LG CX (C10) OLED 2020 Thread

Soldato
ok - if walking deads no good, for demos, need to think of another sample for black level crush, low bitrate noise (at netflix, poor vs blue-ray, streaming rates) - back to this ?

looked at the Marvel 4K trailer https://youtu.be/LEAKH-cGbs0?t=19 ?
It's not 10bit/hdr material , just 8bit/sdr/rec709 so should be fine on an 8 bit panel
I see posterization/haloing... on older 8 bit panasonic, so I think this is just par for the course
it's just poor 15Mb/s streamed material (converted from hdr ?) ... maybe those with a 10 bit oleds will comment on what they see. ?

Soldato
Quite a while ago I went to Currys (as was) to test a portable DVD player. The staff there old me they couldn't play anything rated above a PG. Luckily what I bought with me to test was a PG, but (as of about 10 yrs ago) they had restrictions on age content. Don't know about the other shops though
Was that due to the age of there staff :D

Associate
Was that due to the age of there staff :D
Ha, perhaps I shouldn't have given that example! Deffo wasnt Debbie does Dallas, would have been funnier if it was! I suspect it was a blanket ban on anything that wasn't on their list of what they could display. Like I say I don't know if this is still a problem for currys/pc world or not, I imagine RS would let you play what you want as a test especially if its in one of their test rooms rather than in the shop front

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Cheapest I saw was £1,099. Still a great deal for a great TV, very happy.
Was definitely £999 in a few places, but that was later on in the day. Basically as competition got hot and they price matched each other the price came down. Worked out £994 for me as I get half a percent auto cash back on my credit card.

As you say, it is a great TV. I feel any TV offering any better image quality is very little that it is not worth paying the premium, which is why I did not bother with the C9.

Soldato
Was that due to the age of there staff
hat's off - I thought that was up with habby birdot.

recommended tv shows for testing sets/ blacks&noise seems to be gommorah(can agree with that), vikings , last kingdom ... conversely children probabaly don't notice issues

Associate
The 2020 48" would be a great PC gaming monitor if it wasn't for the fact that the 2019 55" will be cheaper and larger. Both have all of the gaming features that you would want (gsync, VRR, ALLM, low input lag, etc). If they were really clever, they would have given the 2020 screen a DisplayPort input, so that we can take advantage of 4K 120hz without waiting on HDMI2.1 GPUs.

Soldato
Oh this has thrown a spanner into the works. We, OK actually I, decided we wanted a 65" C9. This will either work in our favour as prices should drop down or it will screw us over as it'll push the price of the new 65" beyond our budget.

Soldato
Oh this has thrown a spanner into the works. We, OK actually I, decided we wanted a 65" C9. This will either work in our favour as prices should drop down or it will screw us over as it'll push the price of the new 65" beyond our budget.

I suspect you'll find the 9 range is near enough as cheap as it's likely to get, I wouldn't be expecting any deep discounts further than what you see now. The X series will likely launch at something daft like £3500 for a 65" model.

Soldato
I suspect you'll find the 9 range is near enough as cheap as it's likely to get, I wouldn't be expecting any deep discounts further than what you see now. The X series will likely launch at something daft like £3500 for a 65" model.

The 77 inch screen is still hovering around £5400 to 6000. I pesonally think there is still room for movement.

On the 65inch size, if you like Sky TV, then the £1800 + SkyTV deal was great. If you don't like Sky, I expect a further price drop.

LG have just over the past couple of days increased their 9 series prices, likely to protect the CX launch price regime, and then slowly drop them again in March time. Probably to also goad people into panic-buying the 9 series by projecting an image that they are close to being sold out.

Soldato
Oh and on the CX range. Its definitely incremental upgrades. They've really got nothing other than the 120hz BFI and film maker mode.

If they'd gone down the route Panasonic have in their high end OLEDs have making it a bit thicker by improving the cooling to counteract image retention, I would have been all over it but as the C9 vs CX choice stands, I can't look past the C9's better value.

Sure the 4:2:0 thing with 120hz Gsync on the CX is cool, but honestly if you're pumping out 4k/120hz, you're likely going to have to rock the next generation of HDMI 2.1 cards anyway.

Associate
Please tell me if I'm wrong but this seems like a decent upgrade from the C8
Sort of.

The gaming-centric features make it quite appealing; especially if you game on PC. However, those same features are also -largely- on the 2019 models (B9, C9, E9, etc).

We've got 6 OLEDs in the house. Had at least one from every generation since 2015. Can't get enough of them. The only one that I hated was my 65" C8. It was a bandy mess when I got it; the screen was replaced under warranty; but the replacement went on to develop an odd "bubbling behind the screen" fault. Got a refund from John Lewis and used the refund money to buy both a 65" E9 and a 55" C9 (the latter which I use as a gsync PC gaming monitor).

Once the new laptop GPUs come out; I'll get a Razer Blade 15 with an OLED display as well.

Soldato
OP
Oh and on the CX range. Its definitely incremental upgrades. They've really got nothing other than the 120hz BFI and film maker mode.

If they'd gone down the route Panasonic have in their high end OLEDs have making it a bit thicker by improving the cooling to counteract image retention, I would have been all over it but as the C9 vs CX choice stands, I can't look past the C9's better value.

Sure the 4:2:0 thing with 120hz Gsync on the CX is cool, but honestly if you're pumping out 4k/120hz, you're likely going to have to rock the next generation of HDMI 2.1 cards anyway.

my hat part still surprises me a bit. I think OLED is all about the thin panels, it's a selling point and they don't want to change it. LG won't admit it to our face but we know it's 100% true - image retention is part caused by pixels overheating - the quickest way to solve the overheating without reducing brightness is to make the panel thicker and stick in some heat sinks or fans.

by keeping the panel so thin, there is no airflow and no way for the heat to escape and so the pixels just overheat

Soldato
Sort of.

The gaming-centric features make it quite appealing; especially if you game on PC. However, those same features are also -largely- on the 2019 models (B9, C9, E9, etc).

We've got 6 OLEDs in the house. Had at least one from every generation since 2015. Can't get enough of them. The only one that I hated was my 65" C8. It was a bandy mess when I got it; the screen was replaced under warranty; but the replacement went on to develop an odd "bubbling behind the screen" fault. Got a refund from John Lewis and used the refund money to buy both a 65" E9 and a 55" C9 (the latter which I use as a gsync PC gaming monitor).

Once the new laptop GPUs come out; I'll get a Razer Blade 15 with an OLED display as well.
I have a gaming rig with the 9900k paired with a 1080ti. I'm tempted by gsync as well.

My C8 has developed a dark spot up towards the top left, do you think it worth requesting a replacement?

Back
Top Bottom