Keyboard for gaming.....and typing!

Associate
Mechanical keyboard IMO are gimmicky.

I've never had an issue with membrane. I use membrane at work as office supplies us with them and I've never missed a keystroke.

They are also loud and I mean LOUD.

I have 2 mechanical keyboards at home I bought a budget chinese one brand new and a decent one second hand for cheap.

No real difference between them. I believe the switches alone on the decent one are worth like £50+.

I'd say just buy a cheap mechanical no need to spend £150.
I have several keyboards and the "mem-chanical" (a hybrid membrane/mechanical) is quiet loudy and clicky. I have had to occasionally telephone IT and I hear them typing loudly down the phone when they are talking to me. I also don't like the noise of mechanical.

This xmas I got a razer chroma cyanosa keyboard for about £50 and as it is very quiet it must be a membrane. I love it, and it has a quality feel.

Caporegime
I have several keyboards and the "mem-chanical" (a hybrid membrane/mechanical) is quiet loudy and clicky. I have had to occasionally telephone IT and I hear them typing loudly down the phone when they are talking to me. I also don't like the noise of mechanical.

This xmas I got a razer chroma cyanosa keyboard for about £50 and as it is very quiet it must be a membrane. I love it, and it has a quality feel.

yeah all i hear over discord these days is keys being smashed.

why can't they make silent mechanical keyboards?

if i could buy again i'd buy membrane and probably either that razer or the hyper x which is similarly priced.

Soldato

if i could buy again i'd buy membrane and probably either that razer or the hyper x which is similarly priced.

There are silent switches for mechanical keyboards, although the ones I've experienced are still audible.

I'm on brown switches myself, they're far from quiet but it hardly matters as nobody else is in the vicinity while I'm typing anyway.

For things like Discord, push to talk should be mandatory tbh.

Caporegime
There are silent switches for mechanical keyboards, although the ones I've experienced are still audible.

I'm on brown switches myself, they're far from quiet but it hardly matters as nobody else is in the vicinity while I'm typing anyway.

For things like Discord, push to talk should be mandatory tbh.

i'm using red's which are supposed to be quiet. far from it.

as for discord. if i'm in a game the last thing i want to be doing at a critical moment is pressing another button. it's the difference between winning and losing.

Soldato
I've been gaming with voice chat for 20 or so years, pretty much always used push to talk and I've never had a problem even when playing at a higher level.

The majority of gaming communities I've been part of have made push to talk mandatory, nobody wants to hear someone typing and/or mouth breathing down the microphone. It's worse again when they've got family in the background, I've heard more than one argument with parents and spouses I could have done without.

Soldato
There are silent switches for mechanical keyboards
There are no silent mechanical switches.
They simply have too much moving hard plastic parts for that.
And only couple ones have any kind sound damping for ends of movement in down and upstroke to take some sharpest noise away:
Cherry MX (not) Silent and Logitech's Omron made Romer-G.
All others have hard plastic parts hitting each others directly both up and downstroke.

Which is why holding finger on key cap when letting it rise dampens noise.
Otherwise spring kicking switch up hard causes hard hit of switch stem to plastic casing and causing key cap to rattle.

Now Topre with its hybrid design closer to membrane/rubber dome on function would have smooth sound profile.

i'm using red's which are supposed to be quiet. far from it.
MX Silent would have softer sound.

Associate

I like hyper x for headset - didn't know they did membrane keyboards (I have seen their higher end mechanical keyboards and like all mechanicals they are loud)

Back
Top Bottom