Escape from Tarkov

Associate
I know I could cheese the maps and extractions by just opening a map on a website but I dont want to do that, I want to learn them rather than just cheese it.

I have the map open on a second monitor and still struggle to find the extractions, I just can't get my bearings and even having a map don't help much with that.
Need to invest the time I guess, and that's just one map.
I can be standing in what I think is an extraction and nothing happens :(
I did however loot a bag and find some electrical tape, spent the next 15 mins finding an extraction - success my first looted item :o we all gotta start somewhere

Associate
How long do you need to be in a raid to loose the "run through status" bit peeved my last run did'nt count towards my scav kill quest, I assume if you exit early you don't get task progress?

Soldato
@Tombstone @YoungBlood best advice to new players is come on the Discord and play with some others. We're all friendly and helpful and will be able to do some guided runs through. Don't keep solo'ing as it will grind you down and you'll want to quit.

I've had the game since launch 3 years ago and was still fairly green on the game. I've dipped in and out over the years and the latest patch fixed everything that originally annoyed me about the game for the most part. Having played with the Discord regulars I've gained strong map and game knowledge and can now happily solo a lot of areas.

Man of Honour
Some of the extraction points are fairly easy to work out, like on customs when the extraction point is Smugglers Boat, thats pretty self explanatory, look around for a boat. Other times though, when it says extraction point - Z1011. I mean, thats pretty useless to a player as to where that might be.

Soldato
Some of the extraction points are fairly easy to work out, like on customs when the extraction point is Smugglers Boat, thats pretty self explanatory, look around for a boat. Other times though, when it says extraction point - Z1011. I mean, thats pretty useless to a player as to where that might be.

However smugglers boat is a timed extract that isn't always open, only when campfire is lit. That's what all the extracts with ??? are, might or might not be open. Can also mean they need a specific key or money to use.

Get yourself a map downloaded for the extracts, in no time you'll know all 20+ on customs off my heart, same for the hidden ground stashes. :)

Man of Honour
However smugglers boat is a timed extract that isn't always open, only when campfire is lit. That's what all the extracts with ??? are, might or might not be open. Can also mean they need a specific key or money to use.

Get yourself a map downloaded for the extracts, in no time you'll know all 20+ on customs off my heart, same for the hidden ground stashes. :)

Ahh, so thats what the ??? means, thanks ! Didnt see that explained anywhere !

Yeah I know I can download maps or put them on a second monitor but I dont want to do it that way, I figure if they had wanted us to have a website with a map on it they would have just given us a proper ingame map, so instead I will learn the maps by exploration ingame. Which is fine, I'm ok with taking the time to learn them, I just wish that some of the extraction names were a little more insightful than things like Z011. I'm the same with loot and stashes etc, I want to learn where they are through ingame exploring of the maps rather than looking on a website because again, I figure if they had intended us to look for the locations on an online map they would have just provided indicators to them ingame instead :)

Edit : in no way intended as a negative comment to people who do the above, its just a personal thing that I try to stay as close to a games design as possible, even if it means making things tougher on myself

Associate
Ahh, so thats what the ??? means, thanks ! Didnt see that explained anywhere !

Yeah I know I can download maps or put them on a second monitor but I dont want to do it that way, I figure if they had wanted us to have a website with a map on it they would have just given us a proper ingame map, so instead I will learn the maps by exploration ingame. Which is fine, I'm ok with taking the time to learn them, I just wish that some of the extraction names were a little more insightful than things like Z011

Fair enough, you are in for a world of pain though. When you kill a fully geared PMC for the first time i can promise you that you won't be wanting to 'explore' to find the extract :p

Man of Honour
Yeah i think that's a really bad idea. It's very unlikely you'll just come across them.
Fair enough, you are in for a world of pain though. When you kill a fully geared PMC for the first time i can promise you that you won't be wanting to 'explore' to find the extract :p

Thats ok, I'm not planning on playing this for a short while, I'm planning on playing it for years, plenty of time to learn them. I spent years in many MMOs and discovered loads of hidden locations and stashes in time. As for the struggle, thats ok, despite the nature of this game its still softcore compared to some titles I've played. I've survived far worse struggles in games, I can survive the struggle in this. I simply do not rage quit games because I dont get stressed that much over them :)

As I say, for me its a matter of principal in how I play games and I wont drop my principals (in anything in life) to make something easier for myself. I think maybe I'm a masochist :D

Man of Honour
@Tombstone you do know you can use in game maps right? Buy them from flea or the trader, they're not especially detailed but they are there.

Yeah I've literally just bought one of those, looks super useful, especially with being able to put markers on it. I'll use the exploration mode to wander the map and put some markers on it.

Back
Top Bottom