New PC build to replace 6yr old rig

Associate
OP
Im not keen on the x570 prime p,no optical audio input so went for the gigabyte aurous instead,i think i have the build nailed down now,unless i have made a glaring error somewhere, im going for the 3900x for gaming/streaming but had to go for 2080 oc and not the TI to keep cost nearer to original £2500 budget, and 32gb ram @ 3200 mhz.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,505.60 (includes shipping: £20.82)

Hopefully this is the final list of parts,if you see anything thats not compatible,feel free to comment.
Thanks again for all the info etc,much appreciated,just need to get it all on tick now :)
Cheers!

Soldato
Have you researched streaming via Nvidia and 2080ti Vs CPU ?

Below is 2080ti Vs 9900k Vs 3900x (intel wins some but wouldn't go for it unless your doing eSports with 240hz monitor ) would still go 8 cores and 2080ti - then Zen3 next year - which AMD will show bigger performance increase and lesson the need for huge core count at the lower end of pricing . Personally hope to see Ryzen 4600 6 core (if they haven't rid 6 cores as entry without internal GPU ) equal or better 8 core 3700x

https://youtu.be/h8dv0LT06qU

If you were to do additional content creation with gaming footage then 12 cores

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No I haven't but I just can't go that extra 300 odd quid for the to, I'll have to compromise somewhere and the gpu is the sacrifice, the3900x will be amazing I know, that 2080 OC card is no slouch tho.
I'm so torn on what to do I want both top tier cpu and gpu.

Soldato
No I haven't but I just can't go that extra 300 odd quid for the to, I'll have to compromise somewhere and the gpu is the sacrifice, the3900x will be amazing I know, that 2080 OC card is no slouch tho.

A 3700x and rtx 2080ti will give you much better gaming performance over a 3900x and a 2080 super.

Soldato
[

if your gaming and have the monitor then 2080ti , if your interested in serious streaming then 3900 or 2080ti , if your content creating then 3900 plus 2080ti .

also depends on the games you wish to stream ... playing Fortnite etc or CS:GO that could be handled by 3600 for streaming alone , 3900 would be wasted etc

Associate
OP
I mainly play destiny 2,some pubg and dayz and escape from tarkov, I don't use editing software that much and when I do it's only to cup clips add music and titles etc, nothing heavy-duty.
My main use on the pc will be gaming and sometimes streaming, I wont streaming all the time when I play either, this is also about longevity of the pc based on the last time I did a whole new build, I'll have another look at the ti but with the 3700x or go full send and get both the 3900x and the 2080 ti

Last edited:
Soldato
I mainly play destiny 2,some pubg and dayz and escape from tarkov, I don't use editing software that much and when I do it's only to cup clips add music and titles etc, nothing heavy-duty.
My main use on the pc will be gaming and sometimes streaming, I wont streaming all the time when I play either, this is also about longevity of the pc based on the last time I did a whole new build, I'll have another look at the ti but with the 3700x or go full send and get both the 3900x and the 2080 ti

would have stated 9700k... you'll be gaming at 1440p though im guessing so would go 3700x.

Associate
OP
Yeah, if I positively have to go for the 2080ti, i then would have to drop down to the 3700x, I'll get home after work and juggle parts around in the basket and see what final figures are.
I'm thinking the 3700x isn't that much of an issue if I pair it with the 2080ti.

Soldato
Yeah, if I positively have to go for the 2080ti, i then would have to drop down to the 3700x, I'll get home after work and juggle parts around in the basket and see what final figures are.
I'm thinking the 3700x isn't that much of an issue if I pair it with the 2080ti.

still a power house! specially at 1440p. Game at 1440p and Stream at 1080p . Test between streaming off CPU and GPU to see, which gives the best rounded performance

Man of Honour
heads up with the video. LLC for Asus and Gigabyte are opposite ends of the spectrum , which means the Gigabyte runs hotter via the VRM. LLC for Asus would have to be Level 6/7 to match Extreme on the Gaming X - which to be fair would only ever run on Master or Xtreme. And with asus, specially Strix Level 3/4 is best sweet spot . Its very easy to pick apart reviewers to help or hinder a company. ASRock shouldnt be on Extreme as well
disagree there.
LLC is a means to an end to stabilise the voltages, and the voltages that HUB achieved with whatever LLC is being used is pretty transparent (he lists it)

Associate
OP
save yourself some money and get this screen instead: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/pixio/px7-prime
same panel as the gigabyte in your basket - but 20% cheaper
yep,nice monitor,but ill be getting everything all in one go and taking out finance so its the gigabyte monitor ill go for.

Thinking of going for a 2080 TI and 3900x and basket is as follows.....
Ill drop to 3700x if i have to :(

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,805.77 (includes shipping: £20.82)

Soldato
disagree there.
LLC is a means to an end to stabilise the voltages, and the voltages that HUB achieved with whatever LLC is being used is pretty transparent (he lists it)

Run yours at extreme and low , AVX load . Naturally leave a good few hours to cool down before each run .
Gigabytes own over locking guides state note to run Extreme , specially on lower end boards - one reason being warmer .

Should see the phases on z490 boards from vendors . Honestly don't think they'd be able to handle around round of 14nm lol

Personally not a fan of that lian li case

Nice spot on the LCD panel . Never heard of that brand before. Seems Gigabyte now switching to Samsung Panels . Fare amount of saving that !

Associate
OP
Thats all the parts ordered,3900x, 2080 ti and i got the phanteks case from another retailer as looking on the interwebz it was the better of the two including that Lian Li one.
Look forward to the build soon.
Thanks to all who posted and took time to help choose parts etc,a wee bit over budget,but,what a beast of a pc it will be.
:)

Associate
Thats all the parts ordered,3900x, 2080 ti and i got the phanteks case from another retailer as looking on the interwebz it was the better of the two including that Lian Li one.
Look forward to the build soon.
Thanks to all who posted and took time to help choose parts etc,a wee bit over budget,but,what a beast of a pc it will be.
:)
its good to see that you went for a quality PSU (that has a 10yr warranty). In my experience PSU's the first thing that really need replacing (after about 9 yrs I tend to find that they lose power). the 3900x should give you enough CPU grunt for the foreseeable future (and the 2080Ti should last too).

Associate
that monitor which are getting does both freesysnc and G sync! I didn't know that was a thing - I thought that it was one or the other up till now. It looks a good monitor - I would like something just like that but am wondering about whether to get a curved monitor (only needed for gaming and so will not be drawing anything like circles on the screen.

Back
Top Bottom