Looking to expand my memory capacity

Associate
Hi all, looking to go from 16gb to 32gb but as you can see from my signature what I already have and my other specs.

these are the bad boys.

only purchased and set up this system on 09/01/2020

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...al-channel-kit-black-grey-tlgd-my-09s-tg.html

Any issues if I got another 16gb set to expand, would it be better to stick to 2 slots over 4? And then if it's better I do get 2x 16gb kit what speed should I be thinking about future proof?

In case anyone does ask "why" some games i play due to being heavily modded see's me reaching 14gb ish, like today civ 6 GS huge map late game, she gets a little slow, also I'm waiting for star citizen as most say 32gb or you'll have issues. Not to mention I've just got space engineers and that's a new one on me that uses a lot of ram.

Soldato
You might get slightly lower than rated speed with 4 RAM sticks over 2, the memory controller has to work harder to 'drive' 4 sticks than 2. The 'ideal' speed for RAM is 3600MHz on Ryzen, but it's not absolutely needed to have RAM that speed. The only issue with getting another 32GB of 3600MHz RAM is that you are left with the original 16GB 3200MHz stuff, if you can use or get rid of it somehow then by all means get the 32GB you want.

The only issue doing that is for 32GB of 3600MHz RAM you want CL16 stuff for best performance, and at 3600MHz the 32GB CL16 RAM is a bit of a premium compared to 16GB kits.

Associate
OP
You might get slightly lower than rated speed with 4 RAM sticks over 2, the memory controller has to work harder to 'drive' 4 sticks than 2. The 'ideal' speed for RAM is 3600MHz on Ryzen, but it's not absolutely needed to have RAM that speed. The only issue with getting another 32GB of 3600MHz RAM is that you are left with the original 16GB 3200MHz stuff, if you can use or get rid of it somehow then by all means get the 32GB you want.

The only issue doing that is for 32GB of 3600MHz RAM you want CL16 stuff for best performance, and at 3600MHz the 32GB CL16 RAM is a bit of a premium compared to 16GB kits.

Hello @hominid , thanks for your reply.

A little confused apologies, so instead of getting another 2x8gb at 3200 for £64.99 of the same I already have to make my current 2x8gb (16gb kit) at 3200 to the 32gb I would like, you suggest getting 2x16gb kit at ideally 3600 speed to help the memory controller with load if I'm honest should be able to get some quids back if I did sell them. was hoping to only spend that 65 and add them, but I guess I can buy 2 single 16gb kit and sell what I have,

Really appreciate the reply and information.

(edit. Just re-read what you had said and it made complete sense lol thank you)

Back
Top Bottom