Why you must update Windows 10 immediately: Government agencies issue warning about "critical flaw"

Soldato
Sorry if the title sounds a bit like click bait, but that's what the article had as headline and since the warning about the "critical flaw" come from NSA and I did not see anything mentioned here I thought I post it.

Microsoft's latest Patch Tuesday plugs 50 security holes including a hugely critical flaw within the CryptoAPI

Following reports that America's National Security Agency had uncovered a severe and critical flaw in Windows 10, Microsoft has now confirmed the vulnerabilty and issued a vital patch to fix it.

The spoofing vulnerability, found in the so-called CryptoAPI in Windows 10, could allow a hacker to install malicious software that looks and works like a legitimate programme.

What's more, your system wouldn't be able to tell it was malicious and would mark it as coming from a trusted source meaning it would bypass digital security checks.

Source: Expert Reviews Why you must update Windows 10 ......

PS: If mods find it to be to much of a click bait thread name, feel free to change it.

Man of Honour
As much as I have a problem with updates heh - I highly recommend people update to one of the latest builds - some real nasty stuff in the last few months that has been, mostly quietly, closed. I'm surprised there isn't more of a spotlight on it with some of the vulnerabilities more potentially useful than the stuff that Intel is getting hammered for.

Way past time MS improved the implementation of security and critical updates versus feature updates, etc. they need to be far more streamlined and better handling of out of band updates, etc.

Associate
Glad I'm staying staying with W7 :p.....interestingly still getting virus and spyware definitions coming down for Microsoft security essentials (though read an article saying yhis would be withdrawn along with support)

Soldato
Glad I'm staying staying with W7 :p.....interestingly still getting virus and spyware definitions coming down for Microsoft security essentials (though read an article saying yhis would be withdrawn along with support)
Yet if you pay for Microsoft virtual desktop Windows 7 version
They are giving security updates until 2023
Bit naughty withdrawing it from normal Windows 7 users to push them to 10 when the security updates are still going to get made

Soldato
Yet if you pay for Microsoft virtual desktop Windows 7 version
They are giving security updates until 2023
Bit naughty withdrawing it from normal Windows 7 users to push them to 10 when the security updates are still going to get made

Not really naughty when they've serviced it for free for the 10 years they said they would. Extended support has always worked like this; if a business really wants to keep using an end of life product Microsoft will happily keep releasing security updates for them if you're prepared to pay for the privilege.

Soldato
Not really naughty when they've serviced it for free for the 10 years they said they would. Extended support has always worked like this; if a business really wants to keep using an end of life product Microsoft will happily keep releasing security updates for them if you're prepared to pay for the privilege.
Makes sense put like that
Though some one will probably publish the security updates somewhere or other

Back
Top Bottom