1155 Matx/ITX suggestions

Associate
Hi all, I know this is old platform stuff, so I'll need to scour the auctions sites, but I need to try and track down an MATX or even ITX board that will run an 1155 chip (2500K) but one that also supports overclocking to squeeze every last bit of horsepower out of this chip (currently @ 4.5Ghz on stock voltage)

I know about the "Z" range chipsets to some degree but these seem to not be an option, I've not seen one ever, anywhere, in the second hand market that will host an 1155 chip.

I'd likely upgrade to something more modern in the next 12 months, but right now, post-Christmas, there's no urgency, this is to downsize a PC from a smaller desk.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Ta.

DB.

Associate
OP
you'd need a z68 or z77 mobo for that chip

That was my fear, they're almost impossible to get, and when they do appear, it'd be cheaper to get a new setup! It's only for a PC for minecraft for a 9 y/o, so trying to avoid spending a fortune on it, cheers as always for the help :)

Associate
OP
what's wrong with using your current mobo and case?

It's a long story, the case was recently replaced but due to the dimensions not being inclusive of the extra 20mm of the feet, they had to be removed. The case sits in a desk "hutch" and as a result of the feet being removed there's low airflow into the PSU, which has been over heating. Putting it on the desk is a no go as there's no space, and I've struggled massively to find an ATX case to fit the hutch, hence downsizing was another option. I'd ditch the case, keep the motherboard as a spare, and improve airflow.

Man of Honour
if the new case doesn't have a psu shroud (or if the psu shroud is perforated) can consider using the psu with the fan-side up

Soldato
would a Masterbox Q500L fit?

Or you could forgo the case completely and assemble the parts in the desk compartment without it.

The Maximus Gene boards - IV or V are good mATX overclocking boards.

Soldato
Always an option to cut your own hole in the side of the case to add another fan.
You could invert the PSU so it is pulling in air from inside the case ?

Associate
OP
It currently running without any sides on, just to keep temps down, PSU shroud is an integral and structural part of the case, I looked into removing it, and it's also solid sheet, no way to invert PSU. As stated, if the dimensions were correct and INCLUDED feet, i'd not have gone for it.

would a Masterbox Q500L fit?

Or you could forgo the case completely and assemble the parts in the desk compartment without it.

The Maximus Gene boards - IV or V are good mATX overclocking boards.

It's a nice case, but too big. The dimensions I'm working to are 200w x 400h x 350l. The Q500L is a chonky beast in terms of width...

Soldato
That was my fear, they're almost impossible to get, and when they do appear, it'd be cheaper to get a new setup! It's only for a PC for minecraft for a 9 y/o, so trying to avoid spending a fortune on it, cheers as always for the help :)
If it's only for minecraft then I doubt you need to overclock the CPU so you could grab a cheap mobo.

Associate
OP
If it's only for minecraft then I doubt you need to overclock the CPU so you could grab a cheap mobo.

This was my thinking as well, I was hoping for the Z series stuff but would likely settle on H or other chipsets, it's a homework / Minecraft box, the size is more important in this case than the power.

Soldato
It currently running without any sides on, just to keep temps down, PSU shroud is an integral and structural part of the case, I looked into removing it, and it's also solid sheet, no way to invert PSU. As stated, if the dimensions were correct and INCLUDED feet, i'd not have gone for it.

It's a nice case, but too big. The dimensions I'm working to are 200w x 400h x 350l. The Q500L is a chonky beast in terms of width...

Yeh I had same issues with a case recently, was quite a bit deeper than advertised, I made it fit by taking the back off the cupboard I put it in though.

Back
Top Bottom