Etiquette for Lycra Clad Nutters?

Man of Honour
I my opinion people should have a combination of both lights and bright colours / high vis. Research has also shown reflective strips on the legs or shoes is even better as they constantly move so catch the light repeatedly.

Yeah at least one case where I've only spotted a cyclist in the dark in time due to them wearing white socks - all other clothing dark colours and not properly working lights.

Soldato
No, it isn't.

Well, Relatively :D

The full throttle, kickdown, 4.2 litres worth of straight through exhaust, boost compensator put to max, redline turbo diesel wonderfulness is reserved specifically for jerk cyclists on single track roads who refuse to take the, literally 3-4 seconds worth of time, to tuck into a passing place to allow me to get past them! :mad:

Stage one for normal driving, Think stage two for driving hard!

(3 and 4 are just silly :p )

On the rare occasion, like once every two years or so, that a cyclist does pull over, they get a trickle past with no smoke. (There are a lot of single track roads round here and a lot of inconsiderate jerk cyclists who ride on them too!)

Apart from that, Kickdown is hardly ever used...

If cyclists were nicer and more considerate people (As a demographic) the world would be a nicer place for cyclists!

(Mind, I was producing a whole lot less smut yesterday on the A31 with my 25 year old Landcruiser than the guy who passed in the relatively modern Audi at "Stage 4" and actually managed to leave a large smut splat on the road surface! so new isn't necessarily better! :eek: )

Soldato
sad really - but you can see why evolution has treated father xmas kindly

49402909016_62bd6b23f9_c_d.jpg

club for earlier incident - http://www.northroadcc.org.uk/repor...d-open-time-trials/results/christmas-10-2019/

Soldato
It doesn’t change the point that they should be illegal.

Purposely filling another humans lungs with toxic fumes and particulates because they duels you up for a few minutes is utterly abhorrent. Over time it can cause people serious and lasting damage, particularly children.

Soldato
Should be illegal to have diesels like that

It is. Just like removing a cat. But it's un-enforcable. They won't do it with police around and the police can't check every single car.

If it was me I'd use a smoke launcher. Nice bright orange, so they all come out looking like Trump :D

Soldato
*REBOOT* - well this guy was really a motorcylist
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/thomas-hanlon-ebike-sakine-cihan-dalston-crash-a4376446.html

So he got off killing a pedestarin by carelesss driving/riding his motorised bicycle at 30mph and killing a lady who didn't see him. ?
Mr Hanlon, who declined to give evidence, accepted he did not have a licence or insurance but disputed there had been a fault in the driving which contributed in a more than a minimal way to the death.

Questions I'd have
- did bicyle have a braking system, or competent rider too, for riding at 30mph in that environment. ie not careless ... he's a heavyweight
- pedestrian wouldn't have expected a cyclist at 30mph

Caporegime
One of the reasons I have a dashcam these days despite the hate they get from certain individuals :D would potentially make a big difference in defence.

I've already posted on here about how it did for a friend of my father. He ran over and killed a 7 year old kid who ran from between 2 parked cars.
Even the kid's mum said he wasn't to blame in the slightest but the police and cps wouldn't hear it. Charged with death by dangerous and a couple of other things.
Went to court, dashcam footage was shown and completely absolved him of any wrong-doing. Judge was mystified how it even got to court - turns out nobody had bothered to ask him for his side of events! Basically you killed a child therefore must be guilty.

Soldato
you can see'ish more details/cam here .
https://road.cc/content/news/271675...ing-london-pedestrians-death-careless-driving.

cyclist on his 30mph machine probably presented small/unexpected target on her peripheral vision , it's almost the reverse of the think Bike, pulling-out scenario.

edit:
A bystander is seen pleading with the cyclist to stay but he ignores his protests and continues to walk down the street.

His mountain bike-style powered cycle, made by Specialized, was later found abandoned a mile away in Approach Close in Stoke Newington.

A worker at the Vape Shop, who witnessed the collision, told Sun Online: “The guy [on the bike] was holding his electric bike as he walked off because the front tyre was bent.

“People were shouting at him to wait and he was bleeding, he had a cut above his eye.

“He ran down the street then turned left by the cinema. People were shouting ‘wait, wait’ but he didn’t. People were mainly attending to the injured woman as she was bleeding a lot from the head.”

Soldato
you can see'ish more details/cam here .
https://road.cc/content/news/271675...ing-london-pedestrians-death-careless-driving.

cyclist on his 30mph machine probably presented small/unexpected target on her peripheral vision , it's almost the reverse of the think Bike, pulling-out scenario.

I have little sympathy for the cyclist as he is obviously riding an illegaly modified ebike so he should suffer whatever the punishment he gets but it is generally nothing to do with small target etc but nearly always to do with pedestrians not looking whilst crossing the road because they dont hear anything coming. The amount of times Ive been out on my bike in the mornings and people just step out into the road without looking and I have to shout out "Look out" is rediculous and it isnt always phone zombies either

Back
Top Bottom