Lost my 14 1/2 year old Setter, Poppy

Soldato
Well, its been a year now, still miss her, but things are easier, or lets say less emotional. I keep coming back to this thread when I feel down about it, it helps, so I thank you all - the internet is not all bad!

Another dog will never truly replace one which is lost, but they're always a great shout when the time is right.

Big hugs.

Soldato
RIP Poppy.

Still brings a tear to my eye when I think about our lab that we lost 18 months ago.

I don't think it ever gets easier. I've always grown up with dogs and I've missed having one around the last few years since I've been renting but I always go home to walk my mums dog on the weekends. My first dog, Dino, was a doberman crossed with a collie. Honestly the best friend any Kid could have wanted to grow up with. We had him from birth and I can remember returning home from Tenerife from my first holiday back to my nans house and just seeing this tiny ball of fluff that Beau, his mother, gave birth to. He passed away suddenly when I was about 16 but those 12 years were some of the best years of my life. Even now when I think about him I just wish I could take him on one more walk and throw one more ball.

We humans do not deserve the love dogs show us.

Associate
Very sorry for your loss.

We had a Red Setter and I was taking her out for a walk; we set off, only after a short distance, she stopped in her tracks, a wimper and she keeled over. Managed to comfort her final moments - but (thankfully) it was quick.

Still remember it like yesterday and just posting this - brought it all back. Really feel for your family.

Would have another Setter in a heartbeat, glorious dogs and a pretty rare sight, seemingly small dogs have taken over!

Soldato
i lost my amazing boy Bill in may ,still miss him terribly,look at the chair where he used to sit all the time .
he reached 16 ,good age for a ridgeback mastiff cross ,his legs became too weak to walk more than afew feet but we took him swimming and custom made a dog pushchair for him ,had so many happy days down on polly joke beach.
dont feel ready to go through this all again but miss having a dog

Soldato
OP
Last year was a crazy year, back in Sep the wife and I went our separate ways, I thought the loss of Poppy brought us closer together but I was wrong, on many levels. Luckily I still see the kids almost every day, and have the boy 4 nights a week but this past few months, on the nights when he is away, is a time where I have missed Poppy the most - dogs are amazing at just being a there as a friend, which I do have lots, and a strong family, but Poppy was a special mate. I like to say I was privileged to have her, I will find another, but not to replace her, but I think she was the one who had me.

Even my Dad, who I brought a setter for him (called Lily) on his 65th birthday, (he hadn't had a dog since losing our 2 family setters to old age 30 years ago) said she was special, and both my Mum and Dad absolutely dote on their Lily!

Time to look forward without forgetting the past. As soon as I am settled again, a dog will be the first thing to keep me level, lets hope the new one will be as forgiving and loving as Poppy (or half as much will be enough).

Thanks for the posts, you don't know how much a difference it makes (and neither did I until now)

Soldato
Deepest condolences for your loss. Dogs really are part of the family - I hope once you’re in a better place you can love another equally as much as you obviously loved Poppy.

Soldato
Sorry to hear this Tbird, I feel your pain. We lost out collie lab cross Bella a couple of years ago at a similar age...I'm still sore about it now. 14 years is good going for a dog, but still a tragically short time for an animal which gives you so much love, affection and loyalty. All dogs really do is break your heart :(

Soldato
OP
Grace.jpg
Well here she is, not a replacement for my loved Poppy, but this is Grace....
Grace.jpg

Soldato
Not sure if confused but I seem to remember you discussing/sharing pics of her a lonnnng time ago. Beautiful dog.

This is what scares me about getting a dog but it's all about the good times and great memories they give you. At least she didn't suffer and it looks like she had an amazing life. Chin up mate and make some great new memories with the latest family member!! :)

Soldato
OP
Lost Poppy in Jan 2019, taken a while to get up the courage to get another, but the new picture is Grace, another Red Setter and I picked her up today, my parents sorted it out for me as they decided that it was time for me to start smiling again....and I am, she is lovely

Soldato
Sorry to hear about your loss, even if it was quite a while ago now.

I recently lost my childhood dog, Alfie, this last Saturday as well. Suspected stroke as he lost control of portions of his upper body and couldn't lift his head by himself any more. Just happened all of a sudden out of nowhere. It's been really tough trying to get used to the fact that your dog of just over 15 years (more than half my life) is just... gone.

I doubt I could get another dog for a long time if ever, after this.

Back
Top Bottom