me go for the Note 10+.

Soldato
I always sell my old iPhones on eBay and Facebook Marketplace. Cash on pick up only. Got £300 for a just over two year old iPhone 8+ and was happy with that. I've never seen a good deal from a reseller. Even Apple themselves offer derisory trade in prices.

Associate
This is partly why I chose to move to Android. I paid £1000 for an iPhone XS and then 14 months later it was £360 at most resellers. In the past, it's been high resale value that's made the high initial cost of an iPhone worthwhile. Now, you pay full whack for the devices and get near-Android resale prices.

Thats just not true in my experience.

Most iPhone XS when I was looking back then were still fetching £500...

Also my Pixel 2 XL would be lucky to be worth £100 now. I bet an iPhone X still goes for a hell of a lot more than £100!

Soldato
Also my Pixel 2 XL would be lucky to be worth £100 now. I bet an iPhone X still goes for a hell of a lot more than £100!

It does, but it also started off more expensive, I bet a lot of Pixel 2 XL owners didn't spent £999 on theirs! Just checked and my P2 XL cost £699, so it's lost £600 in that time :(

Soldato
I bought my 2nd hand Xs off the ocuk mm back in early December I believe it was, for £610. That was the going price for a 64gb model at the time.

Damn thing has a smaller battery than my S8+ that I gave to my father, yet it lasts so much longer.

Soldato
Thats just not true in my experience.
Most iPhone XS when I was looking back then were still fetching £500...

Depends when you were looking. Before the new models came out, yes £500. After the 11 came out, prices dropped rapidly and now, £350. Hotukdeals had a brand new XS for five hundred and something pounds the other day.

Soldato
i think the general idea that is trying to be conveyed is that apple does infact hold their value way better than android! across the board this is the case!

Soldato
OP
Depends when you were looking. Before the new models came out, yes £500. After the 11 came out, prices dropped rapidly and now, £350. Hotukdeals had a brand new XS for five hundred and something pounds the other day.

My son wants an iPhone for his birthday, he's putting some towards it too. Would you mind sending me a link where I can get an XS for around the £350 mark please. The only refurbished ones I've been able to find are priced at £550+
He'll be well happy with that.

Soldato
OP
Damn thing has a smaller battery than my S8+ that I gave to my father, yet it lasts so much longer.

The main reason for this is that apple are a bit more aggressive when sending apps to sleep. This is a pro and a con.
It saves battery life, but it means everytime you want to access data inside the app (news widget for example) it has to refresh.

Basically on android, when you swipe left to see weather the data is already loaded whereas on ios it has to wake up and refresh.

Soldato
My son wants an iPhone for his birthday, he's putting some towards it too. Would you mind sending me a link where I can get an XS for around the £350 mark please. The only refurbished ones I've been able to find are priced at £550+
He'll be well happy with that.
TBF he was talking about the price offered by phone recycling sites. Just checked and £350 seems pretty much the right ballpark

Back
Top Bottom