Moved from Android to iPhone 11 - Think I made a big mistake?

Soldato
i think the general idea that is trying to be conveyed is that apple does infact hold their value way better than android! across the board this is the case!

No it isn't. My XS lost £650 of its value in about 15 months. That's pretty terrible depreciation. If you bought a Samsung at full price at the wrong time you could better that depreciation, but who pays full price for an Android phone?

Soldato
My son wants an iPhone for his birthday, he's putting some towards it too. Would you mind sending me a link where I can get an XS for around the £350 mark please. The only refurbished ones I've been able to find are priced at £550+
He'll be well happy with that.

£520 for a brand new XS 64Gb from wowcamera if you want to spend that much. They are great phones and definitely worth £520.

Associate
£520 for a brand new XS 64Gb from wowcamera if you want to spend that much. They are great phones and definitely worth £520.

£499 on amazon for an XS though what they call an as new refurb. Did cross my mind before I bought a s/h S10. I do have the mrs's old iPhone 6S Plus that I lark about with but just can't make myself prefer Apple over Android. That said everything just works on the iPhone which is not always the case with android phones.

Soldato
New refurb could mean "we tested the battery and wiped the case with a damp cloth and everything is fine cos we got sent an immaculate phone to recycle". You can't beat new.

Associate
It does, but it also started off more expensive, I bet a lot of Pixel 2 XL owners didn't spent £999 on theirs! Just checked and my P2 XL cost £699, so it's lost £600 in that time :(

IIRC the Pixel 2 XL was £899 at launch so not that much cheaper. You would have to be mad to pay full price for a Pixel but that’s not the point :)

Soldato
OP
IIRC the Pixel 2 XL was £899 at launch so not that much cheaper. You would have to be mad to pay full price for a Pixel but that’s not the point :)

The fact that google always drops the price £100+ a month after release should mean we ignore the RRP. I doubt many people pay it.
Black friday time seems good for early adopters, although as I said a while back, googles release dates are really bad. Samsungs Q1, Googles Q4 for the same generation. The pixels 4 only just come out and samsung are readying their next device.

Soldato
The fact that google always drops the price £100+ a month after release should mean we ignore the RRP. I doubt many people pay it.
Black friday time seems good for early adopters, although as I said a while back, googles release dates are really bad. Samsungs Q1, Googles Q4 for the same generation. The pixels 4 only just come out and samsung are readying their next device.
Agreed, plus they always compete with a just launched new iPhone every year as they refresh in September :p

Associate
Very interesting thread. Never owned or used an iphone, always had windows/android phones. Currently own a Oneplus 7 pro and other than a couple of annoying bugs (never owned a phone that doesn't have an annoying quirk/bug) I really like it, but... I really am curious about owning an iphone and I can't put my finger on why.

I'm not totally green to ios, have owned an ipad 2 and currently use an ipad pro 12.9 second gen.

Reading about others experience swapping between androids and iphones - it seems that apps are better executed and more polished on ios, but customization you can't beat an android. I like my phones desktop to be clean and free of icons and I think that is what kills it for me when I see an iphone pulled from someone's pocket and see icons everywhere.. eeurgh. Yet I'm still curious :confused:

I haven't used custom roms since the galaxy s3 and I literally use my phone for messaging/browsing/music these days oh and of course photos. I think if the next iteration of ios included the option to have an app drawer with a clean desktop I'd be sold. Silly things that sway our decicions eh?

Maybe I should take the plunge and have a play for 14 days see if it's for me.

Soldato
Very interesting thread. Never owned or used an iphone, always had windows/android phones. Currently own a Oneplus 7 pro and other than a couple of annoying bugs (never owned a phone that doesn't have an annoying quirk/bug) I really like it, but... I really am curious about owning an iphone and I can't put my finger on why.

I'm not totally green to ios, have owned an ipad 2 and currently use an ipad pro 12.9 second gen.

Reading about others experience swapping between androids and iphones - it seems that apps are better executed and more polished on ios, but customization you can't beat an android. I like my phones desktop to be clean and free of icons and I think that is what kills it for me when I see an iphone pulled from someone's pocket and see icons everywhere.. eeurgh. Yet I'm still curious :confused:

I haven't used custom roms since the galaxy s3 and I literally use my phone for messaging/browsing/music these days oh and of course photos. I think if the next iteration of ios included the option to have an app drawer with a clean desktop I'd be sold. Silly things that sway our decicions eh?

Maybe I should take the plunge and have a play for 14 days see if it's for me.

You can leave page 1 blank and simply put your icons on page 2 onwards. There is such a thing as folders!

Associate
Finally came to my senses and decided it wasn’t worth moving over to Android, as much as I’m intrigued by what it’s got to offer at the moment.

Will be going “Pro” throughout the year by getting an iPad Pro 11”, AirPods Pro and then the 12 Pro when that comes out later in the year.

This really was a great thread though.

Associate
You can leave page 1 blank and simply put your icons on page 2 onwards. There is such a thing as folders!

I tried that with mine but it always felt a bit wrong to me.

Also apart from the dock, I am frustrated I can’t have my icons at the bottom where my fingers are. I thought at the very least they would add this ability with iOS 13.

Soldato
I am frustrated I can’t have my icons at the bottom where my fingers are. I thought at the very least they would add this ability with iOS 13.

Apple want your homepage to look how they want it to look. They've persisted with this design choice for so long I can't imagine they plan to change it.

Soldato
I don't really understand the obsession with home screens.

It's really just a way to get from one app to another isn't it? I don't sit there with my phone unlocked looking at the home screen, ever. Whether it's android or iPhone :p

Back
Top Bottom