Suffering from neighbors poorly installed chimney

Associate
Last year the neighbor decided to install a new log burner into their single story extension. We are in a smoke free zone and although they are using smokeless fuel, the stink and fumes still infest the back room on my house closest to it. Worse still they insist on having it lit 18 hours a day 7 days a week. I work in this room and can only cope with 2-3 hours before I'm overcome by the fumes and have to take an hour break to get some clean air.

The land goes up at the back so when standing in my garden the chimney exits at roughly head height. Does anyone have any experience with chimneys installed so low. Surely this thing cant be legal, should I inform the council?

In the interim I'm looking to pickup an air purifier so I can keep working in that room, does anyone have any recommendations that would tackle smoke specifically?

chimney.JPG

Bat

Bat

Associate
If they aren't open to an amicable discussion about it, then I would look to report it to local building control. I don't think any sort of air purifier is going to do any good.

Soldato
not an expert though have worked for few property developers in the past
i assume that needs building regs or a hetas certificate
so thats one line of enquiry
i think it should clear that roof by 1.8m if thats classed as a combustible roof-though thats debatable given the amount of water laying on it lol
and cant tell if its 1.8m from photo
contact council building regs/inspector
and yeah fumes may mean can try enviromental health too

i assume you already spoke politely to neighbours about it ?
would be first thing i would have done any way before going official route

Soldato
Pretty sure there are regulations regarding how far the flue has to extend up and out. That doesn't look good enough I'd have thought

Associate
OP
Fairly crap looking extension really. what is with the sheeting and bricks?

Did he build it himself?

yes it’s a self build - no planing permission.

The bricks have been there for a year and a half, holding it together. I assumed it was still a work-in-progress but perhaps it’s part of the design!

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't bother speaking to the neighbour first. This is affecting your health. If it was me I'd get the number for building control at your local council, give them a ring and explain the situation. I'm sure they will be more than helpful. Get them to come out and inspect and take it from there.

Soldato
That is pretty inconsiderate. Sadly it's endemic of people practically living on top of each other in the UK.

I doubt the council will actually bother doing anything, you'd be best to build the fence on your side higher as barrier to the smoke and as an added bonus you won't have to look at their shanty town style extension.

Back
Top Bottom