*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
8951530034.png

Ultimate Oomph ;) with UniFi Security Gateway 3P (no IDS/smart queues etc, hanging on for a UniFi Dream Machine Pro)

Last edited:
Soldato
OK, well the upload is 35Mbps (even Gig1 Fibre Broadband only gets 52Mbps) so it's doing what it "says on the tin", the ping is just to a local Speedtest server so I wouldn't get too excited that yours it 3ms lower than mine ;) (I'm not really an online gamer)

I was just trying to show that the 3P is capable of a higher download speed as I know you'd had issues.

Last edited:
Associate
New UDM firmware has been released tonight and is based on the new Unifi OS. I have upgraded my UDM but I haven't restored a backup, I have done a clean network setup instead. If you want to upgrade and restore your UDM then read the release notes carefully on the Unifi forum page.

Caporegime
Nice so rumours of people been throttled to 100MB on the UGS are incorrect?

no they aren't incorrect. if you have packet sniffing, QOS and other advanced features on it can only handle so much and throttles.

i believe a firmware improved this so you can have packet sniffing on and have no ill effect but the other thing that was causing it still does.

Caporegime
no they aren't incorrect. if you have packet sniffing, QOS and other advanced features on it can only handle so much and throttles.

i believe a firmware improved this so you can have packet sniffing on and have no ill effect but the other thing that was causing it still does.
Thank you, so it's still a robust solution without some of those advanced features turned on?

Caporegime
Thank you, so it's still a robust solution without some of those advanced features turned on?

Yeah. If you want to use the advanced stuff and still maintain really high speeds then you need to spend a lot more money.

I don't need packet sniffing. I only want speed. I don't care about security tbh. I don't go on stupid sites and I don't give my info away.

Nobody is going to target me specifically.

Soldato
It can have an impact depending on what bandwidth your internet connection is. The USG-3P should be fine to have all the bells and whistles on if your downstream is < 85Mbps. Anything over that and you'll find the USG is limiting throughput.

Caporegime
Silly question alert, why have a hardware firewall without IDS? And are there any alternative solutions with wanting a firewall that can do IDS and high throughput without spending £hundreds on the next tier up? Perhaps another make of firewall* but I guess that you may lose some of the bells and whistles you get on a Unifi ecosystem?

*does Unifi stuff play well with a firewall running pfsense?

Last edited:
Soldato

Depends on what you mean by play well. I have a UAP ecosystem with pfSense as my firewall and it is fine, but the only real 'interaction' with the two is VLAN tagging on the UAPs and the DHCP server and rules on pfSense. No problem what so ever as everything follows the standards. Obviously you lose the ability to control both Access Points and firewall in the controller and you get less pretty graphs but functionality wise you can still do what you want, just through two UIs.

Soldato
Silly question alert, why have a hardware firewall without IDS? And are there any alternative solutions with wanting a firewall that can do IDS and high throughput without spending £hundreds on the next tier up? Perhaps another make of firewall* but I guess that you may lose some of the bells and whistles you get on a Unifi ecosystem?

IDS is i would suggest is tin foil hat protection.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just been pulling my hair out with my USG, lights on but no boot after power failure.
I was just about to pack it up for RMA when I thought I’d try another 12v adapter, had a 1.5A plug knocking about, as you do.

Swapped it out and hey presto, it booted up fine.

Just checked on the Ubiquiti forums, turns out the USG power adapters are utter tosh.

No company has confused me more in regards to quality control, both software and hardware.

Back
Top Bottom