Repairer scratched my fridge

Soldato
Correction, thread title should say 'Repairer'.

What do you guys think of this. The led light display on the door of my Hisense fridge freeze which shows fridge and freezer temperature stopped working.

There's this company celled 0800 repairs who are appointed to do the repairs for Hisense as well some other fridge companies. Under warranty they came to replace the unit. The 'engineer' gets here and I ask him to try not and scratch the fridge when removing the unit.

A few minutes later he calls someone asking how to remove it. You'd think a professional would know.
In the end he replaced it, it's all working, but he's scratched the surrounding metal. I said "you used a plastic tool right?" He said his plastic tool wasn't effective and the only way to remove it was to use a Stanley knife. Consequently he's left these scratch marks at the bottom right corner which, although It's minor, ****** me off a bit. I'm sure there would have been a safer way to remove it.

20200117-123451.jpg

20200117-123916.jpg

Do you think I should complain to them?

Soldato
Do you think I should complain to them?
about those scratches on the bottom right corner that are only obvious (barely) when you zoom in with your camera? no, i probably wouldn't bother complaining. probably wouldn't have bothered posting on the internet about them either to be honest :p

edit: got my bottom left and right mixed up! d'oh!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Most people wouldn't even notice that
But if his plastic tool wouldn't do the job
He should have said so and told you he may leave some very small marks
And asked Is it OK to do so
Doubt you will get far complaining about marks that small though

Permabanned
You do realise as ‘Engineers’ it doesn’t automatically mean that we know everything about every single piece of equipment.

It winds me up when I go in a garage for example to make a repair on a piece of equipment I’m not that familiar with “because their are many, many different makes and models” and the owner makes a snidely comment about me knowing my job. Umm do you know everything their is to know about every single car that comes into your garage... I highly doubt it.

Man of Honour
If it's anything like my samsung silver fridge then those scratches will be pretty obvious under most light and will slowly annoy the hell out of you. I dont think its unreasonable to expect a job to be done to an acceptable standard without damaging the fridge.

Would you accept if somebody damaged your alloy putting a new tyre on?

Soldato
OP
about those scratches on the bottom left corner that are only obvious (barely) when you zoom in with your camera?

There are no other scratches on the fridge, you're looking at smudges that wipe off.

Most people wouldn't even notice that
But if his plastic tool wouldn't do the job
He should have said so and told you he may leave some very small marks
And asked Is it OK to do so

Yes he should have. I don't care about most people. It's my fridge and I notice it.

If it's anything like my samsung silver fridge then those scratches will be pretty obvious under most light and will slowly annoy the hell out of you. I dont think its unreasonable to expect a job to be done to an acceptable standard without damaging the fridge.

Would you accept if somebody damaged your alloy putting a new tyre on?

Exactly right. The only reply here so far that is on point.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
There are no other scratches on the fridge, you're looking at smudges that wipe off.

Exactly right. The only reply here so far that is on point.

I do try :D To be honest I find nothing more annoying than half a job or rushing through a bad job so I would have probably said to him there and then that it wasnt acceptable to me. Personally I see no issue with calling them up and telling them that they might want to do it properly.

Soldato
sorry i meant the bottom right (not bottom left) where the panel fits into the door. they aren't even visible in your first pic. unless they are massively more obvious in 'the flesh' i wouldn't give it a second thought. what do you think you're going to get out of complaining? i don't imagine they are going to replace the entire fridge or even just the door.

Soldato
Guessing the op may be more aware of imperfections than some of us?
Looks like not even removed the plastic film from that display
Not saying what they did is right
Just that doubt you will get much joy complaining over such minor marks
At the end of the day though unless you contact them you won't find out
Regardless of our opinions it only what the companies opinion is that matters

Edit
I would have pulled off the plastic film straight after repair guy had put display in and he had left

Man of Honour
Edited, not sure what you were expecting when you had to take a second close up picture for it to even be remotely visible!

Out of interest if somebody came to repair something that you paid for and damaged it in the process, say an alloy wheel would you then not let them know they have done a ***** job?

Soldato
Those sorts of scratches etc are painfully obvious on a fridge like this, its the first thing you see. He damaged it when he shouldn't have therefor I wouldn't be happy.

Soldato
OP
Edited, not sure what you were expecting when you had to take a second close up picture for it to even be remotely visible!

I can notice it standing 3 feet away. I don't understand this mentality that if something is so small I shouldn't concern myself with it. If anyone in motors had a small scratch on their car from a careless mechanic or if someone in the mobile phone forum got a scratch on their phone because a repairer was careless, I bet they'd complain.

I called the company anyway, sent them the photos which they've passed to their manager and they're calling me back next week.

Associate
looks burred up the metal maybe it can be buffed out ? will be interesting too see what the company come up with too rectify it. if you can see it from 3ft away it would bug me too tbh.

Soldato
Out of interest if somebody came to repair something that you paid for and damaged it in the process, say an alloy wheel would you then not let them know they have done a ***** job?
sorry, i know the above post was in reply to a different poster but for me personally, not if the damage was so insignificant as to not be noticeable without having to zoom right in with my camera i wouldn't no. i've more important things to worry myself with thankfully :p
I can notice it standing 3 feet away. I don't understand this mentality that if something is so small I shouldn't concern myself with it. If anyone in motors had a small scratch on their car from a careless mechanic or if someone in the mobile phone forum got a scratch on their phone because a repairer was careless, I bet they'd complain.
can you really notice it from 3ft away or can you notice it because you know it is there? just purely going off of your first pic i highly doubt it is noticeable from 3ft away. it's barely noticeable from 3 inches away! but obviously i don't know what it looks like in the real world and it may be worse than your pics are showing.

I don't understand this mentality that if something is so small I shouldn't concern myself with it
there will likely be micro scratches all round the area you aren't aware off. do they cause you concern too? or are they small enough to not be concern worthy?

Soldato
yes ... I might wet'n'dry, it a bit -

but google says you've had it 18mths, so pragmatically much cheaper it failed now in guarantee ?

do they turn up with exploded pdf diagrams on a tablet ... or is it winged ? most of these things ... if you know where the hidden tabs are you can do it sympathetically,
but sometimes they weld plastic parts.

Man of Honour
sorry, i know the above post was in reply to a different poster but for me personally, not if the damage was so insignificant as to not be noticeable without having to zoom right in with my camera i wouldn't no. i've more important things to worry myself with thankfully :p

Don't get me wrong, i'm not going to cry about it but I kinda sympathise with the op, I cant actually remember how much my fridge freezer was and I only bought it around a year ago but remember it being what I thought was expensive for what it was, I think it was somewhere in the region of 600 to 800 or something like that so it's a fair bit of cash. Anyway, within a week there is a little dent that I notice on the door, you can barely capture it with a camera if you tried and believe me I did 5 mins ago. One day I was grabbing a drink and I noticed this little dent from the sink about 4 feet away. Now literally every time I look at the fridge it's the very first thing that catches my eye.

It's like a monitor with a dead pixel, it's only really noticeable under certain conditions but once you notice it that's it you can never unsee it after that point.

Soldato
When i got part of a ceiling plastered and they left with the entire ground floor of my house covered in plaster splashes and residue, yes I complained.

If an alloy wheel scratch required me to be on my knees with my nose against the wheel to see the scratch, no I wouldn't!

Back
Top Bottom