Command & Conquer 4K remaster coming

Associate
To be fair, nobody should doubt that Frank Klepacki being on the team will result in an awesome soundtrack. I think this will sell well, but at full price it may be hard to swallow for many. Minor graphic updates, and many quality of life improvements with the UI in game will offer a fun experience. Going back and playing old C&Cs, even RA2 shows how badly the game has aged, especially when you've played newer RTS games. Which brings me to some unofficial mods for the Openra engine such as Shattered Paradise and Romanovs Vengence are making good progress, both based off Tiberium Sun and RA2.

Soldato
I'm an old Yuri's Revenge player. Wasted hundreds of really enjoyable hours playing online. Still have the disks although haven't played any games on a PC for a few years now.

What modern day RTS games would appeal to a RA2 player such as myself? I'm so out of touch I wouldn't know where to begin.

Soldato
I can't see a remastered Command & Conquer (original 95 game) being any good at all. Yes it was brilliant in the day. But unless they add extra features the gameplay will bore many. Wasn't till Red Alert 2 really and onwards that the game got its wind regarding how you controlled your army and the gameplay mechanics. We shall see. Generals, Red Alert 2 and Tiberium Sun need remastered. Can't rememberthe original Red Alert gameplay but when it came out on origin I had a go and yes it looked poo but the gameplay was badly dated.

Soldato
I can't see a remastered Command & Conquer (original 95 game) being any good at all. Yes it was brilliant in the day. But unless they add extra features the gameplay will bore many. Wasn't till Red Alert 2 really and onwards that the game got its wind regarding how you controlled your army and the gameplay mechanics. We shall see. Generals, Red Alert 2 and Tiberium Sun need remastered. Can't rememberthe original Red Alert gameplay but when it came out on origin I had a go and yes it looked poo but the gameplay was badly dated.

I played through the original C&C campaigns about 6 months ago and while there are limitations I still enjoyed it a lot. A couple of Quality-of-Life updates would be great though.

Associate
What modern day RTS games would appeal to a RA2 player such as myself? I'm so out of touch I wouldn't know where to begin.

I recommend you head on over to Mental Omega. The community is big, it has new factions, good balance, single player and multiplayer. It's a Yuri's Revenge mod.

C&C's design is different, which is good, but there's plenty of other good RTS games out there that are very much favoured still. The genre is far from dead, but development for it is very lacking.

The dev team are in close talks with many different people from various C&C communities. So UI and modernisation won't be an issue. Excessive mechanics won't be in the game, but they will try to expand a little. What the insiders can talk about is limited, but the ones i know are happy with how things are going. Personally i like the simplicity of some games, the over the top mechanics doesn't interest me that much. But maybe that's just my age :p

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
I used to be a big RA2/YR player.. although I joined the scene pretty late. Was in a top clan called Om3rta at one point, also part of the 'Strike Team' when XWIS was founded when EA/Westwood shut down the servers, reviewing replays and banning people :D. Think I completed the game offline about 3 times for all sides, but online was all the fun, had my Build Order on point always. I never finished top ladder but knew a lot of the people that did and had them on MSN etc.

Tried C&C Generals and the other few that came out after but none compared to RA2. Ah memories.

Associate
I used to be a big RA2/YR player.. although I joined the scene pretty late. Was in a top clan called Om3rta at one point, also part of the 'Strike Team' when XWIS was founded when EA/Westwood shut down the servers, reviewing replays and banning people :D. Think I completed the game offline about 3 times for all sides, but online was all the fun, had my Build Order on point always. I never finished top ladder but knew a lot of the people that did and had them on MSN etc.

Tried C&C Generals and the other few that came out after but none compared to RA2. Ah memories.

Xwis players have a discord with ladder type games still being played btw. The forums are also still in use. Though i never got back into it myself, there's streams and casts available to watch. I believe there was some more balancing that was done to help competitive play.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Xwis players have a discord with ladder type games still being played btw. The forums are also still in use. Though i never got back into it myself, there's streams and casts available to watch. I believe there was some more balancing that was done to help competitive play.
Yea I know it's still around, but I moved onto other games a long time ago, don't think I could get back to into it competitively again, it just wouldn't be the same.

Associate
Yea I know it's still around, but I moved onto other games a long time ago, don't think I could get back to into it competitively again, it just wouldn't be the same.

Too true. I joined the discord, watched some casts, that's as far as i got. It's a nice thought, but would take a good 6months to get back. For me at least.

Caporegime
If they add a decent online multiplayer I can see that being the biggest benefit, used to play this linked up with friends on Playstation we used to go on hardest skirmish mode as a team against computer. Lots of fun.

Permabanned

nobody goes on xwis now it's all over to cncnet

Come back on cncnet

Associate
If they add a decent online multiplayer I can see that being the biggest benefit, used to play this linked up with friends on Playstation we used to go on hardest skirmish mode as a team against computer. Lots of fun.

Red Alert is freeware by the way. CnCnet for that. Or Openra for less pita mechanics and quality of life improvements generally. Plenty of servers for free use on both too.

nobody goes on xwis now it's all over to cncnet

Was under the impression xwis was still pretty popular, discord and forums very active. Was there a balancing difference between the 2? I seem to recall that's why i was looking to xwis previously. But that was a while ago.

Permabanned
Red Alert is freeware by the way. CnCnet for that. Or Openra for less pita mechanics and quality of life improvements generally. Plenty of servers for free use on both too.

Was under the impression xwis was still pretty popular, discord and forums very active. Was there a balancing difference between the 2? I seem to recall that's why i was looking to xwis previously. But that was a while ago.

I'm not sure about the balancing stuff don't think there ever was mind. Xwis servers are empty right now, 238 players on cncnet at the moment.

Associate
Ah fair enough. Haven't played since 2005 i think. It's just the new casts i watched had Iron Curtains and such being used, the meta has definitely shifted if balance is the same. Could potentially be different maps forcing that however.

Soldato
I'd rather see a Generals remake to be honest, loved that game but it had a bug which made online multiplayer disconnect/desync (can't remember the exacts) that made it extremely frustrating to play. I tried countless supposed 'fixes' but absolutely nothing solved the problem.

Unfortunate as there's some awesome mods for it

Back
Top Bottom